Ember

Redtravel

Ate at Ember last night.  It was excellent.  Loved the decor, food, and prompt service.  We had lobster roll, potato soup, ribeye steak, and key lime cheesecake. Everything was delicious.  Steak was prepared perfectly. It was outstanding.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good to read a positive mention of Ember. 

I've read a fair number of negative mentions - most often saying its like Applebee's. Now, as someone who isnt American and who doesnt know what Applebees is like, I'm looking forward to eating there. The food will be as "foreign" for me, as Toscana and Red Ginger and, looking at the menu, sort of even more foreign. 

• Like 3

Though that sounds like something from Polo Grill.

O can try to put lipstick on a porcine, but it remains as a lower tier effort when compared to Jacques. AND the pizza station at Waves seemed pretty empty most evenings on Riviera on our recent 20-night B2B (10/30-11/19). Another misfire. Who wants to eat such ordinary food on a cruise you're paying a small fortune to be on?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Ate at Embers last night.  It was excellent.  Loved the decor, food, and prompt service.  We had lobster roll, potato soup, ribeye steak, and key lime cheesecake. Everything was delicious.  Steak was prepared perfectly. It was outstanding.  

We were in Ember also last night. 
The only issue was the lobster meat in the lobster Mac and cheese was not good, wasn't prepared as well as it was the first night in the lobster pad Thai in Red Ginger. 
The scallops on Ember were excellent. 
We were sitting at a two top by the window so it was wasn't as noisy as the main part of the room. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though that sounds like something from Polo Grill.

O can try to put lipstick on a porcine, but it remains as a lower tier effort when compared to Jacques. AND the pizza station at Waves seemed pretty empty most evenings on Riviera on our recent 20-night B2B (10/30-11/19). Another misfire. Who wants to eat such ordinary food on a cruise you're paying a small fortune to be on?

Perhaps its options. . Most people like options, whether that option is below you or not. Nobody forced you to try it. Perhaps also it looked empty as maybe people ordered their meal from there and at it in the Terrace Cafe?. Probably not as empty as before in the evening since not open in evening before as I recall. 

• Like 3

I was on Vista on the New Years cruise and almost cancelled Embers due to negative comments. I’m glad I didn’t as food and service was very good, I also liked the understated decor very much. We were seated in a side section and that seemed to be less loud than sitting in the center.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Perhaps its options. . Most people like options, whether that option is below you or not. Nobody forced you to try it. Perhaps also it looked empty as maybe people ordered their meal from there and at it in the Terrace Cafe?. Probably not as empty as before in the evening since not open in evening before as I recall. 

Do the dining math. On Vista they REMOVED Jacques and replaced it with Embers. Net of 0 (1-1=0). As for the pizza, they also served it daily in the TC for lunch. So not really a net new addition.

I've cruised on Riviera (30 nights) and Sirena (10 nights). So, I vote with my pocketbook. No Embers for me on Vista.

And on Riviera, I spoke with the Pizza guy in Waves. As I'd walk thru and see the empty table and he was standing around doing nothing. I'd often say, "Another slow night?" Or "Hope you get some customers soon." Plus, the location forced the smoothie/ice cream guy out and into the inclement weather. He was forced to bundle up in the AM many mornings. And suffered during the rain. Felt sorry for him as we'd talk in the AMs. He knew my order when he'd see me walk up (Sun Salutation smoothie and the particular vanilla/almond yogurt he'd make for me).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

"But...  But...  But Jacques is HAUTE FRENCH FOOD and Ember is not!!!!!"

Call me gauche.  ::tiptoes to Ember by preference::

I do love Jacques. I have eaten there many times.  Yes, I miss it on Vista.  However, Embers is very nice.  In the GDR, there are nightly selections from Jacques. We experienced the same thing on Sirena.  I like variation. If all ships did exactly the same thing, it can get boring.  My next cruise is on Marina.  Looking forward to Jacques. Just maybe, I will miss the ribeye from Embers. That ribeye was amazing.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I like variation

Me too. My rule of thumb about the quality of any travel restaurant, ship or land, is would it become a regular place for me if it opened near home. Toscana is the only O restaurant that would make that list for me. It's as good and would  go on the list as an alternative. I go to better East Asian places than Red Ginger. I go to a better steakhouse than Polo. And I've been to better French restaurants than Jacques.

What I don't have at home is a place cooking American dishes. I'm quite excited at the prospect of eating at Ember. 

