OzKiwiJJ Goes Posh!

On 1/27/2024 at 5:19 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

By now we'd sailed clear of the clouds and mist so it was warm and sunny on deck. We went out onto the Grills Terrace and enjoyed a short rest on the very comfortable sun-loungers there. We were too lazy to go down and get our sunscreen so only stayed outside for about 15 minutes. It was 2:45pm, almost time for the famous afternoon tea in the Queens Room. Hmmm, so much for that idea! By the time we got down there all the tables were taken and the queue stretched all the way back past the pub and almost to the theatre. So we went back up and had afternoon tea in Princess Grills.Β 

Β 

If you'd had your sunscreen with you, you could have stayed up on the Grills Terrace - they come around at tea time with a trolley and serve a selection of afternoon tea and icecream to you on your sunlounge.

Β 

Every night the dinner finished with petit fours, usually a few chocolates and a couple of pieces of crystallised ginger. One night there was a lovely orange jelly - we agreed to share that as we both wanted it. I wish they'd had that every night, it was very refreshing.

You should have mentioned your desire for more orange jellies to your waiter. They would have brought you more and possibly every night if you'd let them know. They go out of their way to make sure you're pleased.

Β 

I'm very glad you enjoyed your first Cunard cruise. They're certainly my favourite line.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2024 at 2:53 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

The upper level of the library.

Β 

2024-01-1817_20_55.thumb.jpg.d998a70a8bf175fe7931a99c4880cf8f.jpg

Β 

The spiral staircase in the library.

Β 

2024-01-1817_22_54.thumb.jpg.a7c87ad560847b1993cab45b189f05d3.jpg

I love the QE library - though I have to stop myself from reshelving the books properly! Your review is wonderful, I especially love the Commodore Club.Β 

8 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh what a beautiful library. Did you spend much time in the library. Β I love well stocked

libraries on ships, especially the big books of

maps and big books on the destination and

attractions/peoples en route. Β A negative of Resilient Lady was so few books it couldn’t be called a library, just a pile of books. However, There was a big room of puzzles and games, plus another room with games - two round ? On sawdust. Β A bigger version shuttlecock was on deck outside.

Virgin sailors don't read apparently.

• Haha 1

I didn't have a suitable dress (I wear silk kaftans for formal nights) but there was an online warehouse sale on my favourite brand so I was able to pick up a gorgeous one at a bargain price (I love a good bargain!). I was chuffed to receive a couple of compliments on my outfit.Β 

I would love to try kaftans!Β  Would you mind telling me the brand as I have no ideas of good brands?Β  Thank you in advance!Β  Would also love to see a picture!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, alibabacruisers said:

I would love to try kaftans!Β  Would you mind telling me the brand as I have no ideas of good brands?Β  Thank you in advance!Β  Would also love to see a picture!

I’d like to know more too😁 You always look very elegantΒ 

Edited by Cbtours

3 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

I buy the Camilla brand, usually when they have sales as they are quite expensive. They are beautiful quality, silk georgette so very, very light, with beautiful crystal embellishments. I'm not a fashionista so don't care if I'm wearing styles from several years ago, I just wear the styles I'm in the mood for from my very small collection. They are so light that all my kaftans together would barely take up the same amount of space as one of Rolf's dinner jackets, plus they don't crease.

Β 

https://au.camilla.com/

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

Just now, OzKiwiJJ said:

I buy the Camilla brand, usually when they have sales as they are quite expensive. They are beautiful quality, silk georgette so very, very light, with beautiful crystal embellishments. I'm not a fashionista so don't care if I'm wearing styles from several years ago, I just wear the styles I'm in the mood for from my very small collection. They are so light that all my kaftans together would barely take up the same amount of space as one of Rolf's dinner jackets, plus they don't crease.

Β 

camilla.com.au

Thanks I’ll looked it up too. I’m not a fashionista either 😁

Greetings from New England in America and thank you @OzKiwiJJfor your informative and fun to read review. We’re picking up QE in PG for Alaska this summer so thanks for warming up the ship for us! We enjoy the nicer dress code on Cunard, even for Alaska.Β 

The QE Grills facilities sound great, seem better than on QM2 while the PG suites are nicer on QM2.Β 

5 hours ago, NE John said:

Greetings from New England in America and thank you @OzKiwiJJfor your informative and fun to read review. We’re picking up QE in PG for Alaska this summer so thanks for warming up the ship for us! We enjoy the nicer dress code on Cunard, even for Alaska.Β 

The QE Grills facilities sound great, seem better than on QM2 while the PG suites are nicer on QM2.Β 

You're welcome and, yes, the QE Grills area is lovely. Enjoy!

Β 

I think the photo I saw of a PG cabin must have been the QM2 version as I got quite a surprise to discover a very familiar layout instead of the different one I was expecting.

• Like 1

Β As one who is very fond of the QE (equally with the QM2 - for different reasons) I appreciate the comments.Β  We have been on the QE four times in three different restaurant "classes" - all except for the Britannia Club. The first cruise was to Norway and the other three were Alaska cruises from Vancouver.

