Pool Towel Bogus Charge

5 hours ago, cruisinconniebean said:

I wonder how many get these charges and don't dispute it--must be a pretty penny they are making on it.

1.  How many people say, "It's only $25"?

2.  How many people don't even notice? 

3.  How many people aren't sure how to problem-solve and deal with the problem?  

4 hours ago, HappyTexan44 said:

Probably the real reason Royal goes through the bother of checking out towels.   

I don't believe everything they say, but I really do believe this:  They're trying to prevent people from taking towels ashore and abandoning them.  

32 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

1.  How many people say, "It's only $25"?

2.  How many people don't even notice? 

3.  How many people aren't sure how to problem-solve and deal with the problem?  

I don't believe everything they say, but I really do believe this:  They're trying to prevent people from taking towels ashore and abandoning them.  

I tend to believe them also. We were on one cruise (don't remember which ship) when they had suspended having to check out the towels. At the end of every day towels were all over the Solarium and pool deck. It was pretty disgusting. I'm glad they made people start checking them out again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

I go around, pickup and turn in towels off "delayed returnees". I've been making around $ 200 extra each cruise. 🙂

I'm curious, if your joking.

I'm unsure weather I think, this is genius, ballsy or taking advantage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cruzin-K said:

I was finally able to reach someone and she said the $50 would be credited to my credit card in 7 to 10 days.  I will be checking it 👀 😁

And if I have to go through this trouble , I will be ppaying foreign currency exchanges/credit card rates of exchange both ways and lose out in the end !

Cheers

Another way to address this issue (which I have been doing since shortly before Covid) is set up as a cash account upon boarding, late the last evening or early the last morning go to GS (there is no line then) look at your invoice, if it's good pay it off with my AMEX.  This way it is impossible for them to add any charges post cruise.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Another way to address this issue (which I have been doing since shortly before Covid) is set up as a cash account upon boarding, late the last evening or early the last morning go to GS (there is no line then) look at your invoice, if it's good pay it off with my AMEX.  This way it is impossible for them to add any charges post cruise.

I've noticed though, that they have my CC saved that I used to pay for the cruise booked through a TA.  I noticed it was saved when I did my online check-in.   Then I let them use that same CC as the saved CC in order to complete check-in.   I have plans on changing to a cash account on board, but since they have my CC saved in their system couldn't they just apply charges to that?  

2 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I've noticed though, that they have my CC saved that I used to pay for the cruise booked through a TA.  I noticed it was saved when I did my online check-in.   Then I let them use that same CC as the saved CC in order to complete check-in.   I have plans on changing to a cash account on board, but since they have my CC saved in their system couldn't they just apply charges to that?  

Not without your authorization 

When you check in, tell them to remove the credit card they have on file; there is no requirement to have a card on file. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

2 minutes ago, HappyTexan44 said:

I was going to use a cash account on my upcoming cruise and pay it off the last morning. However, when I did the checkin for the cruise it said unless I set up a credit card account I would have to complete checkin at the pier. I wanted to just get it finished.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

I was going to use a cash account on my upcoming cruise and pay it off the last morning. However, when I did the checkin for the cruise it said unless I set up a credit card account I would have to complete checkin at the pier. I wanted to just get it finished.

Yes, I put in a card for check in (unfortunately online check in requires it); it’s a simple process to have the card removed on arrival, and in my opinion, worth the extra step. 

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Yes, I put in a card for check in (unfortunately online check in requires it); it’s a simple process to have the card removed on arrival, and in my opinion, worth the extra step. 

Do you have to go to Guest Services or can it be done in the terminal with the person who does that last part of the checkin with you?

• Like 1

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

Do you have to go to Guest Services or can it be done in the terminal with the person who does that last part of the checkin with you?

I do it with the individual in the terminal that checks you in on the I-Pad. 
Side note; we have stopped uploading our photos; that seems to create a window in the process while they take the picture to bring up the credit card. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Alternately, you could use a VISA gift card.  Once the card is empty, they could not take more from it.  Personally, I don't think this problem is widespread enough to jump through hoops to avoid it. 

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Not without your authorization 

I tend to agree but have two thoughts:

- When you give your credit card during check-in, you check a box giving them. permission to charge this card for your onboard purchases -- but once the cruise is over, that authorization is finished.  They can't charge you something a week later.  However, if you fail to return a towel during your cruise, they'll argue it happened during the allotted time /not after the cruise.  

- I literally just paid off a cruise, and I had to check a box at the bottom of the screen giving them permission to access my credit card.  

