Solarium closed for sail-away

1 minute ago, alfaeric said:

It’s one place. One per ship. 

It's just frustrating when you finally make it that level and then there is no diamond lounge or different things. We can't afford to sail multiple times a year or even once a year for that matter. So we cruise when we can since 2006 and finally made diamond. No big deal to pinnacles lol but I bet it was when they were working their way up there. Or will be when they make a new top tier🤷

1 hour ago, toxicfairy said:

It's just frustrating when you finally make it that level and then there is no diamond lounge or different things. We can't afford to sail multiple times a year or even once a year for that matter. So we cruise when we can since 2006 and finally made diamond. No big deal to pinnacles lol but I bet it was when they were working their way up there. Or will be when they make a new top tier🤷

There is lounge. No access for several hours, Honestly after RCI switched from unlimited drinks in this lounge to vouchers you can use in any bar … lounge isn’t that important for many. Many Diamonds and upper just skip it anyway. We may grab several snacks, but we rarely are in lounge itself. You aren’t missing much. It’s open for limited breakfast, coffee etc for all. And on most sailings ads are allowed at HH too.

• Like 2

I enjoy the solarium during the first day going to sea. I could understand the disappointment of the OP with being denied access for any reason. Maybe it would not have been so irritating if they knew ahead of time that it was going to be closed.

Certainly, anyone with C&A status would agree that RCI is starting to put the brakes on some of the perks due to ever increasing numbers of high point members.

I enjoy what perks I can get but I never cruised RCI for C&A status. Like so many things in life, the journeys made while getting the C&A points are more important than the issuance of another tier level.

If I talk to cruisers on board, I make it a point to never discuss my C&A status or total days at sea. In most cases, the subject does not even come up. In general, most people would not care, they are busy enjoying their cruise.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tatka said:

There is lounge. No access for several hours, Honestly after RCI switched from unlimited drinks in this lounge to vouchers you can use in any bar … lounge isn’t that important for many. Many Diamonds and upper just skip it anyway. We may grab several snacks, but we rarely are in lounge itself. You aren’t missing much. It’s open for limited breakfast, coffee etc for all. And on most sailings ads are allowed at HH too.

While you can use the vouchers at any bar, I find that the bars are crowded, noisy, have very loud music, or they're playing trivia (how dare you talk during trivia!).  At least in the Crown Lounge, you don't have loud music or trivia.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

While you can use the vouchers at any bar, I find that the bars are crowded, noisy, have very loud music, or they're playing trivia (how dare you talk during trivia!).  At least in the Crown Lounge, you don't have loud music or trivia.

I tend to do 1/2 of my cruises in an interior and 1/2 in balconies. If  I am in a balcony, I tend to enjoy the free drinks there with my wife.

With the interiors, the Schooner bar on most ships is a peaceful place with softer music we find enjoyable. Even when it sponsored free drinks (before vouchers), I found the Diamond Lounge a bit boisterous as the atmosphere seemed to be "how many free drinks" can one down in the allotted time. I started hearing the same stories time and time again. They were great memories but some stories wear thin after the fifth telling. I wish people enjoyed listening as much as they enjoyed speaking. The mixing and the mingling of new people sometimes seemed like oil and water.

Using the vouchers at anytime at any bar allows one to choose their "happy place."

Is this event only on TA crossings ?  Can't say I noticed it on other sailings or I just missed it ?

We are on Symphony in March so will have to pay attention. We would be eligible based on what others are saying.  Just curious.

35 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

The solarium is closed to under 18.  They are paying guests too.

That doesn't make it ok to close it off to everyone. This seems to be a legitimate gripe not being able to access a prominent feature on a ship. 

If the reverse was done to invite newer cruisers to a gathering and shut out upper tier from the solarium at sail away, there would be quite a few threads. 

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

The solarium is closed to under 18.  They are paying guests too.

Haha! Interesting logic. There is no prior expectation that under-18 guests have access to the solarium. 

35 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Haha! Interesting logic. There is no prior expectation that under-18 guests have access to the solarium. 

There was for 16 and 17 year olds when they changed the rules from 16+ to 18+ with very little notice.

3 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

That doesn't make it ok to close it off to everyone. This seems to be a legitimate gripe not being able to access a prominent feature on a ship. 

If the reverse was done to invite newer cruisers to a gathering and shut out upper tier from the solarium at sail away, there would be quite a few threads. 

We honestly have been on 3 TA’s in the last year and the Anthem was the very first time that we experienced a special “sail away”.  I have never went to the Solarium prior to that for a “sail away”.  Many other cruises last year without a sail away, so it was a treat.

We were on the same Trans-Atlantic, and we did the same thing. Disappointing for sure, as that's our favourite place to be. The same thing happened on Quantum earlier 2023 for a Queensland cruise, and we go back on Quantum next week to Vanuatu (cyclones permitting), and I'm sure the same thing will happen again, unfortunately.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:39 AM, taglovestocruise said:

Last few sailings on Ovation and Quantum the Solarium was a private party area for D and above. Lots of appetizers and free flowing drinks. It was very crowded and hard to find seating. 

There are no longer free flowing drinks. Vouchers must be used.

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

There was "free" flowing champagne in the Solarium happy hour.  I don't recall if there were other "free" options.

I am waiting for France to serve a "cease and desist" order for using the word "Champagne" being associated with the carbonated wine they offer at these events. It is far from "Champagne".

"Let them eat cake."

🤢

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

There was "free" flowing champagne in the Solarium happy hour.  I don't recall if there were other "free" options.

@Another_Critic...you type faster than I do...our experience was the same...free flowing champagne, mimosa, and some kind of rum punch. :classic_smile:

2 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That's what they usually serve at the Top Tier event.  Did they have a top tier as well?

Yes...there was a Top Tier.

The solarium event was for sail-away.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I haven’t heard of this since the vouchers were introduced. Maybe it’s something exclusive to the Anthem?

9 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

I haven’t heard of this since the vouchers were introduced. Maybe it’s something exclusive to the Anthem?

The person you originally quoted mentioned Ovation and Quantum.  May be just Quantum class, but definitely not just Anthem.

• Like 1