Ember

Redtravel

52 minutes ago, clo said:

Did they only have slices not whole pizzas? That would account for the 'no sides.' Unhealthy? I can eat anything occasionally and it not count as unhealthy (unless I have some specific health issues).  And see that photo above? I made that. The dough is 8oz, about a tablespoon of olive oil and tomato sauce, 4oz of pork, mozzarella and the rest are sliced vegetables. That's for the whole pizza.

Whole pizzas. I have no issues to have unhealthy meals sometimes, and we did have a meal at the Pizza place one evening on formal night when we didn't want to dress up. I just don't consider it to be a full dining venue on an ultra luxury line.

8 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Whole pizzas. I have no issues to have unhealthy meals sometimes, and we did have a meal at the Pizza place one evening on formal night when we didn't want to dress up. I just don't consider it to be a full dining venue on an ultra luxury line.

I agree!

The pizzas are lovely but for me it’s a lunchtime thing. I wouldn’t eat pizza at home for ‘dinner’ so I’m certainly not eating it on a ship, any ship.

I still remember the very plan boorish cheese pizza on Vista that they were advertising as a Margherita pizza . When I told the waiter “ that’s not what we ordered!”; she replied “ we know that’s not really a Margherita pizza, but only the chef’s version of one”. The pizza was 🤮 and we put pizza in the same category as ordering lobster on board. Why bother, other good stuff to choice from, the risk of disappointment is too high to bother with.

14 hours ago, Vallesan said:

I agree!

The pizzas are lovely but for me it’s a lunchtime thing. I wouldn’t eat pizza at home for ‘dinner’ so I’m certainly not eating it on a ship, any ship.

No offense here whatsoever. But I'm betting folks who feel that way don't live on the West or East coast of the US (I don't know where else in the world to include). Oh, and a few cities in between. Pizza has become a very big deal with great toppings, crusts, you name it. Red and white sauce lightly applied.  I make it about once a week for dinner and since it's just the two of us we have the leftover half for breakfast 🙂 And no offense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I have to say I've never seen food described as "boorish"...😁

I think they meant Boors Head - not a cold cut meat that I particularly care for...but certainly not boorish 🙂

7 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I still remember the very plan boorish cheese pizza on Vista that they were advertising as a Margherita pizza . When I told the waiter “ that’s not what we ordered!”; she replied “ we know that’s not really a Margherita pizza, but only the chef’s version of one”. The pizza was 🤮 and we put pizza in the same category as ordering lobster on board. Why bother, other good stuff to choice from, the risk of disappointment is too high to bother with.

Ingredients:
Pizza Margherita is a typical Neapolitan pizza, made with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, salt, and olive oil. Wikipedia

And they better be top notch ingredients, every one of them.

37 minutes ago, clo said:

Ingredients:
Pizza Margherita is a typical Neapolitan pizza, made with tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, salt, and olive oil. Wikipedia

And they better be top notch ingredients, every one of them.

Not what we were served. No tomatoes, doubtful mozzarella, and not a sprig of basil to be found ( fresh or dried). It was a poor excuse of a cheese pizza being offered as a Margherita. Oceania serves plenty of good food , so

we’ll steer clear of the pizza and be fine. 

Food can well be boring and/or boorish. 

Edited by pinotlover

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Not what we were served. No tomatoes, doubtful mozzarella, and not a sprig of basil to be found ( fresh or dried). It was a poor excuse of a cheese pizza being offered as a Margherita. Oceania serves plenty of good food , so

we’ll steer clear of the pizza and be fine. 

No tomatoes???????????? Wow!

19 hours ago, clo said:

No offense here whatsoever. But I'm betting folks who feel that way don't live on the West or East coast of the US (I don't know where else in the world to include). Oh, and a few cities in between. Pizza has become a very big deal with great toppings, crusts, you name it. Red and white sauce lightly applied.  I make it about once a week for dinner and since it's just the two of us we have the leftover half for breakfast 🙂 And no offense.

