Taxis at Miami port

sellwingri

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

We normally take a taxi from our hotel to the port and back to the airport but there will be 5 of us.  Any suggestions for car services?

I just use Uber and Lyft in Miami-- the XL option will accommodate 5. Most of the smaller car services in the area are on UberBlack anyway so it's just easier to use the app. 

• Like 1

Most of the car services now book through Uber and Lyft. They'll probably pull up with stickers for the company you booked through and an Uber and Lyft sticker.

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Thanks but I’m not interested in Lyft or Uber.  Il looking for a car service.

Like Mark said-- that's just the case down there. I used to use a mom and pop car service in Miami and just gave up because they moved over to Uber (and literally told me that its how they prefer to do business instead of individual bookings). 

If you want something that's a little more upscale than UberBlack check out an app called Blacklane. Generally newer cars and more like using an independent car service. 

You may need to wait a minute or two for a van taxi to come to the front of the line.  5 plus bags may even need to split into two regular cabs (especially if any in your group pack like my wife).

1 hour ago, JohninDC said:

You may need to wait a minute or two for a van taxi to come to the front of the line.  5 plus bags may even need to split into two regular cabs (especially if any in your group pack like my wife).

2 taxis is what I’d like to avoid since we can’t be separated.  Thanks for the info.

There is a surcharge (30%?) associated with using a van cab - assuming you all fit into one van taxi the fare will be higher, but still cheaper than two cabs.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

The definitive information on taxi fares in Miami-Dade County from the local government's website (I've highlighted sections specifically of interest to cruisers):

On July 19, 2022, the Board of County Commissioners adopted the attached Resolution R-700-22 revising the established maximum taxicab rates. The Resolution provides the following changes:

• The metered rate is calculated at:
    • $2.95 for first 1/6 of a mile.
    • $0.85 for each additional 1/6 mile until 1 mile.
    • $0.55 for each 1/6 mile after that.
    • $0.40 per minute ($24 per hour) wait charge. No additional charge for extra passengers or luggage.
    •  
  • All flat fare rates are eliminated. The meter rate applies now to all trips. This also applies to taxicabs providing services under the Airport Regional Taxicab Service (ARTS/Blue Cabs) Program.
  • The ARTS program will continue but passengers will be charged the meter rate instead of a flat fare.
  • A 30 percent surcharge above the taxicab meter rate is established for larger vehicles (sport utility vehicles and vans). This surcharge does not apply to wheelchair accessible vehicles providing taxicab services to wheelchair users. Vehicles authorized to charge the 30 percent surcharge shall display a 30 percent surcharge decal inside the vehicle.

A minimum fare of $15 is established for trips originated at MIA or the Port of Miami, regardless of what the meter reading shows. If the meter shows a number greater than $15.00, then the greater number shown on the meter shall be paid.

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/service.page?Mduid_service=ser1572618493969359

• Like 1