How important is the Navigator App?

How important is it to have the Navigator App?  When I go to Google Play Store it says the app won't work on my phone. I also can't find the system requirements.

I have a Samsung A6 with Android 10 on it.  It's almost 5 years old, so I'm assuming it just doesn't have the minimum requirements.  What will I miss out on by not having the app on my phone?

You are fine without it....IMO.

Here is what we use it for (sometimes) and what is the alternative:

boarding pass at embarkation ......print it instead

ordering at dive in & NY pizza......order at the counter and get pager for when ready

daily schedule......paper schedule delivered to your room

communicate with guest services......visit guest services

use text feature to tell Her Majesty that I am at the bar.......leave paper note in room

Menu at MDR......view it on TV

onboard account (I think it is on there)......view it on TV

Others may have more but from our experience, anything you can do on the app, has an easy alternative.....Again, not missing out, IMO.....we've been known to lock away our phones and we are just fine.

Enjoy the cruise........

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

You are fine without it....IMO.

Here is what we use it for (sometimes) and what is the alternative:

boarding pass at embarkation ......print it instead

ordering at dive in & NY pizza......order at the counter and get pager for when ready

daily schedule......paper schedule delivered to your room

communicate with guest services......visit guest services

use text feature to tell Her Majesty that I am at the bar.......leave paper note in room

Menu at MDR......view it on TV

onboard account (I think it is on there)......view it on TV

Others may have more but from our experience, anything you can do on the app, has an easy alternative.....Again, not missing out, IMO.....we've been known to lock away our phones and we are just fine.

Enjoy the cruise........

In addition - if you have ship tours they will show up on your TV to verify meeting location and time and you can use your ship card when you check in for the tour.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

You can also go to navigator.hollandamerica.com using a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) when connected to the ship's WiFi and get the same information as the app gives you. I have always done this on my laptop, and I just verified that it works on my tablet which won't load the app.

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, newbie53 said:

How important is it to have the Navigator App?  When I go to Google Play Store it says the app won't work on my phone. I also can't find the system requirements.

I have a Samsung A6 with Android 10 on it.  It's almost 5 years old, so I'm assuming it just doesn't have the minimum requirements.  What will I miss out on by not having the app on my phone?

You can install v4.30.0 using the link below; it is compatible w/Android 10. If it gets wonky, just close it out and reopen.

As for your original question, others here have done a great job answering and providing other workarounds. It's also good for submitting service requests and feedback, both of which can also be done at Guest Service.

https://www.9apps.com/android-apps/Holland-America-Line-Navigator/version-history-1/

20240105_225511.thumb.jpg.977a2f868f536fdedc326674280ad0d4.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, richwmn said:

You can also go to navigator.hollandamerica.com using a browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) when connected to the ship's WiFi and get the same information as the app gives you. I have always done this on my laptop, and I just verified that it works on my tablet which won't load the app.

@richwmn Thanks, glad that is still available. That's what I used to use before all this app stuff.

17 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You can install v4.30.0, it is compatible w/Android 10. If it gets wonky, just close it out and reopen.

https://www.9apps.com/android-apps/Holland-America-Line-Navigator/version-history-1/

@Haljo1935 Good info to know. Thanks.  I'll probably just use the web version, but nice to have this as an option.

11 minutes ago, Gunther1 said:

Personally, I mainly use it just to communicate with my husband and/or friends on the ship.

How DID we survive before IM 😉?

@Gunther1 I was just thinking the same thing regarding cell phones yesterday!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

others here have done a great job answering and providing other workarounds. It's also good for submitting service requests and feedback, both of which can also be done at Guest Service.

If you have a tablet or laptop, feedback and requests can also be done on those via navigator.hollandamerica.com as @richwmn suggested in post #5.

If you don't have a laptop, tablet, or other connecting device with you on the cruise, the ship provides an Internet Center with a few full computers for passenger use. There is no charge to use the computers, nor to use the Navigator function. There is a charge (the same as those using other devices) to access the Internet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

How do excursions work if you don't use the app?  Can you go to the Excursion desk and ask them to provide you with a hard copy of your excursion ticket?

Did you read the reply in post #3? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cbr663 said:

How do excursions work if you don't use the app?  Can you go to the Excursion desk and ask them to provide you with a hard copy of your excursion ticket?

Your room card acts as your ticket.

21 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

If you have a tablet or laptop, feedback and requests can also be done on those via navigator.hollandamerica.com as @richwmn suggested in post #5.

20 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

You can probably upgrade your phone for free or less than the price of a pinnacle dinner. 

18 hours ago, RuthC said:

If you don't have a laptop, tablet, or other connecting device with you on the cruise, the ship provides an Internet Center with a few full computers for passenger use. 

18 hours ago, kazu said:

I have a smartphone but I far prefer my Ipad and use it to access the Navigator.  Works well (just in case it may be of help).

@Cruise Suzy @The-Inside-Cabin @RuthC @kazu

Thank you all for the information and suggestions.  I was able to load the app on one tablet, so that should work, although I will probably use the web page as well.  No plans to upgrade my phone at the moment. It works fine for everything I need except this one app, and there are plenty of work arounds for this one item.  I don't have a plan that includes upgrading, so it will probably cost me more than a pinnacle dinner 🙂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, newbie53 said:

I was able to load the app on one tablet, so that should work, although I will probably use the web page as well.  No plans to upgrade my phone at the moment. It works fine for everything I need except this one app, and there are plenty of work arounds for this one item.  I don't have a plan that includes upgrading, so it will probably cost me more than a pinnacle dinner 🙂

You will be fine with it on your tablet.  The app is better than the web page IMO but in any case, you are all set up 👍 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, kazu said:

You will be fine with it on your tablet.  The app is better than the web page IMO but in any case, you are all set up 👍 

@newbie53 agree w/Jacqui that you will be fine. And if you do decide you want the Navigator App, you can download it using this link:

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

Did you know that you could use the app to open your cabin door ?? I did have one unique use for the app on my last cruise - I went to my cabin to get something and left my keycard with my husband, I used the electronic key card on the app to unlock my cabin door! Nice save by the Navigator! 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Did you know that you could use the app to open your cabin door ?? I did have one unique use for the app on my last cruise - I went to my cabin to get something and left my keycard with my husband, I used the electronic key card on the app to unlock my cabin door! Nice save by the Navigator! 

This is new to me!  Like at hotels, this is a great feature for those people who left their room card inside the cabin....like my friend did!!  😉

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 9:33 PM, cbr663 said:

We had one excursion in St. Thomas that needed to scan the app bar code away from the ship. They had a manifest with our names in case someone's phone did not work. I would not worry if you don't have the app.

• Like 1