“LIVE” from the newest Celebrity lady —- Celebrity Ascent — January 21, 2024.

mac_tlc

18 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

And, finally:

The Ascent:

She is a beautiful lady. Similar in all respects to the Beyond. We like the decor and we even found a few seats that were comfortable! Love Cafe alBacio and the free food selections. Great place to watch the world go by -- inside or outside the ship. The theatre is spectacular. Deck 5 front row seats have a lot of legroom.

We thoroughly enjoyed our week on the Ascent. It was also great to sail with people we have met on prior cruises -- and right here on CC!!

@Mrs_Tiki, great to see you and DH again. Please let us know how DH does with that new Knee and I expect a comparison of Ascent to Seashore !!!

@mac_tlc, great to see you and DW as well! I am about to start a thread comparing the two experiences. Spoiler alert ~ we are enjoying Seashore more than our prior MSC experience on Seascape and may be drifting into @GenerationX's camp.....

• Like 1

Re: Butlers, Retreat Hosts, part 12,587,352

@mac_tlc, our experience was exactly opposite of yours. We had the same Head Butler (Edwin) as @Texed, and he was awesome. We saw him at least once a day, and he brought us a fruit and cheese plate every afternoon at 5:00 per our request. 

On the other hand, our Retreat Host (not naming names) was adequate, but nothing special. I do appreciate her bringing extra ice at each service so that DH could ice his knee. However, we sent a bag of laundry and had to follow up with her several times to get it back 2.5 days later. She did seem to try hard, but always seemed overwhelmed and out of breath.

The Retreat Concierge team assisted me with WiFi, but we had no other substantive interaction.

So, opposite experience with the Butler and Retreat Host, but exact same bottom line. Not the experience that we had on prior cruises in the Retreat. We will continue to follow pricing but will be looking at other options rather than sticking with X exclusively.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We had Edwin for our butler as well. He was fabulous! He arranged a private party for us. Wine, Charcuterie and assortment of breads. We saw him frequently throughout the cruise. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

@mac_tlc, our experience was exactly opposite of yours. We had the same Head Butler (Edwin) as @Texed, and he was awesome. We saw him at least once a day, and he brought us a fruit and cheese plate every afternoon at 5:00 per our request. 

This has me wondering if Celebrity is experimenting with levels of butler service even just on a single ship. Or perhaps Edwin is simply a rock star butler.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

This has me wondering if Celebrity is experimenting with levels of butler service even just on a single ship. Or perhaps Edwin is simply a rock star butler.

It is very interesting, and it will be noted in my survey which I received and will probably do today. My guess is Edwin is a rock star. 

mac_tlc

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

@mac_tlc, great to see you and DW as well! I am about to start a thread comparing the two experiences. Spoiler alert ~ we are enjoying Seashore more than our prior MSC experience on Seascape and may be drifting into @GenerationX's camp.....

Oh boy, this is going to cost me several thousand dollars as I search out a YC experience !!!

Enjoy!!

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

37 minutes ago, Mrs_Tiki said:

On the other hand, our Retreat Host (not naming names) was adequate, but nothing special. I do appreciate her bringing extra ice at each service so that DH could ice his knee. However, we sent a bag of laundry and had to follow up with her several times to get it back 2.5 days later. She did seem to try hard, but always seemed overwhelmed and out of breath.

The Retreat Concierge team assisted me with WiFi, but we had no other substantive interaction.

So, opposite experience with the Butler and Retreat Host, but exact same bottom line. Not the experience that we had on prior cruises in the Retreat. We will continue to follow pricing but will be looking at other options rather than sticking with X exclusively.

Sounds like if we pair up Edwin with Ivan we have a winning team !!

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc

To continue to beat a dead horse - we had a card for a head butler whose name I do not remember (Singh?) who we never met. We did see him a few times but most of his time was spent chatting with what appeared to be a very needy couple. Our stateroom attendant, who now wear the Retreat Host name tag, was also friendly and adequate but did nothing beyond what a Cabin Attendant working an inside cabin would have done. Two other couples with us staying outside of the Retreat had more attentive service from their Cabin Attendant than we did our Retreat Host. It feels very convoluted now with Cabin Attendants wearing Retreat Host name badges, how many "Head Butlers" (?), Retreat Concierge, Retreat Manager and I may be missing a few. Whoever it is that works the desk and answers phones in the Retreat Lounge were almost always on the phone or talking with other employees. 

