Recommendation for a 7-night cruise with a 10 year old?

We (the grandparents) are hoping to take each of the grandchildren on a trip when they turn 10. Our grandson's trip will be 2025 and he has requested a cruise after seeing commercials for the Icon lol. I don't think we want a ship quite that big or expensive but looking for one (Caribbean only sailing from any FL port) that has lots to do for kids. We won't use the kids club unless he really wants to.

We will be on Radiance in July 2024 for a multi-gen trip which will be his first cruise but he'll be with his sibling and cousins so it will seem very exciting with the port activities we have planned. But I know the ship itself will seem low key so looking for something in 2025 to step up the ship fun factor. My husband and I sailed Allure when it was new and Oasis years ago but no kids with us so I don't know how exciting they would seem today. Thanks for advice. 

48 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Any ship.

Do you mean any Oasis class ship? I don't want just any ship so that's why I'm asking the experts here. We won't do another Radiance class since we are doing that in 2024 and I am not interested in Vision class so maybe I should have been more specific. Anything from Voyager class through Quantum class would probably be fine - just looking to narrow that down.

I took my great nephew, he's 10, on Oasis.  He had a blast.  Pizza and water slides.  Lot's of kids to play with.  (Over Thanksgiving)  I would suggest you book one of the larger ships...they have more for kids to do.

• Like 1

My son is now 18 and he has been on pretty much all the classes of ship since he was 2 years old. I would highly recommend any Oasis class ship-so Symphony, Wonder, Harmony, Allure or Oasis. So much for a 10yo to do…Flowrider, rock climbing, ice skating, mini-golf, ping pong,The Abyss slide, swimming, super fun shows, lots of places to eat. Also I can recommend the Odyssey which has a few different things like laser tag and bumper cars. I would not go for the smaller ships as it looks like you are already doing that this year. Voyager class is ok, too-But I just got off Explorer and was personally a bit off put by the condition of the ship. Old and tired and in need of renovations and paint. Explorer appeared to be “rode hard and put away wet” 😂Was on Adventure 2 years ago and she was still in pretty good shape. I would pick the Independence or Freedom over any voyager class ship as the are newer and in better shape and have essentially all the same “stuff” and not quite as large as Oasis, if you don’t want mega-ship. I’m sure he’ll have a great time no matter what you choose! 

Edited by zanydoc

Allure did not receive the updates, so no slides on that one.   It would probably have less appeal than Oasis, Symphony, Wonder which have the longer itineraries, or Utopia which is doing shorter ones from Florida.

• Like 1

We took the family, including kids and grandkids, on the Allure a few years ago. I'd have no hesitation taking them again, but in a couple of weeks we are taking them on the Symphony of the Seas for an 8-night Southern Caribbean cruise. Based on everything I've read, it will be a great success for the g-kids. One will be 10, one going on 9, one 12 and one 14.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

My son (almost 12) has been on Radiance, Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships and equally enjoyed them all. Which is why I say any.

Thank you - that makes sense!

12 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

We took the family, including kids and grandkids, on the Allure a few years ago. I'd have no hesitation taking them again, but in a couple of weeks we are taking them on the Symphony of the Seas for an 8-night Southern Caribbean cruise. Based on everything I've read, it will be a great success for the g-kids. One will be 10, one going on 9, one 12 and one 14.

I just saw that route for Symphony and thought it looks very interesting! 

43 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Allure did not receive the updates, so no slides on that one.   It would probably have less appeal than Oasis, Symphony, Wonder which have the longer itineraries, or Utopia which is doing shorter ones from Florida.

Good to know - he's trying to decide if he wants a shorter cruise with a little extra time in Orlando. I remember years ago avoiding the -3-4 day cruises so it wouldn't be such a party atmosphere but we are limited to summer months so it will be lots of kids which will be fun, hopefully!

Edited by surgie

10 minutes ago, surgie said:

I just saw that route for Symphony and thought it looks very interesting! 

We felt that it was a great mix of sea days, to allow the g-kids in particular to enjoy everything that the ship has to offer, and ports that we can all enjoy. Needless to say, we're counting down the days. 😇

• Like 1

I would start any child out on a lesser than Oasis class ship. Otherwise what do they have to look forward to?  

Our kids first sailed on the Explorer in 2001 then later the Freedom. We also did a few Carnival cruises back in the day.   Always had a good time. It wasn't until they were grown up did they do an Oasis class. They still talk about the Explorer and Freedom.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mac66 said:

I would start any child out on a lesser than Oasis class ship. Otherwise what do they have to look forward to?  

Our kids first sailed on the Explorer in 2001 then later the Freedom. We also did a few Carnival cruises back in the day.   Always had a good time. It wasn't until they were grown up did they do an Oasis class. They still talk about the Explorer and Freedom.

I see your point but he will be on Radiance this summer and the 2025 cruise is the only one we are likely to do with him so I'm fine if it's the best we can afford. LOL if he is still interested in cruising there will be way more options in 10+ years when he's an adult.

Our granddaughters (now 16 and 9) have been on Oasis and Freedom and two large Disney ships.  For onboard stuff, Oasis class is best (although Anthem has bumper cars and iFly, no diving show).  But some ships like Navigator have escape rooms (not sure of age limit, though).  They are also going on Radiance to Alaska this year.  Girls wanted to see more of Alaska despite lack of activities on Radiance.

Ask what he is interested in and look at the options on the various ships with him.  And find out what kind of things he wants to do in port - we pick our cruises solely for the ports.  Remember that the very large ships can only go to certain places.  Maybe he would like Grand Cayman (snorkeling, stingrays and turtles), or the Panama Canal locks or ziplines/tubing in Jamaica or Amazing Race in St Maarten.

By the way, for Orlando you can't beat a day at Discovery Cove.  Dolphin and snorkeling pools were a bit chilly on January 1, but the lazy river, animals and food were great.  Spring for a cabana for really top experience.  Nine year old in movie.

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, h20skibum said:

OP said 2025. Allure is getting Amp'd in March/April 2025. But after, it is spending the summer in the Mediterranean. 

• Like 1

I don't think you could go wrong with Oasis class, but Freedom class was also a big hit with my kids when they were that age. Personally, I'd just reach out to my TA and ask for whatever might be a good deal in your time frame on Freedom, Oasis or Quantum class.

• Like 1

My daughter sailed on:

Age 8 - Nordic Empress (aka Empress of the Seas).  4 night RT San Juan

Age 9 - HAL Rotterdam VI. 12 night Copenhagen to Dover

Age 9 - Premier SeaBreeze. 5 night RT CA/NE

Age 10 - Premier Rembrandt (aka HAL Rotterdam V). 7 night NY to Montreal

Age 10 - Carnival Jubilee (the original). 5 night RT Tampa

Age 11 - Radiance of the Seas (first sailing). 3 night RT Miami

Age 12 - Carnival Triumph.  7 night RT Norfolk to Bermuda

She enjoyed them all.

She has since been on HAL, Celebrity, RCI (Grandeur, Rhapsody, Anthem, Adventure), and Princess. 

She wants to go on Symphony this year.

Moral of the story ... I agree with @smokeybandit = Any Ship