16 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I tend to believe them also. We were on one cruise (don't remember which ship) when they had suspended having to check out the towels. At the end of every day towels were all over the Solarium and pool deck. It was pretty disgusting. I'm glad they made people start checking them out again.

When we sailed with NCL a while back they don't check towels in and out (or they didn't then at least). We went on a beach excursion booked through the cruise line, so lots of people from the ship on the same beach. It started to rain so everyone packed up, we were some of the last people to get on the bus to go.

Looked back and there was so many NCL beach towels just abandoned on the beach, soaked in the rain. If people can't behave like decent humans then I don't blame the cruise line checking towels in and out.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Alternately, you could use a VISA gift card.  Once the card is empty, they could not take more from it.  Personally, I don't think this problem is widespread enough to jump through hoops to avoid it. 

I tend to agree but have two thoughts:

- When you give your credit card during check-in, you check a box giving them. permission to charge this card for your onboard purchases -- but once the cruise is over, that authorization is finished.  They can't charge you something a week later.  However, if you fail to return a towel during your cruise, they'll argue it happened during the allotted time /not after the cruise.  

- I literally just paid off a cruise, and I had to check a box at the bottom of the screen giving them permission to access my credit card.  

I don’t think you can use a VISA gift card for online account. 

My TA had my AMEX on file and makes all payments to the cruise line; I have never been asked to check a box giving the cruise-line permission to access my card at that time. 

I agree, it’s not a huge problem; but I don’t feel I am jumping through hoops. With very little effort I avoid any errant charges, and the seemingly endless credit holds and hold cancellations. 

I just prefer it this way, clean, clear, concise charges; like all my other things expenses in my life. 

We only had a problem when both of us checked out towels (two seapass cards) and checked them all back in at the end of the cruise with one card.  Now we check all towels out for the cruise at the start and back in at the end with a single card.  In between we just exchange towels without scanning our cards as they get soggy or are used onshore.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 10:40 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

This makes absolutely no sense. How is a scammer going to benefit by adding a charge to your Royal final folio statement? 

hint: they aren’t, they can’t, they won’t. 

I believe it was a you tube from Don's Family Vacstions. They could have you contact via phone to question the charge get your info claiming to reverse the charges, meanwhile slamming you charge card. As long as the number you are calling is a true business #, should be no problem. Could also you tube Scammer Payback to see how it's done.

16 hours ago, LeeW said:

We only had a problem when both of us checked out towels (two seapass cards) and checked them all back in at the end of the cruise with one card.  Now we check all towels out for the cruise at the start and back in at the end with a single card.  In between we just exchange towels without scanning our cards as they get soggy or are used onshore.

We do this and have still gotten charged.  I hate the towels system. I understand people can’t be responsible though, leaving them on a beach is wrong.   But at least if they make you do it, they need to get it right!  I doubt anyone wants to take them home as they are thin and stained.

We’ve taken late excursions and had to race to dinner and there sit our wet towels, usually until the next day when we have time to make the trip to the pool deck. It was so much nicer when the room steward took care of it. If the stewards would have a stack to at least exchange them when they find wet ones in your room that would make me happier.

• Like 2

We went to an AI years ago.  They gave everyone a physical card at check in.  Want a towel?  Turn in your card, get a towel.  Exchange as often as you want.  Want your card back?  Turn in a towel.  When you checked out, hand the cards back in.  Assuming you have the same number of cards that were originally handed to you, no charge.  

Logical, right?  Somehow I ended up with four EXTRA cards when we checked out.  I still have no idea how I did it.  

I understand why Royal does it.  I don't think the scanning of seapass cards works well though, from a technical standpoint.  It should.  I just don't think it does. 

2 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We went to an AI years ago.  They gave everyone a physical card at check in.  Want a towel?  Turn in your card, get a towel.  Exchange as often as you want.  Want your card back?  Turn in a towel.  When you checked out, hand the cards back in.  Assuming you have the same number of cards that were originally handed to you, no charge.  

Logical, right?  Somehow I ended up with four EXTRA cards when we checked out.  I still have no idea how I did it.  

I understand why Royal does it.  I don't think the scanning of seapass cards works well though, from a technical standpoint.  It should.  I just don't think it does. 

Add to that the number of times when they decide to suddenly start writing everyones room number instead of scanning . That's when I lose all faith that they are doing an accurate job .

Who's actually gonna sit there at the end of the day/week and visually cross match towels out VS towels in on a handwritten paper notebook ?

Cheers

• Like 1