Balcony on Spirit

Since you are sailing from Seattle you will sail west of. Vancouver Island so scenery/land will be starboard.  But coming back will be the opposite.  However, mush of that will be in darkness.  Once you reach the northern part of the inside passage there will be scenery both sides.  If the naturalist or captain spot wildlife, inevitably it will be on the other side of the ship.  You will want to be out and about.  EM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Since aft isn't available, then I suggest you get a non-extended balcony on whichever side offers the best scenery (as stated above).  The extended balconies are recessed and do block your clear view fore and aft.  Deck 3 is an outside deck that wraps all the way around the aft and on both sides. It does not go all the way around forward though.  It is covered and it is nice to have quick access to this deck (deck 4 cabins) for scenery in rainy weather. Deck 9 (lido) has good aft viewing from the serenity area and the buffet by the windows offers climate-controlled viewing.  Deck 10 has good viewing outside, also.  It does seem true that the wildlife will always be on the other side from where you are.  So, having the ability to cross to the other side quickly is nice.  Of course, everyone else will be doing the same thing.  Depending on your mobility, I would get a balcony close to these decks (deck 8) and near the stairs or elevators.  I would pick a balcony towards the aft as you can access good viewing on the outer decks from there.  Forward is just too windy.  Hope this helps.      

Edited by RoperDK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Since aft isn't available, then I suggest you get a non-extended balcony on whichever side offers the best scenery (as stated above).  The extended balconies are recessed and do block your clear view fore and aft.  Deck 3 is an outside deck that wraps all the way around the aft and on both sides. It does not go all the way around forward though.  It is covered and it is nice to have quick access to this deck (deck 4 cabins) for scenery in rainy weather. Deck 9 (lido) has good aft viewing from the serenity area and the buffet by the windows offers climate-controlled viewing.  Deck 10 has good viewing outside, also.  It does seem true that the wildlife will always be on the other side from where you are.  So, having the ability to cross to the other side quickly is nice.  Of course, everyone else will be doing the same thing.  Depending on your mobility, I would get a balcony close to these decks (deck 😎 and near the stairs or elevators.  I would pick a balcony towards the aft as you can access good viewing on the outer decks from there.  Forward is just too windy.  Hope this helps.      

So, you think deck 8 aft is a good location? How loud is that area being under the Lido Deck?

4 hours ago, RoperDK said:

Since aft isn't available, then I suggest you get a non-extended balcony on whichever side offers the best scenery (as stated above).  The extended balconies are recessed and do block your clear view fore and aft.  Deck 3 is an outside deck that wraps all the way around the aft and on both sides. It does not go all the way around forward though.  It is covered and it is nice to have quick access to this deck (deck 4 cabins) for scenery in rainy weather. Deck 9 (lido) has good aft viewing from the serenity area and the buffet by the windows offers climate-controlled viewing.  Deck 10 has good viewing outside, also.  It does seem true that the wildlife will always be on the other side from where you are.  So, having the ability to cross to the other side quickly is nice.  Of course, everyone else will be doing the same thing.  Depending on your mobility, I would get a balcony close to these decks (deck 😎 and near the stairs or elevators.  I would pick a balcony towards the aft as you can access good viewing on the outer decks from there.  Forward is just too windy.  Hope this helps.      

The "bowling alley" balconies are only slightly blocked by a few tiny degrees of forward or aft. So  if you can grab 6232/6234 or 7258/7260 or 8232/8234 you would be in for a real treat with a giant balcony. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

The "bowling alley" balconies are only slightly blocked by a few tiny degrees of forward or aft. So  if you can grab 6232/6234 or 7258/7260 or 8232/8234 you would be in for a real treat with a giant balcony. 

I totally agree.  Best balconies by far!

11 hours ago, bowen9475 said:

So, you think deck 8 aft is a good location? How loud is that area being under the Lido Deck?

If you don't have any mobility issues then I would pick a deck 7 balcony over deck 8.  You will get some deck chair scraping noises under the serenity deck and the dreaded rolling cart sounds from under lido. We've dealt with those noises before because we like the bowling alley balconies or the premium balconies and if deck 8 has the only ones available then so be it.  I don't know what is available for your cruise, so I can't be specific.  You do want to be able to easily access the outer decks for viewing and waiting for an elevator can be the difference between seeing something or missing it.  If the Vista Suites on deck 4 are available and within your budget, then I would jump on them.  They are our favorite cabins on Spirit class.  Most people would say that higher decks are better, but our personal choice would be deck 4.  Pop down one deck and you have open viewing from the aft and most of the sides.       

Thanks for all the opinions. Really appreciate it. We are cruising at the end of June. Late to booking so limited in availability. Will be re-reading all the posts and booking very soon. 

• Like 1

Book decks 5, 6, or 7 as they are sandwiched between rooms above and below.

I don't like the extended balconies as I like to look down at the water from my balcony, and the lifeboats are directly below -- and the extended balconies cost more.

I generally book any of the rooms below that do not have lifeboats under the balconies.

May be an image of map, blueprint, floor plan and text

Edited by VentureMan_2000