Is concerige stateroom worth the extra $$$

vipro

41 minutes ago, mb777 said:

Why do you type "AIUI"?  How do we know what this means?  Is it something related to cruising?  I don't get it.

::blush::  Showing my age here.  From the days of USENET (1980s), even:  As I Understand It.

(Psst!  GIYF = Google is your friend 😉 )

• Like 2

OP here again,

At the end we decided to go for it despite the recommendations from most ppl here. As you might have guessed we are not rich but we are still working so we can afford that little extra but we always go on the philiosphy of spending wise, especially after our previous experience on another cruiseline that concerige has no difference (and hence i asked the question)

Thanks for all those who have filled-in the info I did not know before. I also found a video of the Aquamar Spa Terrace on Vista so I know what it is like (small but has hot tubs, as someone said, it is weather dependent, I hope cruising in the MEDITERRANEAN during summer will give us sunny days)

I think the deciding factor really is the priority of getting the specialty dining. Last time we got a good deal to get on to the Regent 7 seas (as you might have guessed, we could only äfford" the cheapest catg) and as soon as reservations were opened for excursions and dining, it seems the best options were already gone, especially for those excursions that were most appealing (Regent advertised on their unlimited excursions, but they structured their half day excursions to be long enough that you could not get do two on each day, alas that is another topic) so it might be worthwhile to pay for a better chance to get the better time slots.

Again, thanks very much for all the responses, they were really helpful to get honest opinions.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, vipro said:

OP here again,

At the end we decided to go for it despite the recommendations from most ppl here. As you might have guessed we are not rich but we are still working so we can afford that little extra but we always go on the philiosphy of spending wise, especially after our previous experience on another cruiseline that concerige has no difference (and hence i asked the question)

Thanks for all those who have filled-in the info I did not know before. I also found a video of the Aquamar Spa Terrace on Vista so I know what it is like (small but has hot tubs, as someone said, it is weather dependent, I hope cruising in the MEDITERRANEAN during summer will give us sunny days)

I think the deciding factor really is the priority of getting the specialty dining. Last time we got a good deal to get on to the Regent 7 seas (as you might have guessed, we could only äfford" the cheapest catg) and as soon as reservations were opened for excursions and dining, it seems the best options were already gone, especially for those excursions that were most appealing (Regent advertised on their unlimited excursions, but they structured their half day excursions to be long enough that you could not get do two on each day, alas that is another topic) so it might be worthwhile to pay for a better chance to get the better time slots.

Again, thanks very much for all the responses, they were really helpful to get honest opinions.

Basically, you asked a "Should I order chocolate or pistachio ice cream?" question.  Enjoy your pistachio!  😉 

Bon voyage and bon appétit!

Well yes, but I needed more info about whether the chocolate is Belgian Godiva or Sicilian Pistachio Gelato. But yes thanks for all the help. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So the story did not end here.... just got told by my TA that the A4 catg became GUARANTEED (was AVAILABLE before I requested, so this is highly suspicious what game the cruise company was playing...😡)

So now i either go with the guaranteed or dish out an another $100 for a A3, either way make the upgrade less favourable than before. (and even harder to justify)

So I guess i would have to take chances on when to eat in those specialty restaurants. 

18 hours ago, vipro said:

Never been on an O before and now thinking of doing a cruise on Vista. We are presented with the different pricing options of the staterooms and we are still debating whether it is worth it to pay more for a concerige A category room vs. the normal B category veranda stateroom. (We are not rich enough to go anything else beyond)

So according to the website these are the extra perks that the concerige will give you:

• Expanded lunch and dinner room service menu from The Grand Dining Room

The question i want to ask is, does it mean I can order anything from the GDR menu of the day for room service or just some fixed, selected items from GDR everyday? 

This one seems attractive if I can order different things different day. But if the menu just added a few random, fixed items from the GDR, then it will be less appealing.

• Complimentary laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom+

As the ship provides self-service laundrette this is a nice to have, especially when we are going for a 10 night cruise, which won't be enough anyway. I also wonder how big the bag is.

• Exclusive card-only access to private Concierge Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day

Given that the illy coffee is free anyway and soft drinks are available in our minibar and I presume snacks are available somewhere in the bakery throughout the day so the difference is just a private lounge? But then i guess the ship should have plenty of lounges so again this is a nice to have.

• Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne

This is good but i guess you will also have access to champagne in the meals as part of the selected more package.

