Using Driver's License and Marriage certificate

TXGREG

My sister in law does not have a passport. On our last Celebrity cruise she used her d/l and marriage certificate instead of a passport.  When she tried to check in for our March 2024 cruise, the only option that shows up in the mobile app or on the web is a passport. 

How does she enter the document details?

Do we need to call Celebrity?

No need to do it ahead of time.  Just show the documents at the terminal assuming you are on a closed loop cruise where the passport is not a requirement.  I believe you will need an original birth certificate as well as the other two documents.  

Edited by cruisestitch

52 minutes ago, TXGREG said:

My sister in law does not have a passport. On our last Celebrity cruise she used her d/l and marriage certificate instead of a passport.  When she tried to check in for our March 2024 cruise, the only option that shows up in the mobile app or on the web is a passport. 

If this is a typical closed loop cruise she needs her official birth certificate not just a driver’s license and marriage license. I presume you meant that because there would be no reason for the marriage license unless different than the birth certificate.  What is the itinerary though? If it is not a typical closed loop a passport would be required. If your sailing is stopping at Martinique a passport is required. 

Edited by Charles4515

Your cruise stops in Martinique. Martinique requires a passport. You can't go on that cruise without a passport. I doubt they'll let you board and stay onboard.

We were actually told to carry ours off in port (no one checked).

She either gambles on a passport, or makes an appointment for same day service as soon as possible to go in two weeks before the cruise. 

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

Your cruise stops in Martinique. Martinique requires a passport. You can't go on that cruise without a passport. I doubt they'll let you board and stay onboard.

She either gambles on a passport, or makes an appointment for same day service as soon as possible to go in two weeks before the cruise. 

Some cruise lines supposedly allow passengers to board but not get off at Martinique. I was admonished on another occasion when I posted that they had to have one but I don’t know Celebrity,s  policy. 

Edited by Charles4515

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Some cruise lines might passengers to board but not get off at Martinique. I was admonished on another occasion but I don’t know Celebity’s policy. 

That thread’s one of the primary Google hits on the topic. Martinique was a fun stop. I’d hate to miss it on that itinerary. 

48 minutes ago, markeb said:

I have a passport, so not an issue for us, but I have heard that Celebrity will allow passengers without a passport  on a closed loop cruise that stops in Martinique as long as they do not get off the ship at that port. Check with Celebrity and get confirmation in writing.

Edited by edgee

27 minutes ago, edgee said:

I have a passport, so not an issue for us, but I have heard that Celebrity will allow passengers without a passport  on a closed loop cruise that stops in Martinique as long as they do not get off the ship at that port. Check with Celebrity and get confirmation in writing.

I've heard that as well, but can't find it on Celebrity's web page. Deep in their travel confirmation it may well say a passport is required for this cruise. I know they put the responsibility totally on the traveler to know the documentation requirements for the cruise, so if they choose to enforce that and you don't have a passport, your insurance isn't going to pay either.

I personally would be on the phone to either Celebrity or my TA (if I had one) on Monday morning and I'd be looking up passport requirements at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html this weekend. Current processing for an expedited passport is supposedly 2-3 weeks. And in this case I'd probably be getting a passport application started regardless of what Celebrity says, if you can find anyone who can answer the question authoritatively...

Please note that the French West Indies, which includes the islands of Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Saint Martin, and Saint Barthélemy is part of France, and per French immigration law, if you aren't part of the EU, you need a passport book, not a US passport card. Martinique stopped recognizing the passport card around January, 2020. See https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/FrenchWestIndies.html.html?wcmmode=disabled 

I would look at a expedited passport which will include:

• $35 execution fee made out to the acceptance facility
  • $130 passport fee
  • $60 expedite fee
  • $19.53 1-2 day delivery fee
  • Plus express sending of the application

When the Equinox docked in Martinique on Sunday, January 14th, the excursion ticket stated "Passport is required", and the daily newsletter stated that a passport is required. You need a passport book in your possession, although it was not asked during that day. 

Edited by Z'Loth

11 hours ago, markeb said:

BF and I did a cruise last February where we stopped in Martinique. BF did not have a passport. She was allowed to cruise with birth certificate and drivers license. She was told at embarkation that should could not get off in Martinique. They put a reminder note in her cabin the night before Martinique. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TXGREG said:

I think her memory is mistaken. She would have had to have had an original birth certificate, in addition to the drivers license and certificate.

13 hours ago, TXGREG said:

You don't actually have to enter anything.   They will take care of it at the Terminal.  

BTH - and you may need to check on this,  I believe she may need her Birth Certificate and a Drivers License.   The Marriage Certificate is only used to tie the name on the License to her Birth Certificate.  

There was a recent post on this from someone who did not bring their Birth Certificate and were denied boarding until her son sent a photo of her BC which they accepted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

There was a recent post on this from someone who did not bring their Birth Certificate and were denied boarding until her son sent a photo of her BC which they accepted.

Yes, thank you @Jim_Iain.  US born passengers who are on a closed loop cruise and arrive at the pier without proof of citizenship, are able to sail if someone at home can find and electronically send a photo of the passenger's birth certificate.

This scenario happens every cruise day at the pier.

23 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

But not if going to Martinique!…see post#11

You can still cruise, just not get off in Martinique. At least that was true last February on Apex and appears to be true still.

And what if Martinique or Celebrity decides to change their mind about allowing that?  I'd never chance it, myself.  As mentioned, your insurance wouldn't pay out if you don't have the correct documentation and get denied boarding.

Hoping the OP comes back with more questions. From their other posts (which is how I deduced Equinox and Martinique) I have the impression they DO want to leave the ship in Martinique, and that does require a passport.

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with Celebrity.  You can use the birth certificate,  drivers license and marriage certificate to prove your identity.  However Martinique requires a passport and Celebrity will not "transport" my sisters without a passport.  The end loop criteria is 1 requirement but the individual countries determine their acceptance criteria.  In short a passport IS required for this cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

one thing to keep in mind is that Celebrity has had a rather large turnover in staff.   info varies.     IMO, I would be going to Customs and Immigration for info.  We are Canadians, have the Trusted Traveller/Nexus card which means the US and Canada have checked our backgrounds, yet in many ports not accepted, including US.   we always travel with passports

3 hours ago, TXGREG said:

I spent 90 minutes on the phone with Celebrity.  You can use the birth certificate,  drivers license and marriage certificate to prove your identity.  However Martinique requires a passport and Celebrity will not "transport" my sisters without a passport.  The end loop criteria is 1 requirement but the individual countries determine their acceptance criteria.  In short a passport IS required for this cruise.

Fortunately you found out early. Still time to adjust, although not by much!

8 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Yes, thank you @Jim_Iain.  US born passengers who are on a closed loop cruise and arrive at the pier without proof of citizenship, are able to sail if someone at home can find and electronically send a photo of the passenger's birth certificate.

This scenario happens every cruise day at the pier.

I read that on a recent post.   I've also read of some who didn't have anyone at home to send a copy and were denied boarding.        While true or not I thought I read recently that one could use a "REAL ID" license without a birth certificate and also a Global Entry since you have been ultra checked out.

I just Googled and per CBP.GOV
U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, ...
But said a  EDL only allowed on Ocean or Land crossings.

Edited by Jim_Iain