Oceania Vista Waves Grill - ice cream hours

Ropeadope

Ok minor issue for me , but NOT my wife who loves ice cream!  

What are the Ice cream hours on Vista Waves? 

On Marina it was cut off at 4 PM.  Wondering if Vista is any different

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Ropeadope said:

Ok minor issue for me , but NOT my wife who loves ice cream!  

What are the Ice cream hours on Vista Waves? 

On Marina it was cut off at 4 PM.  Wondering if Vista is any different

Thanks!

I believe that is correct but then ice cream is available in Terrace during evening hours

13 minutes ago, basor said:

I believe that is correct but then ice cream is available in Terrace during evening hours

Thank you.  Yes it is available in the Terrace Cafe but was wondering specifically about Waves as they offer hand-dipped ice cream.

7 minutes ago, Ropeadope said:

Thank you.  Yes it is available in the Terrace Cafe but was wondering specifically about Waves as they offer hand-dipped ice cream.

The ice cream area outside does close down with Waves and is not open in the evening when Waves changes into the pizzeria.  The ice cream in Terrace is hand dipped too - often the same flavors as in Waves.  I don't think I have seen ice cream anywhere on O that isn't hand dipped.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, basor said:

hand dipped

I'm putting that phrase down as today's "you learn something every day". I had to Google to find what it meant. Never heard it before and I presume it's an American expression we don't use here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harters said:

I'm putting that phrase down as today's "you learn something every day". I had to Google to find what it meant. Never heard it before and I presume it's an American expression we don't use here. 

It refers to ice cream that is not “soft serve”that automatically comes out of a machine from a mixture. Do you have that phrase where you’re from?

Im pretty sure there is no soft serve 🍦 on Oceania. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3

Yes. I suppose we have "ice cream" and "soft serve ice cream". Our mobile ice cream vans (which you'll find at, say, events or static locations like parks or touring residential areas) are always soft serve. 

Granelli  is one of the surviving Italian immigrant ice cream families in the area still operating with vans

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/granellis-icecream-van-and-it-all-started-with-edie-granellis-milk-bar-in-chestergate--522347256757897637/

3 hours ago, ORV said:

It refers to ice cream that is not “soft serve”that automatically comes out of a machine from a mixture. Do you have that phrase where you’re from?

Im pretty sure there is no soft serve 🍦 on Oceania. 

And here I thought that "hand dipped" means like Dairy Queen 🙂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ropeadope said:

Waves and Terrace ice cream are served identically. Same flavors usually. although sometimes, Waves has one or two more options.

12 minutes ago, edgee said:

Waves and Terrace ice cream are served identically. Same flavors usually. although sometimes, Waves has one or two more options.

I seem to recall that Waves makes milk shakes too?

3 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I seem to recall that Waves makes milk shakes too?

True. Possible to drink well over half the calories contained in a Terrace Cafe lunch!

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, clo said:

J thought the same thing! "Hand scooped" is the usual term in our neck of the woods (or at least in our house). 

6 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

J thought the same thing! "Hand scooped" is the usual term in our neck of the woods (or at least in our house). 

I'm formerly NorCal.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Harters said:

LOL -- My husband is a Scotland there are are so many words in both that pop up all the time.  

Hand Dipped is somewhat a regional description and is often referred to in other regions as Hand Scooped (because one uses scoop).

I will never forget the look on Iain's face when a friend asked him to make some Peanut and Jelly Sandwiches.     With a confused look, he replied -  How do you make one?   

Our British friends here will understand -  in Scotland Jelly is what we Americans call Jello 

You can imagine what he envisioned.

19 hours ago, clo said:

I know what you have in mind.    A soft Ice creamed dipped in hot chocolate making a hard cover.   Yum... I would call that dipped. 

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I know what you have in mind.    A soft Ice creamed dipped in hot chocolate making a hard cover.   Yum... I would call that dipped. 

image.thumb.png.8e315f0826f536da664272b2c6a97cd7.png

26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Our British friends here will understand

Jim - funnily enough, it was only the other week that the "jelly" issue cropped up on a food forum I play on. 

And, as we're talking ice cream, perhaps you could ask Iain if, in his part of the UK, it was common to ask for a "99"? That's a soft serve ice cream, in a cone, with a Cadbury's chocolate flake stuck into it. 

John

20 minutes ago, Harters said:

Jim - funnily enough, it was only the other week that the "jelly" issue cropped up on a food forum I play on. 

And, as we're talking ice cream, perhaps you could ask Iain if, in his part of the UK, it was common to ask for a "99"? That's a soft serve ice cream, in a cone, with a Cadbury's chocolate flake stuck into it. 

John

Certainly was in my part of the world! But then I’m also in the North West.

I remember it well!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Next time you indulge, could you see it they have any lactose free options?  I know they had a reduced sugar one in January. 

The numerous ice cream selections include a dairy-free option every day. They always offer a sorbet or a dary-free (vegan) as part of the rotating selections. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Harters said:

John

John -

I asked him but of course screwed up your description.... I said do you ask for a 99 to refer to a soft serve with a chocolate coating.  

He replied NO.... a 99 is Soft Serve with a Cadbury Chocolate Flake stuck in it.    Showing his age he said,  "when I was a kid they didn't have Soft Serve -  They had a scoop of Italian Ice Cream with a Cadbury Flake stuck in it.   Ayrshire they had a large Italian Community and many of the Ice Cream shops were owned by Italian's.

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ayrshire they had a large Italian Community and many of the Ice Cream shops were owned by Italian's.

Thanks for asking - I thought it was probably a name used across the country. 

I live near Manchester and there was also a pattern of Italian immigration in the 19th century. They came to live in a particular area of the city to work in the iron foundries (my family also lived in the area and worked in the foundries). But several families started up ice cream businesses and you still see their vans travelling round - Granelli, Marco Rea, Sivori, etc.  I'm sure we didnt know it as "soft serve" when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s but I can't recall what we did call it. Certainly, a bit later it became generically known as "Mr Whippy", after a very successful company.