Bus, Train, Car to Tube from Heathrow

Planes, trains and automobiles......

Flying from Canada to Heathrow and staying at the Park Plaza Westminster bridge.

Three adults each with a large suitcase and a carry on.

Trying to find the best way from Terminal 2 to our hotel while also trying to find a cheap way (low Canadian dollar value not helping).

Easiest would be a car service -  Hotel quoted 145 pounds, Blackberry Cars 114, Jewel's 80.

How are these and are there others that I should look at?

Also looked at Heathrow express but goes to Paddington and then need the tube from there to probably Waterloo station (Westminster says it has stairs).

National Express Bus - to Victoria station and then tube again.

Cheapest seems to be tube from Heathrow Piccadilly line to Green Park station and then Jubilee line to Waterloo or Westminster.

Also see there is an Elizabeth line from Heathrow but Hotel website lists Piccadilly line instructions.

At least for my cruise getting to Southampton seems straight forward using the train from Waterloo station.

I used a car service Just Airports from LHR to my London hotel - Park Plaza Westminster and Premier Inn Waterloo (a block behind Park Plaza Westminster).  Put in your hotel’s postal code to get a quote.

It is nice to be met after baggage area to be met and driven direct to your hotel after a long flight without dragging your luggage all over the place for transportation.

On embarkment day, check out International Friends from certain London hotels to Southampton dock with a stop at Stonehenge.

www.justairports.com

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

Edited by phabric
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eno said:

Cheapest seems to be tube from Heathrow Piccadilly line to Green Park station and then Jubilee line to Waterloo or Westminster.

If you're all fit enough to take the Tube (which presumably you are if you've been researching it), what you actually need is the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Barons Court, then a cross-platform change (about 10 feet) to the District Line to Westminster. There is step-free exit from Westminster station. Then just walk across Westminster Bridge to the hotel.

If you're travelling during the morning peak on a weekday, or in inclement weather, change at Hammersmith instead of Barons Court. The walk is about twice as long.

• Like 1

We  used the car service recommended by the Park Plaza Westminster. It wasn't exactly cheap, but it was danged easy. Driver met us at the airport exit, dropped us off at the hotel. We did a ride share to Southampton with a couple we met on our roll call.

Was worried about walking across Westminster bridge with luggage that is why I was I was looking at Waterloo stop. Figure by the time we land and clear customs will be about 10:30 am. Other thing with the flight and time change will running on no sleep for 24 hours by then. Not expecting to be able to sleep much on the flight. Adrenaline will be high as have always wanted to visit London. 

9 hours ago, Eno said:

Was worried about walking across Westminster bridge with luggage that is why I was I was looking at Waterloo stop.

To your hotel, it'll be much easier to walk across Westminster Bridge than to walk around from Waterloo. With luggage, I think that the only line to Waterloo that makes sense is the Jubilee Line, using the exits to the street at that end of the station (to Waterloo Road) - this is because I think there's still no step-free exit from the other lines. But from the Jubilee Line exit at Waterloo, the various walking routes to your hotel are all a bit irritating, even without luggage.

18 hours ago, Eno said:

(Westminster says it has stairs).

As Globaliser says, Westminster station is definitely more convenient for the Park Plaza across the bridge. Not sure where you read this about stairs - there are flights of stairs at various entrances to the station, but there is a lift at the Bridge Street north entrance (opposite 'Big Ben' on the bridge foot) and then lifts or escalators down to the platforms.

The bridge itself is a gentle slope. It can get quite busy with pedestrians, particularly when there are teams of 'cup and ball' scammers blocking the way!

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

On 1/16/2024 at 12:01 PM, phabric said:

I used a car service Just Airports from LHR to my London hotel - Park Plaza Westminster and Premier Inn Waterloo (a block behind Park Plaza Westminster).  Put in your hotel’s postal code to get a quote.

It is nice to be met after baggage area to be met and driven direct to your hotel after a long flight without dragging your luggage all over the place for transportation.

