Mumbling about Marina

ORV

17 minutes ago, ORV said:

Oh yeah, they recommend you be at the airport 3 hours early for an international flight. OK. 

Seattle recommends the same. Two hours for domestic.

BTW, we have one of those expensive credit cards. All those points are paying for us to fly Polaris J class from Seattle to Amsterdam and return from Stockholm. Oh, right and the lounge access.

I hope you sleep well. Sincerely.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Meanwhile I have another hour and a half before we can check in our bags. Who designed this system? Boarding time is 22:25, can’t check bags until 20:05, that gives us two hours and twenty minutes to check in, go through security, get to our boarding gate and maybe have time for a quick bathroom break before boarding for a 10 hour flight. Tell me where the advantage would be to pay over $500 annual fee for a credit card that gives you lounge access in this situation? 

Lounge access is a secondary benefit from those cards. The Chase Sapphire Reserve's $550 annual fee comes with a $300 travel credit, so the net out of pocket cost for the card is $250. The incremental "rebate" if I use this card vs my double cash card for my upcoming cruise + flight is ~$400 so any lounge access is just tasty icing on the cake.

BTW (and most importantly), thanks very much for this thread! We're going to be on the Marina in just a few weeks (!) for our first Oceania cruise, and your posts have given us a great deal of insight.

Edited by JYDCruise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ORV said:

Meanwhile I have another hour and a half before we can check in our bags. Who designed this system? Boarding time is 22:25, can’t check bags until 20:05, that gives us two hours and twenty minutes to check in, go through security, get to our boarding gate and maybe have time for a quick bathroom break before boarding for a 10 hour flight. Tell me where the advantage would be to pay over $500 annual fee for a credit card that gives you lounge access in this situation?  

Oh yeah, they recommend you be at the airport 3 hours early for an international flight. OK. 

Flying, the funnest part of a trip. I’m not grumbling.  Just tired. 

Hey ORV -  Thanks for the great thread...   

When we flew out of Santiago back in 2009 it was the same routine...  So some things do stay the same.  🙄

Joe

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

When we flew out of Santiago back in 2009 it was the same routine...  So some things do stay the same.  🙄

Joe

But they do have a whole new airport, but not a water fountain in the place. Only water available is to purchase in single use plastic bottles. Maybe we need to send all the environmentally conscious folks down here to give them some training. Should be a no brainer. 

• Haha 1

On the Marina now. I was approached during lunch in Terrace if I wanted to eat in Tuscano tonight. I asked if they could do a table for six in Red Ginger instead. They could so we did. There were unoccupied tables throughout dinner. 

tomorrow is a sea day, I’ll report back if anything happens worth noting.

if anyone has any questions, please ask, just don’t randomly capitalize whole words. I’m not deaf 😁.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snaefell3 said:

Remind us, please, where Marina is headed?

(I just looked on O's website and they've already blanked it out)

Buenos Aires by way of the Antarctic Peninsula. It’s pretty close to ORV’s itinerary in reverse. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:01 PM, JoePDX said:

Joe

So how far in advance should airlines have staff available for check-in? All the time? We've had this happen many times and it just is what it is.

10 minutes ago, forevertravel said:

Is FDR on this cruise? Is he with family? His son is the president of Oceania so I'm sure they are being treated royally.

Since FDR founded Oceania, he is treated royally on all their ships....he just handed the reigns over to his son last May during the Vista christening.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shepherd really said:

We’ll be in Puerto Montt today. Doing an Oceania tour....

Manuel Montt has a fascinating history in Chile in the 19th century. Hope someone mentions who he was:

"Manuel Francisco Antonio Julián Montt Torres (Latin American Spanish; September 4, 1809 – September 21, 1880) was a Chilean statesman and scholar. He was twice elected President of Chile between 1851 and 1861. ... On giving up the presidency in 1861, Montt became President of the Supreme Court of Chile, a position which he held up to his death in September 1880. Manuel Montt's nephew Jorge (born 1846) served as president of Chile in 1891–1896, as did Manuel Montt's son, Pedro (died 1910), between 1906 and 1910."

