Captain Kate explains why the Beyond skipped Antigua

kk20

We have had great updates from various captains when we have had weather adversely affecting our sailing across the Atlantic on recent voyages. .   Always appreciate detailed info and maps explaining the situation and the deviations.  

• Like 1

I'm not a tik tokker, so I'm amazed at the graphics and editing included in this video turned in only a few hours time.  This is clearly a full ad lib by Kate.  She's very talented as an on-camera spokesperson, as well as a mariner.  

Edited by marieps
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2024 at 10:46 AM, lv2cruisgrl said:

Thanks for sharing, very interesting! 

That was very professional, and thank you so much for that. We cruise on Beyond 1 Apr - 12 Apr 2024. Hope we will meet you.

Captain Kate should explain why The Beyond has flaws in its design/construction that leads to constant attention from the maintenance staff.  Every cruise since day 1 has had staterooms in need of repair to eliminate the noise that keeps passengers up at night.  

On 1/26/2024 at 3:00 PM, Tyler414 said:

To windy. 

Yes, but to be clearer, the strong cross winds meant the ship in order to keep going straight, would have to be be turned on an angle.  Hence it would coming in somewhat sideways and could very well ground out on one end in the narrow channel.

It is a shame that there are so many lounge chair sailors, cocktail in hand, on every cruise that feel that  they are qualified to second guess a Captain's decision and force the Captain to spend time justifying the decision to avoid the demands for compensation and fomenting others to be disgruntled. 

We had a similar situation on a cruise several years ago where a decision was made after leaving Cartagena to skip Costa Rica and head directly back to Florida because of weather conditions between Cartagena and Florida.

Of course, there was a loudmouth on board who was proclaiming that there was no reason to alter course and offered myriad solutions that the Captain should do such as alternate ports and offering compensation.

He was gathering a small following of fellow passengers that were becoming increasing vocal.

The Captain instead announce a special presentation in the theater where questions would be taken.

Big mouth was front and center with his followers proclaiming he would get answers and compensation.

The Captain came on the stage and then did a twenty minute power point presentation that covered the geographical locations of the ports (Costa Rica is isolated from many other ports of call), the weather patterns in the Southern Caribbean (two low fronts whose winds and waves would make for a rough sail), possible routes back to Florida and the pros and cons of each.

At the end, when he called for questions with a crew member standing at the ready with a microphone by loudmouth and followers, there wasn't a single question from the audience.

\

I wish our HOA was this transparent!  

I’ve been following Captain Kate’s daily reports since she re-embarked the Beyond. She is so informative and fun to watch. 

We were on this cruise and appreciated her updates and her professionalism.  The wind was blowing at 45 knots that morning and the channel into St. Johns Antigua is very narrow.  Better to have an unplanned day at sea than a ship stuck on the bottom because someone decided to take the risk.  

Earlier in the week we ran into her while walking around and she stopped to answer some questions for us.  My wife wanted to know how she and her seafaring husband managed rasing kids being a way so much, or do you have kids?  The reply, "Not that I know of...." I asked how a lady from Las Vegas which is in the middle of the desert became a cruise ship captain.  Turns out she grew up in California and fell in love with cruise ships when her parents took her on a cruise when she was 12....She is a real asset to Celebrity.

• Like 1