On embarkment day, check out International Friends from certain London hotels to Southampton dock with a stop at Stonehenge.

www.justairports.com

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

I’m thinking about using Just Airport service in June. How far out do you advise booking the service?

Also, is this a service that we should tip the driver? In the US we would tip our driver.

16 minutes ago, erinsmom03 said:

Also, is this a service that we should tip the driver? In the US we would tip our driver.

They won't be expecting a tip. But if the driver has been good, friendly and safe - that is to say, doing more than just doing their job - then I will often tip a few pounds. But it wouldn't be any more than £5.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, erinsmom03 said:

I’m thinking about using Just Airport service in June. How far out do you advise booking the service?

I would book now for the car service.  I think I gave £5 as a tip.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Globaliser said:

They won't be expecting a tip. But if the driver has been good, friendly and safe - that is to say, doing more than just doing their job - then I will often tip a few pounds. But it wouldn't be any more than £5.

2 hours ago, phabric said:

I would book now for the car service.  I think I gave £5 as a tip.

Thank you both for your quick answers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 1:21 PM, Globaliser said:

If you're all fit enough to take the Tube (which presumably you are if you've been researching it), what you actually need is the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to Barons Court, then a cross-platform change (about 10 feet) to the District Line to Westminster. There is step-free exit from Westminster station. Then just walk across Westminster Bridge to the hotel.

If you're travelling during the morning peak on a weekday, or in inclement weather, change at Hammersmith instead of Barons Court. The walk is about twice as long.

A little confused about what you mean about" change at Hammersmith instead of Barons Court. The walk is about twice as long."  Does this mean to still get off at Westminster?  What walk is twice as long as what?  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, dickinson said:

A little confused about what you mean about" change at Hammersmith instead of Barons Court. The walk is about twice as long."  Does this mean to still get off at Westminster?  What walk is twice as long as what?  Thanks.

Normally, I would recommend that you change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Barons Court. This is a cross-platform change that involves a walk of about 10 feet.

However, you can also change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Hammersmith (which is one stop before Barons Court). This is also a cross-platform change, but you may have to walk about 20 feet to get to the other side of the platform.

In either case, you take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to the change point (ie Hammersmith or Barons Court), and you take the District Line from the change point to Westminster.

16 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Normally, I would recommend that you change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Barons Court. This is a cross-platform change that involves a walk of about 10 feet.

However, you can also change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Hammersmith (which is one stop before Barons Court). This is also a cross-platform change, but you may have to walk about 20 feet to get to the other side of the platform.

In either case, you take the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow to the change point (ie Hammersmith or Barons Court), and you take the District Line from the change point to Westminster.

Now it makes sense but not sure why it makes a difference if there is inclement weather. 

Edited by dickinson

1 hour ago, Cotswold Eagle said:
3 hours ago, dickinson said:

Now it makes sense but not sure why it makes a difference if there is inclement weather. 

There’s a roof over the platforms at Hammersmith 😀

Well, a bigger and better roof!

To answer the unasked question about the morning peak, it's to do with the flow of passengers. A reasonable number of eastbound District Line passengers get off at Hammersmith (more than get off at Barons Court), to be replaced by passengers boarding at Hammersmith. So if the District Line train is busy, it's easier to get on with your luggage at Hammersmith than at Barons Court. But outside the peak, it's rarely difficult to get on a District Line train at Barons Court.

Of such detail are Tube route recommendations made. And endlessly argued over.

• Haha 1

I live in London and get cars to/from the airport often. Personally, I wouldn't attempt public transport and lugging heavy suitcases around the tube after a transatlantic flight and suffering the effects of jet lag (and I'm local so I know my way around the tube) so I would recommend you make life easy and arrange a car service.

IMO the price you have been given by the hotel is extortionate and you can find much better prices booking directly with local cab companies.

I can recommend 2 companies I use often:

Exclusive Airports

Britannia Airport Cars

Both would be £70 - £80 from Heathrow Terminal 2 to the Park Plaza Westminster and you can pre-book and pre-pay online using a credit card.