Tipping on Journey

Ithikan

With apologies to Host JazzBeau (who closed the tipping topic last February) I am here to note that tipping at voyage end was alive and well on  Journey's Melbourne-Auckland cruise, which ended on Sunday.

By Saturday afternoon the envelopes were flying - passengers stopping the servers in Windows for a word and an unsubtle tucking of envelope into pockets.  The Living Room also saw a lot of action, numerous guests arrived with fists full of white envelopes like happily perched, New Zealand Fan Tails, distributing to favorite servers and bartenders.  

I also noted other passengers with envelopes, like myself, at Guest Relations with contributions for the Crew Fund.

Let each of us do what feels right and good.  This post is simply an observation of another change in the Azamara culture:  overt tipping is happening onboard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ithikan said:

Betsey, no.  From the stationery stash in Guest Folder, I'm guessing - that's where I pulled mine.

I was on this cruise and requested additional envelopes from Guest Services along with more notepaper so we could include a personal note of thanks to the great crew we had encountered regulalry and  wished to tip. 

Rod

If you think that certain crew members have been outstanding, write about them in the survey you receive. Try to be a specific as you can.

These customer comments make a big difference in crew promotions. I'm told that positive comments are read at crew meetings. 

So if someone has been outstanding, reward them with your praise. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, tgg said:

If you think that certain crew members have been outstanding, write about them in the survey you receive. Try to be a specific as you can.

These customer comments make a big difference in crew promotions. I'm told that positive comments are read at crew meetings. 

So if someone has been outstanding, reward them with your praise. 

Absolutely. We mentioned how good our room steward was in the mid-Cruise feedback and he was delighted and told us so.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Increased tipping has become a way of life since Covid.  Gratuities are included in your fare.  Still prefer the crew fund for recognizing the crew.  Thanks entire crew, not just the visible ones.

Absolutely- some crew are very good at looking like they are doing things for you when what is actually happening is due to a hard working assistant or behind the scenes operator 

• Like 6

The absolute best thing that you can do is mention a crew member on the mid and end of cruise survey.  Those positive remarks are a big part of them receiving promotions...which is a huge benefit to the crew member in the long run.  We always contribute to the crew fund as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KevintheIrishDJ said:

No. We isolate in the MDR, so we usually get the same table. 

Interesting approach to isolation 😀.

Whilst recognising the server, there are a number of unseen backroom people who have contributed to what the server did. I’m not saying don’t recognise the server but an alternative approach is to name them in the mid and end cruise survey plus if you really want a small token gesture and give the majority of your tip budget to the Crew Fund. On a “no added gratuities” line that approach may be fairer all round. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, uktog said:

Interesting approach to isolation 😀.

Whilst recognising the server, there are a number of unseen backroom people who have contributed to what the server did. I’m not saying don’t recognise the server but an alternative approach is to name them in the mid and end cruise survey plus if you really want a small token gesture and give the majority of your tip budget to the Crew Fund. On a “no added gratuities” line that approach may be fairer all round. 

On lines that don't include the gratuity, a portion goes to the "unseen backroom people". In over 50 years of cruising, I have come across several issues of how these general funds are distributed.

6 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

On lines that don't include the gratuity, a portion goes to the "unseen backroom people". In over 50 years of cruising, I have come across several issues of how these general funds are distributed.

I am not aware of any issues relating to the distribution on Azamara. The funds are controlled by a crew committee with officer and HR support and we hear of so many fantastic fully funded excursions and social events paid from the fund. That and the entertainment kit etc the crew have in their mess

I would not want people reading your post to worry about the  Azamara fund and hold back from contributing 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ithikan said:

....the envelopes were flying - passengers stopping the servers in Windows for a word and an unsubtle tucking of envelope into pockets.  The Living Room also saw a lot of action, numerous guests arrived with fists full of white envelopes....

Whilst not entirely disputing that end of cruise tipping took place to some extent, the tale appears to be somewhat embellished given some of the language used e.g. 'flying'; 'fists full'.

29 minutes ago, KevintheIrishDJ said:

If gratuities are NOT included, a portion of what goes to the unseen backroom people?  And what are these "several issues?"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

If gratuities are NOT included, a portion of what goes to the unseen backroom people?  And what are these "several issues?"

The portion is up to the line. I have seen supposed contributions to the Seaman's home, card contests, etc.

45 minutes ago, uktog said:

I am not aware of any issues relating to the distribution on Azamara. The funds are controlled by a crew committee with officer and HR support and we hear of so many fantastic fully funded excursions and social events paid from the fund. That and the entertainment kit etc the crew have in their mess

I would not want people reading your post to worry about the  Azamara fund and hold back from contributing 

I'm not telling others what to do.