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forevertravel said:

Is FDR on this cruise? Is he with family? His son is the president of Oceania so I'm sure they are being treated royally.

I haven't seen him but a staff member strongly implied he was.  If he is, he is keeping a low profile.

• Thanks 1

The Marina is heading into Puerto Chacabuco this morning, an overcast day but the fjords leading into the port are lovely.  

Dinner last night was in the Grand dining room, only because we couldn't find a table at the Terrace.  Anyone who says the food quality has slipped on Oceania is experiencing something I am not.  No difference between pre-covid and post covid that I can discern. 

image.png.592000e03ecc52461bb88aa1b591a481.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

19 hours ago, shepherd really said:

I haven't seen him but a staff member strongly implied he was.  If he is, he is keeping a low profile.

I did see him Thursday night in Martini's with another couple. He was in the alcove way in the back. Only noticed because his butler was hovering around. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2024 at 5:03 PM, clo said:

Seattle recommends the same. Two hours for domestic.

BTW, we have one of those expensive credit cards. All those points are paying for us to fly Polaris J class from Seattle to Amsterdam and return from Stockholm. Oh, right and the lounge access.

I hope you sleep well. Sincerely.

Plus on Amex Platinum, $200 annual airline credit, OBC on Oceania and other lines. Last year on Silversea we got a $300 OBC, and a bottle of DomPerignon , by using the card to book. 

To us it’s worth it, and we always get enough perks for it to pay for itself, and more. It may not be for everyone, but it works for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

Plus on Amex Platinum, $200 annual airline credit, OBC on Oceania and other lines. Last year on Silversea we got a $300 OBC, and a bottle of DomPerignon , by using the card to book. 

To us it’s worth it, and we always get enough perks for it to pay for itself, and more. It may not be for everyone, but it works for us.

Yes, those are all nice perks. I was actually referring to the top cards from the airlines that get you in their specific lounges. Access to the lounges is their top marketing point. The cards you and JYDcruise  mention have many other options and perks, with lounge access being one of them. Either way in the scenario I mentioned no one has access to a lounge with that time frame unless there are lounges pre check in at the Santiago airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 3:44 PM, ORV said:

For those that don’t like to hear about things they don’t like better not read this, but it appears updates on what’s happening around the ship seem to be a 3 or 4 time a day occurrence. This had happened my last 3 or 4 cruises. 

Apparently there are going to be new entertainers on the upcoming cruise as at least half of them are at the airport. There is a new Cd taking over. It’s a young lady from the UK, SR will have to fill you in on names. Peter will be onboard through Ushuaia then go home from there. 

Flying, the funnest part of a trip. I’m not grumbling.  Just tired. 

Not that anyone flying out of Santiago in the near future will read this thread, but….We were on an AA flight that left at midnight. Got to the airport at 7 and were able to check in right away, including bag drop. We sailed through security and didn’t have to remove anything from our carry ons, including liquids. I thought suh-weeet! Great news so far. The AA website for lounge access said One World Sapphire and Emerald could use either of two Latam lounges, even though I questioned that twice directly with AA because the wording was confusing and as recently as the day before we flew. AA contact assured me we did have access. Strutted right up to the counter with another couple that we were pretty sure we could include as guests. Welp, AA hasn’t had lounge access with Latam for THREE years. Slightly embarrassing. Very nice Latam guy pointed us to the Pacific Princess lounge that does admit AA. Off we trotted (it’s a big airport). We were able to enter that lounge. To say it was minimalist is being generous. It was also full to the gills, literally no place to sit, and worst of all, no alcohol since they hadn’t gotten their license. And it had tons of families with young children. We left. Fortunately, as we were waiting for the elevator, we noticed the lounge next door took Priority Pass, and the couple with us were members. It was much nicer and not crowded while we were there. When it was time to board, I stopped and bought a bottle of water. When boarding was called, I noticed about a dozen terminal employees were lined up with tables in the jet bridge where they searched carryons and promptly confiscated my unopened water bottle because “the U.S. doesn’t allow liquids over 3 ounces.”  *****?? I asked why do they even sell water after security then?? But, I rant. Sorry. The only other semi-interesting thing was all electronics had to be completely powered down for taxi and takeoff. That was a first for us. 

