OzKiwiJJ Goes Posh!

36 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Wow! Lucky you! 

Yes, the PG staterooms are long and thin but spacious enough, and with excellent storage - although the identical Princess ones have even more storage space as the two TVs are wall mounted instead of being placed in a unit, so that space in the unit is also available for storing stuff on Princess. The thing I particularly like is the open closet/dressing area, with lots of hanging space on one side, the bathroom door on the other side and a large cupboard with shelves and the safe at the end. This layout is also in most Princess Grand and Royal class cabins. I like this open setup as sometimes closets with doors aren't quite deep enough and clothes can get caught in the doors, or have to be a little bit squashed in.

That QG bathroom layout sounds very similar to the Coral Princess suite bathrooms. A very sensible layout. Did the QG bathroom have two entrances? 

The nicest cabin we've ever had so far was on Regent Seven Seas Explorer. Essentially a mini-suite but wider than the Princess/QE ones. The bed faced out to the windows and there was a curtain between it and the sitting area. It also had a huge walking closet/dressing area with plenty of hanging space, plus shelves and drawers near the entrance. The bathroom was wonderful with a separate bath and shower and more than enough shelf space and drawers. I like bathrooms with drawers and even cupboards rather than just tiny shelves. Much tidier!

Yes, two entrances to the bathroom, one from foyer area and one from dressing room. A separates the shower and bath from the basin/toilet area.

IMG_4983.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

I was thinking the same thing! I don't believe he's over 80!! Where's he hiding the fountain of youth?!🙂 Must be all that cruising!

Yes, Irene @Cbtours says how old her husband Frank is, then posts pictures of a fit looking handsome young dude - what's going on there, hehehe 😉 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

I was thinking the same thing! I don't believe he's over 80!! Where's he hiding the fountain of youth?!🙂 Must be all that cruising!

Or maybe his wife looks after him 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Or he’s just a natural born spunk 🥰

Edited by Cbtours
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cbtours said:

It’s not his birthday til March 25. Then he’ll be 85. It’s just he was holding the first of his 8 cakes that happened 5 years ago. I just added a very recent photo to show how much he’s aged in five years 😁😁😁

As in hardly at all! 

Of course it must be you who is keeping him young! 😊

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Yes, two entrances to the bathroom, one from foyer area and one from dressing room. A separates the shower and bath from the basin/toilet area.

IMG_4983.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg

Yep that's the same as the Coral Princess ones but the Coral suites don't have a dressing room, just extra space in the bedroom section. 

I tried the spa bath on Coral. It was lovely but a bit tricky to get in and out with my bad knees. Luckily it was a calm day so the bath water didn't slosh around much. We did have trouble with the shower one day in rough seas. It wasn't draining quickly enough so sloshed against the door which, in turn, leaked.

• Like 2

That can happen at sea.  I remember a similar story when we were in The Haven on NCL.  Ankle deep in water, not a pleasant sensation.  The dressing room is not separated from the bedroom by a barrier of any description, just a separate area, with a long return built-in dressing table with drawers under on both sides, with lights and mirror working really well.  Backing on that area is the open hanging space, closed built-in closet containing safe, shelving, drawers and more hanging space.  There was also a bank of good, deep drawers beside the open hanging space.  It all really worked.

3 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I agree with all your comments about QE, with the exception of those relating to Grills staterooms.  I haven't been in PG suites, but I have noted from the brochures that they are rather and long and narrow.  Conversely, the QG penthouse we were fortunate to occupy was superbly laid out.  Not quite as spacious as similar level on some other lines, but certainly more than adequate.  The key to the QG3 comfort, we found, was the exceptional layout.  Everything was efficiently placed, with ample storage and hanging space.  The dressing area was a fine example of the clever layout, and the bathroom, with walk-in shower (with glass door, unlike other QG and PG suites) next to a large bathtub, both separated from the toilet and basins by a door, functioned perfectly. 

The balcony in PG on the QE is ridiculously small for a superior accommodation. The last time we booked PG we chose a stateroom that had a view from the balcony forward as well as to the side. I knew there would be curvature of the balcony but it was smaller than I expected. It was difficult getting the door open so we had to leave the chairs a certain way. We once had a Britannia cabin with a balcony twice that size.  Also, I don't care for the open closet. On the QM2 there is a huge walk-in closet with a door so your guests don't see your clothes.