• Priority online specialty restaurant reservations

This will be good but again not essential as I thought everyone is guaranteed at least 1 per specialty restaurant? even for B catg?

I think this is the really good differentator if the Terrace has a lot to offer. So far from the pictures I can only see a pool inside. But at least I don't need to fight with the chair hoggers outside? Is there anything else besides the pool? sauna?

• Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag

nice to have as a souvenir. Again, not essential.

• Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda

Never thought of needing that, especially this is a summer cruise in the Mediterranean 

• Complimentary pressing of garment upon embarkation++

Now this is great but if there are no formal nights we might not need to bring in jackets?

• Complimentary shoeshine service

Ditto.

So, for people who have stayed in the concerige class before, could you recommend which perks are the differentiators? or should I save the extra $$$ for an excursion or two? 

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Thanks.

We did concerige 

Never been on an O before and now thinking of doing a cruise on Vista. We are presented with the different pricing options of the staterooms and we are still debating whether it is worth it to pay more for a concerige A category room vs. the normal B category veranda stateroom. (We are not rich enough to go anything else beyond)

So according to the website these are the extra perks that the concerige will give you:

The question i want to ask is, does it mean I can order anything from the GDR menu of the day for room service or just some fixed, selected items from GDR everyday? 

This one seems attractive if I can order different things different day. But if the menu just added a few random, fixed items from the GDR, then it will be less appealing.

As the ship provides self-service laundrette this is a nice to have, especially when we are going for a 10 night cruise, which won't be enough anyway. I also wonder how big the bag is.

• Exclusive card-only access to private Concierge Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day

Given that the illy coffee is free anyway and soft drinks are available in our minibar and I presume snacks are available somewhere in the bakery throughout the day so the difference is just a private lounge? But then i guess the ship should have plenty of lounges so again this is a nice to have.

This is good but i guess you will also have access to champagne in the meals as part of the selected more package.

This will be good but again not essential as I thought everyone is guaranteed at least 1 per specialty restaurant? even for B catg?

I think this is the really good differentator if the Terrace has a lot to offer. So far from the pictures I can only see a pool inside. But at least I don't need to fight with the chair hoggers outside? Is there anything else besides the pool? sauna?

Never thought of needing that, especially this is a summer cruise in the Mediterranean 

Now this is great but if there are no formal nights we might not need to bring in jackets?

Ditto.

So, for people who have stayed in the concerige class before, could you recommend which perks are the differentiators? or should I save the extra $$$ for an excursion or two? 

Thanks.

We had a concerige cabin on Vista last year and the  

Ditto.

Thanks.

We did a concerige cabin on Vista last year and there was not much added value for me.  Did take advantage of the laundry perk as well as the lounge but those two perks are not worth the additional money for me.  Loved the ship but will probably just book a veranda cabin next time. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

AIUI, O's new ships go through the big 2016 locks, and only the 'R'-class ships (which have had their cardreader locks to the Spa Terrace removed) go through the "interesting" 1914 canal locks. 

Either way, keep the $25.

Not sure about this. We were on O class for Panama Canal in 2019 and went through the old locks. Yes the new locks were open, we could see ships using them. 

20 hours ago, vipro said:

... we are still debating whether it is worth it to pay more for a concerige A category room vs. the normal B category veranda stateroom.:

Complimentary laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom+

We have recent experience with both B and A cabins. We just finished a 20-night B2B on Riviera. First 10 nights in an A3 and the 2nd 10 nights in a B3. We'd spent 10 nights on Riviera in an A4 back in 12/2021 and 10 nights on Sirena in 11/2022 in a B2.

IF you enjoy reading newspapers, as I do, the Concierge Lounge has a selection of American, British and Canadian newspapers. There is also coffee and snacks.

We DID use and enjoy the therapy spa pool, but Riviera has the BIGGER pool. I don't know if Vista does. We'd jump into it after excursions but before dinner. And sometimes even after dinner.

It DOES make a difference for dinner for "dinner for 2" dining in the specialty restaurants. We were able to reserve the earlier times we want (e.g., 6:30 PM) in our A3, but could NOT in our B3. With the B3 we could only get 8:30 or 9 pm reservations and the one 9 pm they changed to 8:30 (because there wasn't anyone coming in at that time and the restaurant is emptying out).

The OLD tote bag is far more useable than the NEW one. I use the OLD one for all of our excursions, as it is strong and has a zipper with lots of pockets. The NEW bag is really only good for putting your dirty clothes in it and carrying back clean folded clothes.

