Decoy back?

39august

4 hours ago, jelayne said:

We are on the Ascent and trying some of the new premium package wines.  So far the Mondavi Pinot Noir is 👎 👎 neither of us liked it.

The Mouton Cadet Cabernet Blend was also 👎👎.

Sauvignon Blanc, Emmolo DH gave a 👎 and is back to Villa Maria.

Last night we had the Primitivo, Layer Cake that was 👍 👍,  still not my favorite but okay. 
We will try others over the next few days.

I enjoyed the Primitivo I was served in Luminae on Millennium last year.  

6 hours ago, jelayne said:

We will try others over the next few days.

We have been fortunate enough to get some very nice wines on this cruise. I tried to insert pictures,but they kept posting upside down. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Texed said:

We have been fortunate enough to get some very nice wines on this cruise. I tried to insert pictures,but they kept posting upside down. 

I had that happen to me.  I found that if I edited the pictures and rotated them so that they looked normal on my device and then posted them, they came out okay.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I had that happen to me.  I found that if I edited the pictures and rotated them so that they looked normal on my device and then posted them, they came out okay.  

They were perfect in my photo gallery. But, I will work on it. 😊

1 minute ago, markeb said:

How was the Carmenere? James Suckling gave it 93 points.

Have not drank the Carmenere yet. But, the Yangarra was excellent. 

1 hour ago, Sandy1975 said:

Did you purchase these on the ship or brought it with you?

Neither.  They were gifts from the butler and Captain’s Club. They have been very nice to us. 

Edited by Texed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Texed said:

Neither.  They were gifts from the butler and Captain’s Club. They have been very nice to us. 

As they should be.  
We have 2 bottles of the Haslingers, may drink 1 while packing.  Our sommelier has been bringing us some interesting picks, not on the menu and so far no upcharge.

For those who think 🖐️ ing out $ is the way to go, we have not given cash to anyone before they did something and we have had excellent service, table of our choice and some very nice wines and off menu drinks.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, markeb said:

How was the Carmenere? James Suckling gave it 93 points.

I tried it last evening. It is not the type wine I would normally enjoy. 

It has a lot of spicy, peppery taste. I usually like the wines that have a black cherry or plumb enhanced.  I am definitely not a wine expert. 

But, I did enjoy the Carmenere. I might have some more later today. 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Texed said:

I tried it last evening. It is not the type wine I would normally enjoy. 

It has a lot of spicy, peppery taste. I usually like the wines that have a black cherry or plumb enhanced.  I am definitely not a wine expert. 

But, I did enjoy the Carmenere. I might have some more later today. 😁

That sounds like a Carmenere. Historically it was used much like Petite Verdot in Bordeaux as the 1% or so portion of the blend. Then you get into a whole bunch of wine history and probably some exaggeration. It largely disappears from France, goes to Chile and is thought to be Merlot (for a long time), and ultimately becomes one of the primary grapes of Chile. 

That would be one of the "interesting other reds" that I've historically found instead of the California cabernets they've always had. A good Carmenere would be nice on my next cruise...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, markeb said:

That sounds like a Carmenere. Historically it was used much like Petite Verdot in Bordeaux as the 1% or so portion of the blend. 

Thank you very much for your input. 😊

15 hours ago, Texed said:

Thanks for your comments on these wines, we will look for them Texed

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 3:17 PM, DaKahuna said:

I enjoyed the Primitivo I was served in Luminae on Millennium last year.  

I could be wrong but don't think the Meiomi or Mondavi are true pinot noirs at least I was told that by my local wine consultant.

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I could be wrong but don't think the Meiomi or Mondavi are true pinot noirs at least I was told that by my local wine consultant.

They're both Pinot Noir. They're just "California" and not any specific AVA. So the fruit can be sourced anywhere in California. The requirement is 75% of the varietal to call it that varietal. They're certainly not among the better Pinot Noirs!

23 minutes ago, markeb said:

They're both Pinot Noir. They're just "California" and not any specific AVA. So the fruit can be sourced anywhere in California. The requirement is 75% of the varietal to call it that varietal. They're certainly not among the better Pinot Noirs!

I just bought the Goldeneye pinot noir today. Paid more than I normally would for a pinot but wanted to try it out.  Hope its worth it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texed said:

Oh my, another bottle of wine showed up in our room. 😳

In all our Celebrity cruises we have only received one bottle of low end wine in our cabin.  Could you share your secret sauce for free wine with us? 🍷🍷🍷

2 minutes ago, 81Zoomie said:

In all our Celebrity cruises we have only received one bottle of low end wine in our cabin.  Could you share your secret sauce for free wine with us? 🍷🍷🍷

That has been the norm. We have never been this fortunate. We will probably never be this fortunate again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I do not know enough to say one way or the other.  I generally go by how it taste to me and by whether I have a second glass of it or would order it again.  

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I just bought the Goldeneye pinot noir today. Paid more than I normally would for a pinot but wanted to try it out.  Hope its worth it. 

Assuming that’s the Anderson Valley? IMHO, it’s very good. Fairly dry, a little fruit but not fruit forward. A very nice representation of Sonoma County. I don’t know what you normally drink. If it’s Meomi, for instance, Goldeneye is going to be very different.