New to Princess, Comparing Mini Suites to Deluxe Balconies for Family of Four

Yellowlily

Hi there, looking into booking a British Isles cruise on the Regal Princess, new to Princess (seasoned cruiser but new to Princess).  We are a family of 4 and usually book a balcony cabin and have opted for a suite before on past sailings.  Was wondering if a Mini Suite vs. Deluxe Balcony (2 adults and 2 kids - one teen/one pre-teen) would be a better choice for comfort for our family.  Im guessing it would be worth the cost but wondered exactly difference between two cabins and what the bed configurations are like for the kids. 

Just started doing research recently and very much looking forward to cruise planning! 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Which ship?  GrandGem class or Royal class?

Mini-suites (not even close to a suite) has a bathtub/shower combo.

Is the teen over 16?  for their own/shared interior?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which ship?  GrandGem class or Royal class?

Mini-suites (not even close to a suite) has a bathtub/shower combo.

Is the teen over 16?  for their own/shared interior?

OP stated Regal Princess.  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would def. go for the mini-suite.

The deluxe balcony would have the berths for the teens right there in the same cabin area as the beds.

These are only a few extra feet more than the standard balcony cabins.

In a mini-suite at least the areas are divided.  The extra beds are where the sofa is.  I believe, for four with separate beds, the pull-down will come down over the sofa.

And there is the curtain there, that at least provides some kind of division space.

To bad Princess doesn't have cabins with the split bath like Disney, and some cabins on Carnival.

Of course,  one bathroom for the four guests. It is a slightly larger bath with a small tub, instead of just the small corner shower.

I am assuming that you are not considering two cabins...  Especially with the third and fourth guests Promo.

If you can't spring for two cabins, go for at least a min-suite.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I found this here on CC.....   

The SECOND photo is a mini-suite, vs a deluxe balcony

And, there are curtains on both the left and right, between the main bed and the extra beds.  I don't know if they close all the way???

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Yellowlily said:

Hi there, looking into booking a British Isles cruise on the Regal Princess, new to Princess (seasoned cruiser but new to Princess).  We are a family of 4 and usually book a balcony cabin and have opted for a suite before on past sailings.  Was wondering if a Mini Suite vs. Deluxe Balcony (2 adults and 2 kids - one teen/one pre-teen) would be a better choice for comfort for our family.  Im guessing it would be worth the cost but wondered exactly difference between two cabins and what the bed configurations are like for the kids. 

Just started doing research recently and very much looking forward to cruise planning! 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

While I'm not normally a mini-suite fan, in this case - probably a better choice for your family than a Deluxe Balcony.  

The mini-suite will have the two kids in their own area, in their own separate beds with a curtain dividing them from your bed area, and their own TV. Of course, still only one bathroom, but it's slightly larger than the one in a Deluxe Balcony, with a tub rather than just a shower.   

The Deluxe Balcony, which is my usual choice in a Royal class ship (like Regal), is plenty space for 2 or even 3, but add that fourth and it's quite tight. When the sofa bed is out, it blocks the balcony door, as does the Pullman berth, which is right in front of the balcony door!  Plus, no divider curtain, and one TV.  

Of course, budget, etc all okay a role also. The Deluxe Balcony would work, just a bit tight. The mini gives more space and some spot of privacy, so to speak...

Below is a pic of the mini-suite with the beds made up for the 2 kids . 

Happy sails. 

images.jpeg

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

5 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Wow, thank you soooo much!!

17 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I would def. go for the mini-suite.

The deluxe balcony would have the berths for the teens right there in the same cabin area as the beds.

These are only a few extra feet more than the standard balcony cabins.

In a mini-suite at least the areas are divided.  The extra beds are where the sofa is.  I believe, for four with separate beds, the pull-down will come down over the sofa.

And there is the curtain there, that at least provides some kind of division space.

To bad Princess doesn't have cabins with the split bath like Disney, and some cabins on Carnival.

Of course,  one bathroom for the four guests. It is a slightly larger bath with a small tub, instead of just the small corner shower.

I am assuming that you are not considering two cabins...  Especially with the third and fourth guests Promo.

If you can't spring for two cabins, go for at least a min-suite.

Yes, you are correct, thought about the two cabins but don't want to pass up on the 3rd + 4th guests Promo.  That is wonderful info you gave, thank you very much! Sounds like the Mini-suite is probably the way to go for sure.  

I hear ya about those Disney split baths - wow, those are nice!!  

• Like 1

Book the mini suite as the deluxe balcony has less drawers in it than ordinary balconies, due to the space that the lounge takes up.

The mini suite will have a lot more storage room which will be needed for a family of four.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

While I'm not normally a mini-suite fan, in this case - probably a better choice for your family than a Deluxe Balcony.  

The mini-suite will have the two kids in their own area, in their own separate beds with a curtain dividing them from your bed area, and their own TV. Of course, still only one bathroom, but it's slightly larger than the one in a Deluxe Balcony, with a tub rather than just a shower.   

The Deluxe Balcony, which is my usual choice in a Royal class ship (like Regal), is plenty space for 2 or even 3, but add that fourth and it's quite tight. When the sofa bed is out, it blocks the balcony door, as does the Pullman berth, which is right in front of the balcony door!  Plus, no divider curtain, and one TV.  

Of course, budget, etc all okay a role also. The Deluxe Balcony would work, just a bit tight. The mini gives more space and some spot of privacy, so to speak...

Below is a pic of the mini-suite with the beds made up for the 2 kids . 

Happy sails. 

images.jpeg

wonderful - thank you very much for the information!  Fantastic!  Sounds like the mini suite will be a great choice for us!

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Yellowlily said:

thank you all for the great information, looks like the mini suite for the win!  now to more cruise planning!  Happy Sails all and thanks so much again!

For full information, here's what a Deluxe Balcony is like, you can see the Pullman in the ceiling by the balcony 

And, a video walkthrough with the beds set up - you can see how they block the balcony, and how tight it is when all put out for bed. https://youtu.be/76qsqMA-f5I?si=L4R6SrhThhpJvRod

Mini-suite is definitely a better choice when talking teen/almost teen as 3 and 4 passengers..   smaller kids, the Deluxe would work well...

FB_IMG_1673140067850.thumb.jpg.3d65af7a9631a1fa68e424c4e74a7d9e.jpg

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 2

You may want to check out the full suites especially if they include the 3rd and 4th free.  The suites are way less expensive on the Regal out of Galveston.  I booked a full suite with 4 people and total cost was under $8,000 and that included Princess Plus for all 4.  I went through the big box company and will also get a 465 gift card from them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

And, there are curtains on both the left and right, between the main bed and the extra beds.  I don't know if they close all the way???

Yes, the curtain does close all the way. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Not a great video, as it was filmed vertically instead of landscape...   (and turn down the sound)

This is on the Sky,  so different linens, drapes, etc...   But VERY similar cabin.

Thank you so much for this, extremely helpful!!