We had QG for the first time on the QE (last June) and were very fond of the Q4 layout. As described by others, the two-part bathroom was very convenient. We also liked the partial divider between the sleeping and sitting halves of the suite. A heavy curtain can be pulled to fill the gap. "Mrs. David" likes to take a one-hour nap on many afternoons.  She could rest on the bed with the curtain pulled and I could have access to the loo, the in-suite bar and the balcony  without disturbing her.  

On a posting a while back someone referred to the layout of the Q4s as insane. I was not the only one who replied that we think they are brilliant.

5 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

The balcony in PG on the QE is ridiculously small for a superior accommodation. The last time we booked PG we chose a stateroom that had a view from the balcony forward as well as to the side. I knew there would be curvature of the balcony but it was smaller than I expected. It was difficult getting the door open so we had to leave the chairs a certain way. We once had a Britannia cabin with a balcony twice that size.  Also, I don't care for the open closet. On the QM2 there is a huge walk-in closet with a door so your guests don't see your clothes.

We had QG for the first time on the QE (last June) and were very fond of the Q4 layout. As described by others, the two-part bathroom was very convenient. We also liked the partial divider between the sleeping and sitting halves of the suite. A heavy curtain can be pulled to fill the gap. "Mrs. David" likes to take a one-hour nap on many afternoons.  She could rest on the bed with the curtain pulled and I could have access to the loo, the in-suite bar and the balcony  without disturbing her.  

On a posting a while back someone referred to the layout of the Q4s as insane. I was not the only one who replied that we think they are brilliant.

The Q3 layout is identical, it would seem from your description.  Guests would not see your clothes, as that area is tucked well behind the bedroom area, completely out of sight even if the heavy curtain remained fixed back against the wall.  Any guest using the toilet/basin area would enter and leave through the foyer door.

in the second image below, the hanging and dressing area is behind and to the left of the timber panel on the left of the image.  The balcony was not vast, but a very comfortable size.

IMG_5004.jpeg

IMG_5006.jpeg

IMG_4987.jpeg

Thanks for the photos. Our Q4 was the same. The Q3s are supposed to be a little larger but from the photos I have seen the difference is not significant.  I note the colour schemes are the same. The clothes closet in our Q4 was a small room with a door. It was adequate for us but quite a bit smaller than the closets in both PG and QG on the QM2.  To us, the balcony seems huge as we have never had anything bigger.

Another advantage of the QG suites on the QE and QV vs the QM2 is that all of them have a separate shower stall. On the QM2 the majority of the suites have the shower over the Jacuzzi.  A Penthouse category on the QM2 is quite a bit larger than Penthouses on the QE and the fare is considerably higher as is to be expected. 

Edited by david,Mississauga

That’s interesting.  We are looking forward to comparing QA’s Q3 to that of QE when we embark QA in May.  In images, it is totally different with an open-sided partition separating the bedroom area from the living area.  TVs are mounted on either side of the partition.

50 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

That’s interesting.  We are looking forward to comparing QA’s Q3 to that of QE when we embark QA in May.  In images, it is totally different with an open-sided partition separating the bedroom area from the living area.  TVs are mounted on either side of the partition.

I am interested in Queen Mary versus Queen Elizabeth because the former is an ocean liner.  Has anyone been on both?  How did the ride through rough seas compare?

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I am interested in Queen Mary versus Queen Elizabeth because the former is an ocean liner.  Has anyone been on both?  How did the ride through rough seas compare?

QM, being a liner, is built for the rough seas of the Atlantic crossing.  Haven’t had the pleasure of sailing on QM, but QE certainly fared well on the waters of the Tasman and Bass Strait.  She wasn’t really tested during our sailing though.

This is a Q3 on QE which has a lovely layout in my opinion.

The bathroom is in two sections with the bath and shower (and basin?) in one part and the lav and basin in the other, and they have a door between them. Here are some photos and a video of the cabin taken 12 months ago. 

edit: video won't work for some reason.