We did OUR OWN LAUNDRY on both segments. We spent 3 nights in Venice before and 3 nights in Barcelona after so we did laundry on day 1 and day 19. And I think we did a load or two of laundry on 3 other days. First thing worked wonders. It is pretty convenient to do your own, esp. on a sea day. Wife and I worked as a team. Sometimes I'd wait 15 or so minutes for a washing machine to come available and then time the drying. Both washers and dryers have timers counting down.

The bottle of champagne is just that, one bottle. We didn't drink it for days, because we bring our own alcohol on board (beer, hard liquor and wine that we drink in our cabin) and we enjoy the Captain's Party and the Repeater Party (so free drinks for us for 4 nights out of the 20).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

(I haven’t read all of the previous posts here in this thread…I’m such a BAD BOY…)

We have just done just one cruise with Oceania, on Riviera in category A4.  I’t hard to tell if the “benefits” of concierge was “worth it.”. However, this cruise was initially purchased when A4 was much more expensive than lower category cabins (and we initially booked the lowest category balcony, if I remember correctly).  Then the Extraordinary Sale or something like that made A4 substantially lower than that and we went for it.

From my understanding A1-4 cabins are pretty much identical in size/features to lower level balcony cabins.  We didn’t really think the concierge lounge was something we valued much.  Three free bags of laundry was great.  We didn’t think the “free” champagne was worth our time.  And we could not really finish the whole bottle.  It would have been better if we have gotten several glasses of free wine in the dining rooms instead (this was a pre “Simply More!!!” booking).  I think we had one pair of shoes sent for free shoe shining.

The concierge person in the lounge had very little knowledge of the ports of call, much less than us, so that did not add any value to us.  The lounge was a bit small for the crowds.

We never went to the area in front of the spa…it was a bit cool for that most of the cruise late November Mediterranean cruise).

So, it really depends on the actual dollar cost of booking A1-4.  My suggestion is to add up the potential cost of all of the “free” stuff you get in A1-4, and see if that is equal to or greater than the price difference.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nachosdelux said:

AIUI = as I understand it.

(frankly not a well known abbreviation)

Thanks!  I have no idea how people keep track of all these abbreviations.  I just type "as I understand it" if I'm using that term.  Only takes maybe 2 seconds longer!  Then again I'm old school so really don't use abbreviations at all when texting or messaging.

8 hours ago, vipro said:

So the story did not end here.... just got told by my TA that the A4 catg became GUARANTEED (was AVAILABLE before I requested, so this is highly suspicious what game the cruise company was playing...😡)

So now i either go with the guaranteed or dish out an another $100 for a A3, either way make the upgrade less favourable than before. (and even harder to justify)

So I guess i would have to take chances on when to eat in those specialty restaurants. 

Hi

we booked a guarantee PH 3 stateroom for our upcoming cruise. The ship has been sold out for many weeks. When we booked, I was told we would be guaranteed a stateroom in at least the PH3 category. We were able to make dining reservations based on our guaranteed PH3 stateroom weeks before we were assigned a cabin. 2 weeks before the cruise we were assigned a PH2 cabin. We book with a travel agent. Not sure if that made a difference.

• Like 1

Just now, Great16 said:

Hi

we booked a guarantee PH 3 stateroom for our upcoming cruise. The ship has been sold out for many weeks. When we booked, I was told we would be guaranteed a stateroom in at least the PH3 category. We were able to make dining reservations based on our guaranteed PH3 stateroom weeks before we were assigned a cabin. 2 weeks before the cruise we were assigned a PH2 cabin. We book with a travel agent. Not sure if that made a difference.

That's exactly what i was going to ask, if we really go for guaranteed could we still book our dining ahead of time, even without a room number, so it seems it is possible. Then I am thinking maybe we have to yield and go for a guaranteed, as i think all the rooms are alike so it probably does not matter what they assign.

After reading MEFlowa's post, the only thing we really care is if we get a dining slot at 9pm every time as my wife gets sleepy at around 10pm. I personally do not want to pay $$$ for a A3 so we might be ending up in a guaranteed A4. 

PS Oh my TA is not that great in fact the TAs in my country does not offer any perks or OBC, and it is just causing delays in bookings (also they are not as knowledgeable as the collective wisdom in this forum) so next time I would just book direct and save the hassle. 

