Is this now acceptable conduct?

missson1967

We are experienced & regular Cunard cruisers.  We disembarked QM2 yesterday after the crossing.

One afternoon this week, we were shocked & appalled to see a lady with her bare feet up on one of the coffee tables in a packed Chart Room.  In our view, this was not fair to the staff or fellow guests.  We have, thankfully, never seen this before, and hopefully never will again.  

We doubt we are alone in finding this conduct unacceptable, but perhaps not, so would welcome the views of others ...    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, missson1967 said:

We are experienced & regular Cunard cruisers.  We disembarked QM2 yesterday after the crossing.

One afternoon this week, we were shocked & appalled to see a lady with her bare feet up on one of the coffee tables in a packed Chart Room.  In our view, this was not fair to the staff or fellow guests.  We have, thankfully, never seen this before, and hopefully never will again.  

We doubt we are alone in finding this conduct unacceptable, but perhaps not, so would welcome the views of others ...    

Totally Unacceptable!

Inappropriate in Public View and Location.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, missson1967 said:

In short, no. In long, definitely not acceptable.

Other than that, did you have a nice time?

• Like 1

I don't think it's acceptable to place feet on any furniture not designed and intended for that purpose, including seats on trains and buses.

Unfortunately lots of folk seem to think it is.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Morgans said:

Did anyone say anything to her ?

Not as far as we are aware, however, I now regret not saying something, as I feel that by staying silent we were, in effect, condoning it.  At the time, I just didn't want to cause a scene.  Having said that, I didn't expect to ever have to ask somebody to remove their bare feet from a table in a cocktail bar.  Thankfully, based on the replies so far, it seems we are not alone in our disapproval of such conduct.     

• Like 3

Disgusting behavior - never seen anything remotely like that on Board QM2. Wrong ship for the good woman. Not that it is acceptable in any way - anywhere. Out of the Chart room- up to scrubbing down the deck with a handbrush.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/13/2024 at 6:55 AM, missson1967 said:

What did you do about it  did you approach a crew member?  by no means am I accusing you but I do think it is easier for some folks to be reactive instead of proactive.

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

What did you do about it  did you approach a crew member?  by no means am I accusing you but I do think it is easier for some folks to be reactive instead of proactive.

We didn't do anything about it and didn't approach a crew member.  As per earlier post #9, we now regret saying nothing, but didn't want to cause a scene at the time.  We also weren't sure whether this is now common practice hence the staff just have to accept it.  Thankfully, it appears from these replies that many others also find such conduct unacceptable.   

5 hours ago, Queenvee said:

If you didn't want to say anything yourself, you could have asked the waiter or manager to talk to her. I've done that in the past.

At the time, we only considered addressing it directly, but yes, requesting a member of staff to deal with it is also an option. 

Reminds me of the time a gentleman (perhaps the wrong term) in first class on a flight was using the edge of the door to his suite to remove dead skin from his bare feet. Toenails were long and yellowed too. I needed a double G&T after that. 

Frankly, I’m not sure that the crew would do anything even if you reported it. Just off the QE, where one evening a person was permitted to walk through a restaurant and dine barefoot. Their attire suggested this was a casual dining choice on their part as opposed to a medical reason. I never imagined I’d ever see that on any vessel, let alone a Cunard ship! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Austcruiser84 said:

Just off the QE, where one evening a person was permitted to walk through a restaurant and dine barefoot.

I was always of the opinion that walking indoors on a ship barefooted was not allowed and especially in food venues.

1 minute ago, david63 said:

I was always of the opinion that walking indoors on a ship barefooted was not allowed and especially in food venues.

I was already disapproving of seeing numerous individuals wearing flip flops of an evening, but the barefoot individual was a step too far. I think I was too shocked to have been capable of raising a complaint. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

A while back there was a posting which said: the dumbing down of the dress code was a slippery slope.  

Maybe someone walking barefoot will slip and fall down that slope.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Haha 2

Eeeooww,how disgusting,I would expect that from  other certain cruise lines but not Cunard , it is difficult to know what to do if you don't like confrontation 🫤

8 hours ago, Austcruiser84 said:

Reminds me of the time a gentleman (perhaps the wrong term) in first class on a flight was using the edge of the door to his suite to remove dead skin from his bare feet. Toenails were long and yellowed too. I needed a double G&T after that. 

Frankly, I’m not sure that the crew would do anything even if you reported it. Just off the QE, where one evening a person was permitted to walk through a restaurant and dine barefoot. Their attire suggested this was a casual dining choice on their part as opposed to a medical reason. I never imagined I’d ever see that on any vessel, let alone a Cunard ship! 

What did you do about it ?