46 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Not that anyone flying out of Santiago in the near future will read this thread, but….We were on an AA flight that left at midnight. Got to the airport at 7 and were able to check in right away, including bag drop. We sailed through security and didn’t have to remove anything from our carry ons, including liquids. I thought suh-weeet! Great news so far. The AA website for lounge access said One World Sapphire and Emerald could use either of two Latam lounges, even though I questioned that twice directly with AA because the wording was confusing and as recently as the day before we flew. AA contact assured me we did have access. Strutted right up to the counter with another couple that we were pretty sure we could include as guests. Welp, AA hasn’t had lounge access with Latam for THREE years. Slightly embarrassing. Very nice Latam guy pointed us to the Pacific Princess lounge that does admit AA. Off we trotted (it’s a big airport). We were able to enter that lounge. To say it was minimalist is being generous. It was also full to the gills, literally no place to sit, and worst of all, no alcohol since they hadn’t gotten their license. And it had tons of families with young children. We left. Fortunately, as we were waiting for the elevator, we noticed the lounge next door took Priority Pass, and the couple with us were members. It was much nicer and not crowded while we were there. When it was time to board, I stopped and bought a bottle of water. When boarding was called, I noticed about a dozen terminal employees were lined up with tables in the jet bridge where they searched carryons and promptly confiscated my unopened water bottle because “the U.S. doesn’t allow liquids over 3 ounces.”  *****?? I asked why do they even sell water after security then?? But, I rant. Sorry. The only other semi-interesting thing was all electronics had to be completely powered down for taxi and takeoff. That was a first for us. 

Interesting, it must be a Delta thing that we couldn't check in until 8:05 for an 10;30 boarding. I had Priority Pass with my Hilton card but they have now discontinued that as a perk and raised the price. For the most part I've liked their lounges, especially that one that had a serve yourself bar.  

We also had that secondary search, just wondering if it was really necessary. We didn't have to power down any electronics for taxi and takeoff. Must be an AA thing. 

11 minutes ago, ORV said:

Interesting, it must be a Delta thing that we couldn't check in until 8:05 for an 10;30 boarding. I had Priority Pass with my Hilton card but they have now discontinued that as a perk and raised the price. For the most part I've liked their lounges, especially that one that had a serve yourself bar.  

We also had that secondary search, just wondering if it was really necessary. We didn't have to power down any electronics for taxi and takeoff. Must be an AA thing. 

Hmmmmm

1 hour ago, SophieM said:

Greetings

Latam is part of the Delta SkyTeam alliance so I am surprised an AA rep thought you would have access to their lounge. Just flew Latam back from Santiago 2 weeks ago and we had a Delta ticket (it was a code share flight). My DW was very upset when they took her just purchased water at the jetway. She ranted about how they sell water behind the security checkpoints but still confiscate it.

Good Sailing

Tom

7 minutes ago, tunaman2011 said:

Greetings

Latam is part of the Delta SkyTeam alliance so I am surprised an AA rep thought you would have access to their lounge. Just flew Latam back from Santiago 2 weeks ago and we had a Delta ticket (it was a code share flight). My DW was very upset when they took her just purchased water at the jetway. She ranted about how they sell water behind the security checkpoints but still confiscate it.

Good Sailing

Tom

Hi, Tom. As I mentioned, the One World lounge access website is a bit confusing. Apparently, Qantas, BA, and Iberia have continued their agreements with Latam. The confusion stemmed from the website appearing to show access for Sapphire and Emerald level folks, regardless of the OW airline they were flying. That’s where I got the bad info from AA. Oh, well. I ranted, too, on the water, even to the poor messengers. My bad, there. I also can’t think of any countries we’ve traveled to or from who allow more than 3 ounces upon check in and security. So strange, then, that they waited until to jet bridge to check for bigger liquids.