• Like 1

I look forward to eat at Embers.  Will I miss Jacques, you bet.  However, even though I would prefer Jacques, that ship (Vista) has sailed.  Nothing I can say or do will change that.  Just like the below average experience I had in the Polo Grill on my first Oceania Cruise. 

The question is, "Will I choose not to sail Oceania on the Vista for all the new and wonderful changes this new ship has. Or will I ship the ship because of one specialty Restaurant?"

Nothing is ever perfect on a cruise.  This is in any stateroom, on any brand, on any itinerary, and on any ship. Just what cruising is all about.  Thanks to the author of this thread for the positive feedback.  Thanks to the other contributors for your thoughts.  It gives multiple perspectives so we can all make the decision that is right for us.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6

When guests come from various countries, it’s a nice experience to enjoy a variety of restaurants.  What pleases one guest may not please another guest.  I try not to compare the restaurants with those I go to at home.  As long as I am not cooking, they are all fabulous. Enjoy!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

I do love Jacques. I have eaten there many times.  Yes, I miss it on Vista.  However, Embers is very nice.  In the GDR, there are nightly selections from Jacques. We experienced the same thing on Sirena.  I like variation. If all ships did exactly the same thing, it can get boring.  My next cruise is on Marina.  Looking forward to Jacques. Just maybe, I will miss the ribeye from Embers. That ribeye was amazing.

We also enjoyed Ember.  Two had the pork chops and one the ribeye. All thoroughly enjoyed it   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, basor said:

Our experience was on Vista....

Yes, though after my recent 20-night B2B on Riviera, I can only imagine. The passengers stumbling, some crawling, many delirious and distraught, going around saying,

"Where is Jacques? I can't find it. It has to be here. Tell me it is still here. Somewhere. That I'm just not finding it."

😉 

Ember is nice, not finest cuisine at sea and certainly not a culinary gem. I prefer French cuisine others like another casual dining option. Waves, Pizza, Terrace Cafe and now also Ember. 

Edited by maxamize

23 minutes ago, maxamize said:

... another casual dining option. Waves, Pizza, Terrace Cafe and now also Ember. 

Though what is the DRESS CODE in Embers? I love the truly casual dining in the TC. Shorts, t-shirt, baseball cap.

6 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though what is the DRESS CODE in Embers? I love the truly casual dining in the TC. Shorts, t-shirt, baseball cap.

We wore the same clothes we would wear to eat in the GDR and the specialty restaurant.  O does not label Embers as the same as TC.  That label has been assigned by people who are not happy that it replaced Jaques.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, basor said:

We wore the same clothes we would wear to eat in the GDR and the specialty restaurant.  O does not label Embers as the same as TC.  That label has been assigned by people who are not happy that it replaced Jaques.  

Good to know, as I thought, Polo Grill (Deck 14) and Polo Grill 2 (aka Embers, Deck 6). Too bad they won't let you dress like TC. That would be nice.

We had a great time in Ember on the Vista in December. it's the only specialty restaurant we enjoy and the only one we'll book when we are on Allura next year. We are on Marina later this year which doesn't have Ember but will have Aquamar Kitchen, which debuted on Vista and was also a highlight for us.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MarkWiltonM said:

We had a great time in Ember on the Vista in December. it's the only specialty restaurant we enjoy and the only one we'll book when we are on Allura next year. We are on Marina later this year which doesn't have Ember but will have Aquamar Kitchen, which debuted on Vista and was also a highlight for us.

What didn't you like about the others?

Ember seems to be hit and miss.  I had the potato soup, it was OK, certainly not the best I’ve tasted.  On recommendation from a fellow Trivia team mate, we had the fish and chips, which was awful.  Nice crisp batter, but the fish was complete mush, and french fries, not ‘proper’ chips.

We went to the Pizzeria on Christmas Eve, and were the only people there, the Burrata and Pizza were good, we just didn’t want anything fancy that night.  

17 minutes ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

Ember seems to be hit and miss.  I had the potato soup, it was OK, certainly not the best I’ve tasted.  On recommendation from a fellow Trivia team mate, we had the fish and chips, which was awful.  Nice crisp batter, but the fish was complete mush, and french fries, not ‘proper’ chips.

We went to the Pizzeria on Christmas Eve, and were the only people there, the Burrata and Pizza were good, we just didn’t want anything fancy that night.  

Interesting on our visit the only item we thought was great WAS the fish & chips.......