Oh....yea.... We have a local Pizza place with the best boutique pizza's I've ever had.  They are expensive and on the small size BUT....    Our first pizza was a 4 Cheese and Heirloom Tomato Pizza - 
no tomato sauce that are common to pizza.   We almost had a knife fight over the last piece.  

They have such attention detail.    Crust that doesn't even sag when you pick up and they brush Olive Oil on the crust right out of oven that gives it  a nice flavor and shine.   I'm salivating - 

16 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

You must be new to O. We wander 😉

LOL..   I've never known a thread on CC that doesn't at least occasionally go off topic.    That is what I like about CC.

It isn't like someone that isn't interest can't skip over the posts that don't interest them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL..   I've never known a thread on CC that doesn't at least occasionally go off topic.    That is what I like about CC.

It isn't like someone that isn't interest can't skip over the posts that don't interest them.  

Wait a cotton-picking minute.  You're saying you don't have to read every single post?  Is that in the TOS?  Why hasn't this been said before?

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Wait a cotton-picking minute.  You're saying you don't have to read every single post?  Is that in the TOS?  Why hasn't this been said before?

It's not in the TOS, but is not scorn heaped any who comment after missing a relevant one?  🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

It's not in the TOS, but is not scorn heaped any who comment after missing a relevant one?  🫣

I think I read that somewhere, but did you know that if you don't want a full entree of scorn you can ask for an appetizer sized serving?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

I think I read that somewhere, but did you know that if you don't want a full entree of scorn you can ask for an appetizer sized serving?

We often avoid the full scorn and only order half portions in the Specialties. This is especially the case in Toscana. A half portion of both the Primi and Secondi is plenty for us. If any room for more exists, there’s always dessert!  We’re just not into ordering whole portions and sending most of it to garbage. That deserves some scorn when smaller options exist.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before you comment on Vista’s pizza at Waves, try it. It’s that good.  On previous Oceania cruises, we usually had dinner at GDR or a specialty restaurant. We skipped dining at the Terrace Buffet for dinner. That was until a guest told us that dinner at Terrace was great. It has more options than GDR.  Now that Waves is open at night, there are even more choices.  We ordered pizza at Waves to be delivered inside Terrace Buffet. While we were waiting, we had some delicious sushi. At home, we often get pizza for dinner.  Would like to see Waves pizza on lunch menu.  Terrace has pizza, not nearly as good as Waves pizza. 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, pinotlover said:

We often avoid the full scorn and only order half portions in the Specialties. This is especially the case in Toscana. A half portion of both the Primi and Secondi is plenty for us. If any room for more exists, there’s always dessert!  We’re just not into ordering whole portions and sending most of it to garbage. That deserves some scorn when smaller options exist.

Exactly the same. That's how we operate at home also. And at least if we still have leftovers we can take them home for another meal. Honestly that's part of the reason we like DIY travel. Cooking in our airbnb-esque.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 8:05 PM, Redtravel said:

Before you comment on Vista’s pizza at Waves, try it. It’s that good.  On previous Oceania cruises, we usually had dinner at GDR or a specialty restaurant. We skipped dining at the Terrace Buffet for dinner. That was until a guest told us that dinner at Terrace was great. It has more options than GDR.  Now that Waves is open at night, there are even more choices.  We ordered pizza at Waves to be delivered inside Terrace Buffet. While we were waiting, we had some delicious sushi. At home, we often get pizza for dinner.  Would like to see Waves pizza on lunch menu.  Terrace has pizza, not nearly as good as Waves pizza. 

So true. The lunch pizza in Terrace is mediocre. Waves pizza was very good. 

I liked the food in Ember but found it too be so loud that our party could not talk across a table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, basenji56 said:

So true. The lunch pizza in Terrace is mediocre. Waves pizza was very good. 

I liked the food in Ember but found it too be so loud that our party could not talk across a table.

Rumor has it that Nautica is getting that pizza oven right before we board in early July.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

RUMINT is usually off by at least a month, no?   😜

::crosses fingers for ya::

It will supposedly be in that port for a couple of weks IIRC. Whatever works works.