Single cost more than double

10 minutes ago, RHudson1825 said:

Some other lines will match loyalty to their program. Looking at Princess

Me too I'm on a princess cruise later this month and just became Elite plus this year but I don't care they were much cheaper for a similar sailing.

20 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Agree and right now every cruise line is competitive and watching each other.

after-all travel came back in 2022 from pandemic and soon folks will not tolerate price gauging unless they can afford it.

Even if one can afford it why would anyone tolerate this based alone on Principle.  

• Like 4

On 1/6/2024 at 4:52 AM, RHudson1825 said:

I often cruise solo and celebrities new policy of not just charging double but more than double for singles cruisers is very frustrating. Thankfully other cruise lines are more friendly to singles (sometimes only 1.5x) and are starting to match loyalty level. I will be spending my money where I am welcome and appreciated. Celebrity monitors this site, are others as frustrated? 

That is typical of most cruise lines I have found.  Some cruise lines have single only cabins including X on some ships, but haven't really seen much savings.  There is a 3rd party website I check occasionally which I cannot mention by name that I can navigate to single pricing and it shows what percentage surcharge they charge.  Most are 100% on there but some are 0% or just above. 

Maybe positive sign - I did a few test bookings for Winter 2024 and it looks like solos are actually discounted slightly (looked at Eclipse and apex in November) and substantially discounted in retreat cabins with a 2K-3K savings. I thought maybe they backtracked but over the summer of 2024 and everything I found still has the extra surcharge for solos. 

Looking into 2025 summer months still have the surcharge, but winter 2025 looks to have the 

Also, when booking thorough the consumer website I waws not able to add a refundable deposit option to solo retreat bookings but could still do it on the TA side. 

Not sure if this is a glitch or an intentional change on their part, but any solos looking at winter sailings I would suggest trying to nab one ASAP. 

The winter sailings that have discounted solo pricing have a promo code "SINGLES" attached to it. Summer sailings have the "RET 2PK SGL" or "NOPERK SGL" promo. 

Some people are reporting the new info from celebrity is this is a 'glitch'. Hopefully that means they realized their error and will 'fix' it like they have with many of the other customer negative things they have rolled out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

I emailed Laura yesterday and received this reply this morning regarding single fares

Screenshot_20240112-100245.png

Thats good to hear or I would have gone elsewhere 

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't tolerate it.

well I agree for the most part only new ships would I pay higher to go on.   Doing the new Icon in May but I got my room back when prices where just high not Highest.  

33 minutes ago, johhnnyt said:

I emailed Laura yesterday and received this reply this morning regarding single fares

Screenshot_20240112-100245.png

Two things:

1) The unfair rates will continue through next week. Why not dump them immediately or at least ASAP? I think I know the answer to this.

2) By my reading, 25% of fares will continue to have extortionate pricing. Why not get rid of it entirely? I think I know the answer to this one too.

The devil is in the details, but color me unimpressed. 😠

• Like 3

16 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Even if one can afford it why would anyone tolerate this based alone on Principle.  

well everywhere prices are higher than normal.  So we have become accustom just a bit and yes it is like arguments, pick and choose what you can bear. 

15 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Two things:

1) The unfair rates will continue through next week. Why not dump them immediately or at least ASAP? I think I know the answer to this.

Considering I opened a support ticket with Google last week and it took almost a week to roll back an issue they released, I don't expect X to be quick 🤪

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RHudson1825 said:

Celebrities tech is dodgy at best. Would rather they treat it and get it right. 

Yes me too. I've already found a cruise for next fall less than double occupancy

On 1/10/2024 at 9:44 AM, RHudson1825 said:

I get the hotel room price. In the US rooms are booked by the room, not the number of people. As a solo I am fine paying what the room cost would be for two. Not more as they want. I enjoy cruises with other solos on it to meet new people and have fun. I usually go in Jan/Feb and book my next year's on board. Will not do that this year. 

This is my point of view, as well, paying double isn't fun, but understandable.  I won't pay over that. On my first two cruises, I think I also got "75% off second guess" discount for the one cabin, which I understand they are also taking away.  Seems like it's going to be goodbye to Celebrity for me.

• Like 1

The worst result of this Celebrity price gouging, whether it is corrected or not, is that I don’t trust them!  I had a great rate on a 11/24 transatlantic in a solo balcony on the Apex at a very good rate including OBC.  They canceled the cruise and rebooked us on a newly created transatlantic in the same month giving additional OBC.  They canceled that cruise and took back some of the OBC.  Since that time all the solo balconies on the newer ships (Edge, Apex, beyond, Ascent) that I have priced have been more that a dole occ balcony for 1 person.  These solo rooms were clearly created for solos, but it appears that Celebrity had a change of heart after booking began.  Trust is one of the most important factors that any business can garner.  It is fragile and they lost mine!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, RHudson1825 said:

Anyone seen the 'corrected' pricing? Priced a few and solo still thousands more than 2 in the cabin combined. 

As per Laura's message above, 75% of cabins will be priced double or under for singles. So maybe it is a matter of the itineraries that interest you.

Which sailings did you price?

I priced two itineraries, Fiji Transpacific for 2024 (Aqua) and 2025 (Concierge), and for both of them it came a bit under double.

31 minutes ago, tjunmin said:

As per Laura's message above, 75% of cabins will be priced double or under for singles. So maybe it is a matter of the itineraries that interest you.

Which sailings did you price?

I priced two itineraries, Fiji Transpacific for 2024 (Aqua) and 2025 (Concierge), and for both of them it came a bit under double.

I was looking at Norway and transatlantic. None should be more than double, honestly. Glad some are priced fairly but really doesn't make up for the reality they are gouging solos 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RHudson1825 said:

I was looking at Norway and transatlantic. None should be more than double, honestly. Glad some are priced fairly but really doesn't make up for the reality they are gouging solos 

I see what you mean. I priced a Transatlantic (Prime Aqua) and the single price came over double, as you said. But I was surprised when I priced a Norway sailing (Prime Aqua), and the single supplement was an absurd 171%. What the?!?!?!

• Like 1

Well, after being unsure if I would ever sail with Celebrity again I am glad to say I snagged one of their discounted solo pricing on a November 24 & February 25 sailing. Glad to see they are changing course. 

On 1/12/2024 at 10:11 AM, Random Cruizer said:

This is my point of view, as well, paying double isn't fun, but understandable.  I won't pay over that. On my first two cruises, I think I also got "75% off second guess" discount for the one cabin, which I understand they are also taking away.  Seems like it's going to be goodbye to Celebrity for me.

The 75% or sailings is dubious to me. Sounds like it will be hit or miss - guess it is definitely buyer be ware when booking! 

Just did a mock booking on the Reflection for March 10th. A suite guarantee for two people was $4900. Not too bad but a suite guarantee for one person was $10,000. I’d make up a name and book two and just say the other person is checking in later. That’s ridiculous 

24 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

Just did a mock booking on the Reflection for March 10th. A suite guarantee for two people was $4900. Not too bad but a suite guarantee for one person was $10,000. I’d make up a name and book two and just say the other person is checking in later. That’s ridiculous 

I have found this to be the case in several mock bookings I have done and in some cases the cabins that are “solo” cabins are priced higher than if you book a double for a solo.