Thanks

7 minutes ago, vipro said:

That's exactly what i was going to ask, if we really go for guaranteed could we still book our dining ahead of time, even without a room number, so it seems it is possible. Then I am thinking maybe we have to yield and go for a guaranteed, as i think all the rooms are alike so it probably does not matter what they assign.

After reading MEFlowa's post, the only thing we really care is if we get a dining slot at 9pm every time as my wife gets sleepy at around 10pm. I personally do not want to pay $$$ for a A3 so we might be ending up in a guaranteed A4. 

PS Oh my TA is not that great in fact the TAs in my country does not offer any perks or OBC, and it is just causing delays in bookings (also they are not as knowledgeable as the collective wisdom in this forum) so next time I would just book direct and save the hassle. 

Thanks

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding it, but the main dining room is first-come, first-served, with not reservation required, so it should not make any difference which cabin you select.

7 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding it, but the main dining room is first-come, first-served, with not reservation required, so it should not make any difference which cabin you select.

Sorry i meant the priority booking on the 4 specialty restaurants. One of the more important perks for being concierge (one level above the bottom of the food chain) is to be able to book earlier than the veranda class (bottom of the food chain)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Snaefell3 said:

AIUI, O's new ships go through the big 2016 locks, and only the 'R'-class ships … go through the "interesting" 1914 canal locks.

4 hours ago, babysteps said:

Not sure about this. We were on O class for Panama Canal in 2019 and went through the old locks. Yes the new locks were open, we could see ships using them. 

OK, now I "understand" it better. 😉 Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

For those who consider the champagne to be of no value, ask your cabin steward to swap it out for a bottle of wine.  We have done it in the past and did it again on a fall Vista cruise to Canada.  The wine isn’t great but better than flat champagne.

Another concierge perk only briefly mentioned is the newspapers in the lounge.  If you still like a physical paper, they have New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Finncial Times, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VAWCB said:

The wine isn’t great but better than flat champagne.

FLAT?????? In decades of drinking 'sparkling wine' (Champagne and others) I've never opened a bottle and found it flat. If there are any oenophiles here could you please explain this. TIA.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, clo said:

FLAT?????? In decades of drinking 'sparkling wine' (Champagne and others) I've never opened a bottle and found it flat. If there are any oenophiles here could you please explain this. TIA.

Maybe they meant the next day if you do not finish the bottle. Not an issue with red or white wine.

8 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Maybe they meant the next day if you do not finish the bottle. Not an issue with red or white wine.

Oh could be. Our travel box contains one for those recorkers for sparkling.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VAWCB said:

For those who consider the champagne to be of no value, ask your cabin steward to swap it out for a bottle of wine.  We have done it in the past and did it again on a fall Vista cruise to Canada.  The wine isn’t great but better than flat champagne.

Another concierge perk only briefly mentioned is the newspapers in the lounge.  If you still like a physical paper, they have New York Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Finncial Times, etc.

We have exchanged the champagne for wine many times as well as exchanged the O Club red wine for white wine and never a problem. 

6 hours ago, Psoque said:

There is a report on another thread that when balcony couple ahead of a PH couple asked for a window 2top, they were told there were none left, but the PH couple claimed they got one.

One report only, without confirmation, and I'm not sure how the PH couple would know the balcony couple was in a balcony.

6 hours ago, vipro said:

Thanks

Just reading this thread.  I am one of those that spends the extra to be able to:

Order from Dining Room Menu for Lunch and Dinner (the menu of the day)

I love the Spa Terrace. Have not been on Vista yet (this Nov) but on Riviera I love the big pool with cascading water and jets. From looking at Vista it looks great with beautiful seating, the pool, hot tubs, loungers. Can't wait!

As for Concierge lounge, unless you like to read newspapers, not much there (have never seen a concierge). They do have some of O's "famous" cookies, coffee. soda but otherwise I do not go there.

Have used the free bags of laundry, most times comes back before the 3 days, but unpressed.

Priority embarkation, sometimes doesn't matter.

Oceania bag, very nice one now

Change the Champagne for wine if you wish.

Earlier booking at specialties, yes even Guaranteed. You might even get a better category if they cannot honor your Guaranty.

And I actually used the cashmere throw. At first I thought mine to keep.

Everybody has their own opinion and mine is I think it is worth it now where it really wasn't years ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

There is a report on another thread that when balcony couple ahead of a PH couple asked for a window 2top, they were told there were none left, but the PH couple claimed they got one.

One report only, without confirmation, and I'm not sure how the PH couple would know the balcony couple was in a balcony.

I don’t think it works like that.