TRANSPORTATION FROM HEATHROW AIRPORT TO SOUTHAMPTON

Would like recommendations for transportation from Heathrow airport to Southampton and Southampton to London. This will be for August 1st and August 11th. I will be very grateful for whatever anyone has to offer.  Thank you!

Gitana

Posted (edited)

Your best guide would be to go on the London/England board on this site.  There is a great source who calls himself John Bull.  He gave me correct info when DH & I spent some time there before taking a 15 day TA to Ft. Lauderdale in 2018.  We took the National Express bus from Heathrow to London for our 2 day stay.  Then we went from London to Southhampton.  It was 5 BP/each for seniors w/a 1 BP service charge from airport to London.

I don't remember how much to the cruise port.  It took about 2+ hours on a very comfortable & clean bus.

Edited by shofer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gitana said:

Would like recommendations for transportation from Heathrow airport to Southampton and Southampton to London. This will be for August 1st and August 11th. I will be very grateful for whatever anyone has to offer.  Thank you!

Gitana

National Express direct coach, if you’re not going into Central London 

We did National Express from Heathrow to Southampton.   From Southampton to London, we used International Friends.  Tours of Salisbury Cathedral, Stonehenge, and Windsor Castle were included, and they dropped us at our hotel. 

• Like 1

If you, like me, hate coach travel and would prefer the train, use a website called Trainline.

Even though you normally have to change twice (first at Hayes & Harlington and then at Reading) it's usually still quicker than the awful National Express coaches which don't take a direct route and are subject to the inevitable traffic delays on the M25 and M3 motorways.

If you don't mind cost the folks at westquaycars do a great job.  Around  140 pounds.   They pick up in front of smith's store just to right of international flight exit.   We used them to hotel in southampton. App won't download in us but you can set it up with email and call in credit card number later. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tatra603 said:

If you, like me, hate coach travel and would prefer the train, use a website called Trainline.

Even though you normally have to change twice (first at Hayes & Harlington and then at Reading) it's usually still quicker than the awful National Express coaches which don't take a direct route and are subject to the inevitable traffic delays on the M25 and M3 motorways.

Don't use the trainline. They're a 3rd party that charge a booking fee.

Book with any of the train companies (TPExpress / Northern / Southern / Crosscountry). Pay exactly the same price. Avoid the booking fee.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2024 at 12:23 AM, little britain said:

National Express direct coach, if you’re not going into Central London 

Wondering if we should buy tickets before we leave home or wait until we land at Heathrow to get them. Will cost and availability be the same? Thank you.

• Like 1

They are normally a bit cheaper if you book ahead and it will also guarantee you a seat. The only thing it might be worth doing, is to pay the extra (£5 I think) that allows you to change your ticket to a later service if you happen to get held up (eg late arrival, queues in immigration etc). If this happens, there are National Express offices in all the terminals.

Simon

Definitely pre-book Nat. Express, the buses don't have elastic sides.

But I don't think there's a great difference - if any - in the price.

Because of the potential for delays in flight arrival or airport formalities, you can't be sure of your arrival time at the bus stop (T's 4 & 5) or bus station (other terminals), so definitely take @sddsddean.s advice and pay the little extra for flexibility.

Because the flexibility is subject to seat availability, best to book for a later coach (say 2hrs+ after scheduled landing) to be sure of a seat on that coach, and use that flexibility to switch to an earlier one if all goes smoothly.

JB 🙂

On 1/6/2024 at 8:10 AM, LeeW said:

If you don't mind cost the folks at westquaycars do a great job.  Around  140 pounds.   They pick up in front of smith's store just to right of international flight exit.   We used them to hotel in southampton. App won't download in us but you can set it up with email and call in credit card number later. 

Thanks

I think this a good option how long it takes from the airport to undecided hotel in Southampton do you have to reserve  and prepay ?TIA 

6 hours ago, SEA DOGY said:

Thanks

I think this a good option how long it takes from the airport to undecided hotel in Southampton do you have to reserve  and prepay ?TIA 

Depending on your LHR terminal, Westquay's pick-up point may not be exactly the same as @LeeW, but it will certainly be in the terminal Arrivals Hall.

Excluding any major delays, drive-time about 80 to 90 minutes.

They're Southampton-based - definitely pre-book & get a fixed price, but the same applies to any LHR / Southampton operator.

Don't just take a taxi from the airport taxi-rank - taxis are fine for short journeys but for that distance it'd cost your entire cruise budget and the taxi driver could buy a retirement apartment in Spain 😏

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, John Bull said:

Depending on your LHR terminal, Westquay's pick-up point may not be exactly the same as @LeeW, but it will certainly be in the terminal Arrivals Hall.

Excluding any major delays, drive-time about 80 to 90 minutes.

They're Southampton-based - definitely pre-book & get a fixed price, but the same applies to any LHR / Southampton operator.

Don't just take a taxi from the airport taxi-rank - taxis are fine for short journeys but for that distance it'd cost your entire cruise budget and the taxi driver could buy a retirement apartment in Spain 😏

JB 🙂

Haha.  Thank you so much