We were happy with many of the other aspects of the cruise but on our next booking on S class with no real Retreat facilities it would feel absolutely foolish to pay 160% (equating to $800 more per night) more for a Sky Suite than a V1 veranda. We won't write off Celebrity but their experimentation with all of the Retreat changes has encouraged me to spend substantially less on future cruises instead of more. 

Overall - will continue to cruise Celebrity and particularly the E class ships but suite bookings and what I am willing to spend will be reduced significantly. 

Edited by paulh84
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

To continue to beat a dead horse - we had a card for a head butler whose name I do not remember (Singh?) who we never met. We did see him a few times but most of his time was spent chatting with what appeared to be a very needy couple. Our stateroom attendant, who now wear the Retreat Host name tag, was also friendly and adequate but did nothing beyond what a Cabin Attendant working an inside cabin would have done. Two other couples with us staying outside of the Retreat had more attentive service from their Cabin Attendant than we did our Retreat Host. It feels very convoluted now with Cabin Attendants wearing Retreat Host name badges, how many "Head Butlers" (?), Retreat Concierge, Retreat Manager and I may be missing a few. Whoever it is that works the desk and answers phones in the Retreat Lounge were almost always on the phone or talking with other employees. 

We were happy with many of the other accepts with the cruise but on our next booking on S class with no real Retreat facilities it would feel absolutely foolish to pay 160% (equating to $800 more per night) more for a Sky Suite than a V1 veranda. We won't write off Celebrity but their experimentation with all of the Retreat changes has encouraged me to spend substantially less on future cruises instead of more. 

Overall - will continue to cruise Celebrity and particularly the E class ships but suite bookings and what I am willing to spend will be reduced significantly. 

Well said and similar to our approach going forward. 

mac_tlc

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

It is very interesting, and it will be noted in my survey which I received and will probably do today. My guess is Edwin is a rock star. 

mac_tlc

Was there more than 1 Head Butler?  On the Edge there was 1 and we saw him of day 1 or 26 and again about day 18.  He did arrange a standing juice order for DH beyond that nothing.  But with 142 Sky Suites I didn’t expect to see him.  

Just now, jelayne said:

Was there more than 1 Head Butler?  On the Edge there was 1 and we saw him of day 1 or 26 and again about day 18.  He did arrange a standing juice order for DH beyond that nothing.  But with 142 Sky Suites I didn’t expect to see him.  

Sounds like there are at least two. Ours was Milan, others had Edwin. 

IMG_5342.jpeg

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Ours was Singh so there were definitely at least 3 based on the specific names noted here. 

13 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Ours was Singh so there were definitely at least 3 based on the specific names noted here. 

Sounds like starting adding back Butlers as they can get them.

1 hour ago, paulh84 said:

We were happy with many of the other aspects of the cruise but on our next booking on S class with no real Retreat facilities it would feel absolutely foolish to pay 160% (equating to $800 more per night) more for a Sky Suite than a V1 veranda. We won't write off Celebrity but their experimentation with all of the Retreat changes has encouraged me to spend substantially less on future cruises instead of more. 

We felt the same way after this cruise. Saw our butler once…the Retreat Lounge reminded me of a Doctors waiting room.  We spent more time out of the retreat than in.  I’m fine with Aqua or even less.  The only real benefit was the larger room and bathroom in our SS. 

Bar service on the retreat pool deck was great, I will say that..but the Sunset Bar was just as good. 

I am glad I got the deal I did, although I talked to some who paid even less to get a Magic Carpet suite for even less through the upgrade program. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Sounds like starting adding back Butlers as they can get them.

I do not have the right answer to solve the problem but if that's the intent it just seems to be creating more inconsistency and frustration. Our cabin neighbors did not know of the butler changes and were not very pleased. Her last cruise was when Butlers had been renamed Personal Retreat Host. On day 1 she was wondering why the Retreat Host was dressed so casually then learned they were really just the Cabin Attendant.

They have gone from Butler to Personal Retreat Host to Retreat Host to Head Butler now (maybe?) back to Butler but only for some people. More communication and a clear expectation of who does what role is sorely needed. Until then it's back to the cheap rooms for us and I'll save my $800 per day. 

