Transportation from Civitacecchia to Rome

If you do a search you will probably find hundreds of posts, here, on your subject.  But as a quick answer you have trains and private transfers.  Take your choice.  They each have pros and cons.

Hank

Rome in Limo. 

Come off the ship, pick up luggage. Find your driver waiting, with your name on a card. Hand him the luggage, get in car, and relax until you are at your destination. 

• Like 4

If you have a hotel booked, ask there if they might provide transportation for you.  We did and found it both convenient and comparable $$ to most sites.  Research of the train didn’t appeal to us considering luggage and possible transfer to Rome’s public transportation system which we were not familiar with.

Time in Rome post cruise was wonderful!!

(tip: purchase “skip the line” tickets for the Collusium, Vatican, etc asap. )

I found 4 others on CruiseCritic and shared a car into Rome. It made 3 stops, two couples and me, but I don’t remember how we ended up sharing the fare. You just have to check that you will get a vehicle that has room for 5 large suitcases.

There are lots of posts about this on the Italy Ports of Call forum here on CC. Every question has probably been answered there.

One option to consider that falls between the train (cheap but a hassle) and a private car (easy but $$$) is a shared shuttle van. They usually carry 6-8 people with several drop -offs at different hotels in Rome but the cost is quite a bit cheaper (e.g., 80 euros per couple) vs up to 160 euros per couple for a private car. They pick you up right outside the ship’s terminal once you have your luggage, just the same as a private car.

• Like 1

Last year, we spent a few days pre cruise choosing to stay in Civitavecchia rather than Rome, and loved it…. Civitavecchia is a lovely small town with a beautiful walk on water front, lovely restaurants, shops, etc…. And within an easy, rapid train ride to Rome….. we spent a couple of days travelling to Rome to see the sights but were happy to get back to Civitavecchia at night for the comfortable small town feel, lovely restaurants and very friendly B&B.  We would do the same again, it is worth considering.

Edited by FrankieSue
  • Like 7

44 minutes ago, FrankieSue said:

Last year, we spent a few days pre cruise choosing to stay in Civitavecchia rather than Rome, and loved it…. Civitavecchia is a lovely small town with a beautiful walk on water front, lovely restaurants, shops, etc…. And within an easy, rapid train ride to Rome….. we spent a couple of days travelling to Rome to see the sights but were happy to get back to Civitavecchia at night for the comfortable small town feel, lovely restaurants and very friendly B&B.  We would do the same again, it is worth considering.

And they have a great open-air market in the centre of town, too!

@JHLcruiser, welcome to Cruise Critic!  In addition to the great suggestions already posted, the Port of Civitavecchia also has options:

Civitavecchia Port Transfers

We use Rome Cabs and have for several years.  We also enjoy Civitavecchia.  We have visited Rome a few times but enjoy the small town feel of Civitavecchia.  They also have some great restaurants.  We stay at San Giorgio.  Have used the train one time and preferred Rome Cab.

I’ll just add a counterpoint about staying in Rome vs Civitavecchia. Rome is a beautiful world class city with something to see around every corner. Civitavecchia is a so-so port city that I cannot call charming, at least not compared to most other places I’ve visited in Italy. Hotels there are highly average, little effort is made to improve them as they have a captive market due to cruisers.

If you’ve come to see Rome, stay in Rome. There’s no good reason to commute three hours daily from Civi when you could be spending that time in Rome. 

(And I say this as one who has visited Rome more than a dozen times. I always find something new worth seeing. Just last November I spent nearly a week there and I still have some things on my list for next time….)

• Like 3