Reserving polo grill last night of cruise

oskidunker

Would this be an easier day to reserve? Say 6:30 for 4?  Also considering a day when the ship does not leave until 8:30 pm. Is the Polo larger than Toscana? We able  to reserve soon. Lowest priority, other than french balcony. 

It depends on what you prefer, but generally Polo is a pretty heavy meal. I also like a couple of glasses of wine with a steak, so I prefer to not eat there the day before disembarkation. 

As far as I can tell Polo & Toscana are about the same size. 

• Thanks 1

Hi @oskidunker,

There is nothing worse than the answer...it depends...but, it depends.

Depending on what kind of a room you are in, there are anywhere from lots of to no others who will have had a chance to book before you.  Reservations for owner, vista and oceania suites will open before penthouse folk have a chance to book;  penthouse before concierge level and so on.

On the last night of the cruise, you have to have your packed bags in the hallway by 10 p.m., so if you pack before dinner, you may have to plan to wear, or pack in carry-on, your spiffy dinner duds.

If you eat at 6:30 p.m., you should have time to pack after dinner. 

I think the complexity of packing on the last evening will scare some people away from the specialty restaurants, but it really is just the luck of the draw.

If you do not get your pick for Polo Grill at 6:30 p.m. through the online booking, you can always go to the restaurant reservations desk, which on the smaller ships is in the lobby that has the Future Cruise Consultant and the boutiques.

Good luck,

Greg from the @WildWanderers

Polo and Toscana are identically sized.  They wrap port/starboard around their common kitchen.

When my window opens, I go to reservations for my favorite restaurant first and grab from what's still available, then reservations for my second favorite restaurant.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  YMMV  😉

4-tops are easier to come by than 2-top windows, but remember, you *are* guaranteed a visit to each restaurant (2 on 'R'-class, otherwise 4) even if they have to shoehorn you in at 8:30 on an 8-top

1 hour ago, oskidunker said:

Would this be an easier day to reserve?

It is usually an easier day to snag a 2nd(!) visit to your favorite restaurant.  Easiest on Day #1, second easiest on last night.  See the Dining Reservations Desk that day.   And, remember, even extra visits are freebies.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

I also like a couple of glasses of wine with a steak, so I prefer to not eat there the day before disembarkation. 

Sorry, I'm not making the connection here.

5 minutes ago, clo said:

Sorry, I'm not making the connection here.

Heavy meal, flying or in an airport most of the next day, a few glasses of wine, have to be up by 6 or earlier to get ready to be out of room by 8. What are you not understanding? I think they call it basic biology. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, ORV said:

Heavy meal, flying or in an airport most of the next day, a few glasses of wine, have to be up by 6 or earlier to get ready to out of room by 8. What are you not understanding? I think they call it basic biology. 

Okey dokey.

2 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Thanks.  Is the Maine lobster in the polo fresh?

Well, think about that for a little bit. 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Thanks.  Is the Maine lobster in the polo fresh?

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

Well, think about that for a little bit. 

Yeah, frozen/thawed but inquiring minds want know what is the shelf life on fresh lobster?

Got polo grill for 4 at 6:30 the last night. Got

Toscana first night same time.  Every other night was 8 pm only. Too late

Edited by oskidunker

1 minute ago, oskidunker said:

Got polo grill for 4 at 6:30 the last night. Got the Italian first night same time.  Every other night was 8 pm only. Too late

Interesting data point.   Glad you got your 6:30 4tops, but surprised it had to be 1st & last.

Short voyage (fewer slots)?  If so, don't be surprised if once on board, you find that the specialties will actually open at 6:00pm.

Anyways, bon appétit and bon voyage!

3 hours ago, oskidunker said:

10 day vista cruise. Feb 28

4top at 6:30 only on the 1st & last days even though your cruise is longer than a week.  That sounds atypical.   And nothing acceptable from Ember or Red Ginger?  Weird.

9 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

4top at 6:30 only on the 1st & last days even though your cruise is longer than a week.  That sounds atypical.   And nothing acceptable from Ember or Red Ginger?  Weird.

I am not a fan of red ginger and all the bad reviews of Embers drove me away.  I like the dining room fine.  Not a fan of Japanese food. 

we booked lowest balcony class so that probably has something to do with it. 

Edited by oskidunker

Just now, Redtravel said:

Once you are onboard, there are more time slots open. 

Normally, yep.  To the point where maître d's are often roaming the ship on Day #1 for 2top customers at 6:30.  If @oskidunker is seeing a new trend on Vista, glad I've got 4x sea-day 6:30 2tops in March.

I am not a fan of red ginger and all the bad reviews of Embers drove me away.  I like the dining room fine.  Not a fan of Japanese food. 

Which one is Japanese food?

all the bad reviews of Embers drove me away

My take: It isn't that Ember is bad (the reviews of the ribeye are all "outstanding") it's that the [censored] are indignant that their haute French food is gone.

• Like 2