2 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

My guess is Edwin is a rock star. 

My guess is you are correct. Thanks for the live posts and review.

38 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

More communication and a clear expectation of who does what role is sorely needed.

All Celebrity will say is "This is better."

7 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

We felt the same way after this cruise. Saw our butler once…the Retreat Lounge reminded me of a Doctors waiting room.  We spent more time out of the retreat than in.  I’m fine with Aqua or even less.  The only real benefit was the larger room and bathroom in our SS. 

Bar service on the retreat pool deck was great, I will say that..but the Sunset Bar was just as good. 

I am glad I got the deal I did, although I talked to some who paid even less to get a Magic Carpet suite for even less through the upgrade program. 

This is pretty much how we felt after our 1st Retreat experience on the Beyond in April (tho LOVED the opportunity to sail w/ @mac_tlc @Mrs_Tiki & @GenerationX (oh, rats, I know there were others whose handles escape me...)

We enjoyed Retreat & all the perks & for what we paid in April, inclusive of most tips plus a large OBC chunk, we probably would again at that price with comparable perks.

But we didn't find Retreat  to be overall BETTER than our non-retreat sailings.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paulh84 said:

I do not have the right answer to solve the problem but if that's the intent it just seems to be creating more inconsistency and frustration. Our cabin neighbors did not know of the butler changes and were not very pleased. Her last cruise was when Butlers had been renamed Personal Retreat Host. On day 1 she was wondering why the Retreat Host was dressed so casually then learned they were really just the Cabin Attendant.

They have gone from Butler to Personal Retreat Host to Retreat Host to Head Butler now (maybe?) back to Butler but only for some people. More communication and a clear expectation of who does what role is sorely needed. Until then it's back to the cheap rooms for us and I'll save my $800 per day. 

Man, an extra $800 per day is just mind boggling to me. I would definitley nit pay that either.  I'm with you on that. Just a waste of money. 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:06 AM, mac_tlc said:

IMG_5377.jpeg

Still quite windy this morning. Seas were rocking a bit yesterday, we have never been bothered by it but you could definitely feel it. 

I met up with some friends we met on Beyond last year in the Retreat Lounge  before sailaway. So nice to chat with folks we have met before! 

As I mentioned in an earlier post we like to eat early so at 5:30 we headed to the Retreat Lounge for a snack and a drink. It was fairly crowded as is to be expected on day 1 at that time. After a few minutes, I went to the bar to grab a drink . Woodford rye on the rocks. Good. 

Our usual snack has been the “homemade” chips and glazed nuts (usually vary every night). Here is the first minor noticeable cutback—-

IMG_5359.jpeg

Those are Lays chips and Planters peanuts. We will see if the selection changes. The other items available were as it has been in the past. 

Next up - Dinner at Luminae 

Mac_tlc

Mac if you are a Woodford man as I am at home. Ask at the retreat lounge if they have Buffalo Trace. You usually have to ask because it is not sitting on the shelf. I can't even get it in Greenville SC. You may be pleasantly surprised.

2 hours ago, danceswithphones said:

Our butler (Liam) told us the are adding butlers back to cover the Sky Suites. One to be added this week and another next week. Ramping back up.

That is good news, it your sailing is in the future. I’ll see if there is any difference on Beyond next month.

mac_tlc

1 minute ago, spiff2 said:

Mac if you are a Woodford man as I am at home. Ask at the retreat lounge if they have Buffalo Trace. You usually have to ask because it is not sitting on the shelf. I can't even get it in Greenville SC. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I did see a Buffalo Trace bottle on the shelf of the Pool Bar. It is very good. I’ll ask when on Beyond next month.

Thanks!

mac_tlc

43 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I did see a Buffalo Trace bottle on the shelf of the Pool Bar. It is very good. I’ll ask when on Beyond next month.

Thanks!

mac_tlc

Buffalo Trace was there for sure...it was in most every bar I went to...

47 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Thanks!

mac_tlc

I was on Celebrity Silhouette about a year ago, I was talking to retreat lounge bartender while having a Woodford in fact. I told him I like Buffalo Trace best but it was hard to come by. He said "got it". Went behind the bar and in a cabinet got the bottle and poured a big one. I then convinced him to send one to the Sunset bar for my nightly cigar. Smooth sailing after that.