9BADFE31-75F0-4AF1-8D2C-09F2D2619D9B.heic 0E591386-7E4A-4B4B-A63E-6839CDEB5A42.heic EAEA7EC9-26A7-470E-B967-28BF5BFC5307.heic 8E5EA859-13FB-4D8D-B04C-A9A6FC329497.heic

Edited by LittleFish1976

10 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I've been on both, crossed the Tasman in both. Had some rough-ish seas both times although nothing dramatic. On the QM2 we had the water from the pool on the deck above cascading down outside the PG restaurant which *looked* dramatic but it didn't feel like anything much (which probably says something) and we were eating at the time. It's certainly a comfortable ship but I also think the Queen Elizabeth sails beautifully also. I would compare to another ship I was on a few months ago (Grand Princess) and it may have just been particularly rough seas off the coast of eastern Victoria and into S.A. on that occasion, but we really got tossed around a lot on that one.

As already said above, the cabins are larger on QM2 grade-for-grade but they are also more expensive than for the same grade on the Vistas.

3 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I've been on both, crossed the Tasman in both. Had some rough-ish seas both times although nothing dramatic. On the QM2 we had the water from the pool on the deck above cascading down outside the PG restaurant which *looked* dramatic but it didn't feel like anything much (which probably says something) and we were eating at the time. It's certainly a comfortable ship but I also think the Queen Elizabeth sails beautifully also. I would compare to another ship I was on a few months ago (Grand Princess) and it may have just been particularly rough seas off the coast of eastern Victoria and into S.A. on that occasion, but we really got tossed around a lot on that one.

As already said above, the cabins are larger on QM2 grade-for-grade but they are also more expensive than for the same grade on the Vistas.

Thanks. I’ve always dreamt of cruising on QM2.

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Thanks for the photos. Our Q4 was the same. The Q3s are supposed to be a little larger but from the photos I have seen the difference is not significant.  I note the colour schemes are the same. The clothes closet in our Q4 was a small room with a door. It was adequate for us but quite a bit smaller than the closets in both PG and QG on the QM2.  To us, the balcony seems huge as we have never had anything bigger.

Another advantage of the QG suites on the QE and QV vs the QM2 is that all of them have a separate shower stall. On the QM2 the majority of the suites have the shower over the Jacuzzi.  A Penthouse category on the QM2 is quite a bit larger than Penthouses on the QE and the fare is considerably higher as is to be expected. 

There are two wardrobes in the Q3. There's a walk-in wardrobe with a door which separates it from the bedroom area. It has hanging and shelves and is very roomy. Then there is some cabinetry adjacent to the walk-in robe which are fitted with doors and contain drawers and shelves (this is where the safe is) and then there is a separate smallish wardrobe which is all hanging space. More than enough for two people spending weeks at sea.

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

This is a Q3 on QE which has a lovely layout in my opinion.

The bathroom is in two sections with the bath and shower (and basin?) in one part and the lav and basin in the other, and they have a door between them. Here are some photos and a video of the cabin taken 12 months ago. 

edit: video won't work for some reason.

112E9FE7-B97C-4AA5-9CC3-ACF83E4D34D8.movUnavailable

9BADFE31-75F0-4AF1-8D2C-09F2D2619D9B.heicUnavailable 0E591386-7E4A-4B4B-A63E-6839CDEB5A42.heicUnavailable EAEA7EC9-26A7-470E-B967-28BF5BFC5307.heicUnavailable 8E5EA859-13FB-4D8D-B04C-A9A6FC329497.heicUnavailable

Can't open the links, unfortunately, but they would be identical to the photos I posted above, which are of the same QE Q3 penthouse.

9 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Can't open the links, unfortunately, but they would be identical to the photos I posted above, which are of the same QE Q3 penthouse.

Thank you Linda! Yes my post eneded up being pointless and I did try to delete it when I realised how unsuccessful the media links were but of course my tech abilities didn't even extend to deleting the post!!

🤣

1 minute ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Thank you Linda! Yes my post eneded up being pointless and I did try to delete it when I realised how unsuccessful the media links were but of course my tech abilities didn't even extend to deleting the post!!

🤣

You're not an island.  Sometimes my kids call me "Minda" when it comes to IT😂