Question about the Paid wait list for cabins

chamima

Posted (edited)

The cabin category we wanted for an upcoming cruise was all booked so the Future Cruise Consultant onboard our cruise suggested I make a $200 waitlist reservation (alongside the real reservation I made for the next best cabin category.)

My question is - does this "waitlist" really put me ahead of those just checking online to see if a cabin in that category becomes available?

Or do I need to constantly check availability myself?

Thanks

Edited by chamima

26 minutes ago, chamima said:

The cabin category we wanted for an upcoming cruise was all booked so the Future Cruise Consultant onboard our cruise suggested I make a $200 waitlist reservation (alongside the real reservation I made for the next best cabin category.)

My question is - does this "waitlist" really put me ahead of those just checking online to see if a cabin in that category becomes available?

Thanks

I wouldn’t give them more money. You can cancel and rebook before final payment if you have a refundable deposit and you can bid later on.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

I think he means he paid the $200 for a fcc and then was put on a wait list for the cruise he wanted 

No. I booked a cabin in a different category but the Future Cruise Consultant (this was on  Princess ship) said that for a $200 deposit I would be put on a waitlist for the category that was sold out. I made that $200 deposit so I am on that supposed waitlist. I also have a cabin booked in a different category for that cruise.

(I had 4 usable FCCs that she said would NOT put me on the waitlist but did qualify as my deposit for the available cabin)

Disputing that this happened doesn't help to answer my question .

I'm asking people who were in my situation in the past if Princess actually goes to this waitlist first when cabins become available or if I need to keep monitoring my cruise for availability myself.

Edited by chamima

2 minutes ago, chamima said:

Disputing that this happened doesn't help to answer my question .

I'm asking people who were in my situation in the past if Princess actually goes to this waitlist first when cabins become available or if I need to keep monitoring my cruise for availability myself.

I can't speak for others...but *I* certainly did not mean to imply that this did not happen.  Sorry if I gave that impression.  It's just that in MANY years of cruising with Princess I have never heard of this practice.  It may very well be something that has just been introduced.  If so, you might not get any "good" answers because the likelihood of others having seen it might be slim to none.

I hope you get everything sorted out.

• Thanks 1

We did this on another line for the cruise itself. We were told that if we go ahead and pay the deposit for the cruise, we would be more likely to cleared if there is a cancellation. The deposit was refundable and we had 48hrs after they called to cancel if it cleared with money returned. We cleared so it worked for us but I always wondered if there really was a list. I do understand the cruise lines thinking that you are going to be serious if you put money down.

ding, ding, ding

caribill

• caribill
  • September 12, 2005
  • League City, TX

Also was hit with the $300/person deposit instead of being able to use a FCC for a waitlist.

The travel agent I am using checks with Princess every workday to see if I have moved up the list. If your agent is not doing this, you need a new agent.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, chamima said:

Thanks

Never heard of this.  The future cruise consultant should know how this works, if you’re still OB?

Maybe it’s a new procedure or for the ONE agents OB?  Would be interested in knowing, also.

I hope they can help you, or a TA/CVP, if you used one.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I don't have any information on how Princess handles this.  But if it were me and the cabin category was important, I would be checking regularly myself.   That's what I did when I was on a wait list for a sold-out Princess excursion.  I didn't want to depend on a customer service person or some automated process to let me know.   

As it turned out, I was notified when the excursion opened up.  Perhaps that's an indication that you will be notified in your case.   Good luck and have a great cruise.  

• Thanks 1

I must have an accessible cabin if I am to sail. I have requested such a balcony cabin (pre-covid) and all were sold out. We were waitlisted but at that time could only choose one category rather than all accessible ones. I checked daily and was able to "grab" an oceanview accessible. I was never notified of the availability. However it was not a balcony which was what I was waitlisted for.

'

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, katisdale said:

I must have an accessible cabin if I am to sail. I have requested such a balcony cabin (pre-covid) and all were sold out. We were waitlisted but at that time could only choose one category rather than all accessible ones. I checked daily and was able to "grab" an oceanview accessible. I was never notified of the availability. However it was not a balcony which was what I was waitlisted for.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, please...but I *think* this may have been improved now when booking directly with Princess on the website.  When you start the booking process you should see:

accessible.jpg

I don't know exactly how that checkbox may improve the search...but at least it's there.

Of course, booking through a TA might be much more productive in this case.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie