Ice Cream

lenquixote66

I never met anyone who does not like ice cream.

What are your 3 favorite flavors ?

Mine are:Pistacchio,Rocky Road and Coffee

The very first time that I recall eating ice cream was at my fifth birthday party.

Green Apple, Fruits of the Forest, Pistachio.

My sweet tooth has developed in my later years. Born in 1950, my early years were spent whilst the UK still had food rationing, post WW2, with sugar being one of the last items to become freely available. So, desserts never really featured at home - Mum's cooking skills (such as they were) had developed in the ration years. Through most of my adult life, I've passed on desserts in restaurants and it's still a rare thing at home. But (and it's a big but), on occasions I  can now be very greedy with sweet things - which is a bit of an issue , as I'm Type 2 diabetic. 

Anyway, back to the ice cream. We have an annual winter sun holiday in Tenerife. We eat out every night and rarely have dessert. But I enjoy an after dinner stroll through the resort area, invariably stopping at one of the ice cream stands outside some of the restaurants. Love to get one and eat it watching the world go by. All of my favourite flavours come from those trips. At home, there's only ever vanilla in the freezer

Edited by Harters

7 hours ago, Harters said:

Green Apple, Fruits of the Forest, Pistachio.

My sweet tooth has developed in my later years. Born in 1950, my early years were spent whilst the UK still had food rationing, post WW2, with sugar being one of the last items to become freely available. So, desserts never really featured at home - Mum's cooking skills (such as they were) had developed in the ration years. Through most of my adult life, I've passed on desserts in restaurants and it's still a rare thing at home. But (and it's a big but), on occasions I  can now be very greedy with sweet things - which is a bit of an issue , as I'm Type 2 diabetic. 

Anyway, back to the ice cream. We have an annual winter sun holiday in Tenerife. We eat out every night and rarely have dessert. But I enjoy an after dinner stroll through the resort area, invariably stopping at one of the ice cream stands outside some of the restaurants. Love to get one and eat it watching the world go by. All of my favourite flavours come from those trips. At home, there's only ever vanilla in the freezer

I was born during WWII and I recall going shopping with my parents who used food stamps due to rationing.

7 hours ago, Harters said:

At home, there's only ever vanilla in the freezer

I've been reminded that, unusually, there isnt only vanilla at present. We had a supermarket home delivery last week and pomegranate was a "flash sale", so was snapped up by my partner. No idea what it tastes like but may find out this evening. 

1 minute ago, Harters said:

I've been reminded that, unusually, there isnt only vanilla at present. We had a supermarket home delivery last week and pomegranate was a "flash sale", so was snapped up by my partner. No idea what it tastes like but may find out this evening. 

Hopefully you will enjoy tt

2 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

White House

I've no idea how this actually tastes but just have a sense that it'd be bitter, disappointing and not really good value for money.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

White House is also sometimes called cherry vanilla, with maraschino cherries throughout.

White House was the name of a NJ Ice Cream Parlor many years ago.The lines to go in were like a first class movie.

There are multiple flavors......some I LOVE, some I like a lot LOL.....I enjoy a good Neapolitan.......it is old school but I love it. 

I also LOVE Ben and Jerry's  CHERRY GARCIA. I would say that definitely one of my favorites.

I also love a chocolate with almonds.

Oops......not sure what happened to my screen.......

I forgot, there is a brand I found at "Sprouts" called VAN WELLUEN Ice cream....they have some wonderfully funky flavors😃 One is Lemon Poppy Seed and the other  is Earl Grey (yes, just like the tea). When I want a change I buy this brand.

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just love Ben and Jerrys flavors

Have to say, I'm never that thrilled with  B & J and never buy it at home. 

I did have to try it , of course, when we visited Vermont in 2018. We had a couple or so days in Burlington. Didnt make it to their mother ship but just had to go to their shop in the city's downtown area.

Man, that was a 3 week trip to New England that was great for eating. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just love Ben and Jerrys flavors.  That being said, we have never seen that on any cruise line.

Hank

Royal had Ben and Jerrys until very recently on several ships

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 1:45 PM, Harters said:

Have to say, I'm never that thrilled with  B & J and never buy it at home. 

I did have to try it , of course, when we visited Vermont in 2018. We had a couple or so days in Burlington. Didnt make it to their mother ship but just had to go to their shop in the city's downtown area.

Man, that was a 3 week trip to New England that was great for eating. 

I have to agree.  My grandson recently gave me my first Ben & Jerry's, Cherry Garcia, and I thought it was the least appealing ice cream I've ever had.  And I do like most cherry-related ice creams.

1 hour ago, shipgeeks said:

I have to agree.  My grandson recently gave me my first Ben & Jerry's, Cherry Garcia, and I thought it was the least appealing ice cream I've ever had.  And I do like most cherry-related ice creams.

More for me😃

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:46 PM, dahirsh said:

Royal had Ben and Jerrys until very recently on several ships

Our days of cruising on RCI are behind us.  When we were much younger it was our favorite line, but this was before they got into their mega-ship era.  These days lines like Seabourn are more to our taste.  But even on the luxury lines, we have never been "wowed" by the ice cream.  At one time we thought Celebrity had some of the better onboard ice cream (they made it on the ship) but times have changed.

MSC does have some decent gelato but it is far from the really good stuff we have sampled in Italy and France.  Princess also has a gelato place in their atriums, but we found the quality somewhat lacking.

Hank

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2024 at 4:38 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I have not had a tin roof in about 60;years

except for making it once myself about 10 years ago, It's probably been 40 years for me.

1 hour ago, Seamus6 said:

except for making it once myself about 10 years ago, It's probably been 40 years for me.

The most interesting ice cream I ever had was a Kitchen Sink at a Jahn’s Ice Cream Parlor in NY.