Β 

I sympathise with those who are losing the QE cruises based in their own country.Β  Next year Cunard is basing the Alaska cruises in Seattle instead of Vancouver, which does not please me one bit.Β Β 

Β 

Like most people, we much prefer the Grills facilities on the QE than on the QM2. The exception would be the staterooms, which on the QM2 give the appearance of being superior accommodation to those skinny ones on the QE even though they are same square footage. The QM2 ones also have a bigger balcony.Β  Β 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 2:28 AM, MicCanberra said:

Virgin sailors don't read apparently.

If they do, they need to bring their own books and magazines and maps of the itinerary if they wish to follow the journey. Β The latter was my greatest disappointment. Β I was still finding things the last day, so a real Map Room may have been somewhere. No mid day report from the Captain either. Β 

On 2/4/2024 at 9:21 AM, david,Mississauga said:

Β As one who is very fond of the QE (equally with the QM2 - for different reasons) I appreciate the comments.Β  We have been on the QE four times in three different restaurant "classes" - all except for the Britannia Club. The first cruise was to Norway and the other three were Alaska cruises from Vancouver.

Β 

I sympathise with those who are losing the QE cruises based in their own country.Β  Next year Cunard is basing the Alaska cruises in Seattle instead of Vancouver, which does not please me one bit.Β Β 

Β 

Like most people, we much prefer the Grills facilities on the QE than on the QM2. The exception would be the staterooms, which on the QM2 give the appearance of being superior accommodation to those skinny ones on the QE even though they are same square footage. The QM2 ones also have a bigger balcony.Β  Β 

Β 

I agree with all your comments about QE, with the exception of those relating to Grills staterooms.Β  I haven't been in PG suites, but I have noted from the brochures that they are rather and long and narrow.Β  Conversely, the QG penthouse we were fortunate to occupy was superbly laid out.Β  Not quite as spacious as similar level on some other lines, but certainly more than adequate.Β  The key to the QG3 comfort, we found, was the exceptional layout.Β  Everything was efficiently placed, with ample storage and hanging space.Β  The dressing area was a fine example of the clever layout, and the bathroom, with walk-in shower (with glass door, unlike other QG and PG suites) next to a large bathtub, both separated from the toilet and basins by a door, functioned perfectly.Β  It will be really interesting to compare the Q3 on Queen Anne during our voyage in May.Β 

Β 

We have just received a Cunard email announcing that during our British Isles voyage, Liverpool, Cunard's spiritual home, will host Queen Anne's official naming ceremony.Β  We are very excited to be witnesses to Cunard history.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

Β 

I agree with all your comments about QE, with the exception of those relating to Grills staterooms.Β  I haven't been in PG suites, but I have noted from the brochures that they are rather and long and narrow.Β  Conversely, the QG penthouse we were fortunate to occupy was superbly laid out.Β  Not quite as spacious as similar level on some other lines, but certainly more than adequate.Β  The key to the QG3 comfort, we found, was the exceptional layout.Β  Everything was efficiently placed, with ample storage and hanging space.Β  The dressing area was a fine example of the clever layout, and the bathroom, with walk-in shower (with glass door, unlike other QG and PG suites) next to a large bathtub, both separated from the toilet and basins by a door, functioned perfectly.Β  It will be really interesting to compare the Q3 on Queen Anne during our voyage in May.Β 

Β 

We have just received a Cunard email announcing that during our British Isles voyage, Liverpool, Cunard's spiritual home, will host Queen Anne's official naming ceremony.Β  We are very excited to be witnesses to Cunard history.

Wow that’s very special πŸ₯°

• Like 1

Just now, Cbtours said:

Wow that’s very special πŸ₯°

It is, and we couldn't believe it when the email landed just as we were going to bed last night.Β  This morning I woke wondering if I had dreamt it, but the email's still there.Β  We had no idea of this happening when we booked this cruise so many months ago.Β  Cunard explained that the naming ceremony will be held during our Liverpool stop, not only because Liverpool is the Company's spiritual home, but also because our voyage will be Queen Anne's maiden circumnavigation of the British Isles.Β  I'm actually rather relieved, because it will be Mario's 80th birthday during the cruise, and I was feeling a twinge of guilt that we won't be home for such a special one.Β  The family all just said, "Go for it, we can celebrate before or after" and he feels the same way.Β  As I wrote this morning on the Queen Anne thread, I told him last night that I've gone to enormous trouble, over months, to organise this special ceremony during his birthday cruiseπŸ˜‰

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mareblu said:

It is, and we couldn't believe it when the email landed just as we were going to bed last night.Β  This morning I woke wondering if I had dreamt it, but the email's still there.Β  We had no idea of this happening when we booked this cruise so many months ago.Β  Cunard explained that the naming ceremony will be held during our Liverpool stop, not only because Liverpool is the Company's spiritual home, but also because our voyage will be Queen Anne's maiden circumnavigation of the British Isles.Β  I'm actually rather relieved, because it will be Mario's 80th birthday during the cruise, and I was feeling a twinge of guilt that we won't be home for such a special one.Β  The family all just said, "Go for it, we can celebrate before or after" and he feels the same way.Β  As I wrote this morning on the Queen Anne thread, I told him last night that I've gone to enormous trouble, over months, to organise this special ceremony during his birthday cruiseπŸ˜‰

My husbands 80th celebrations ended up over three months, celebrated in Australia, UK and South Africa. He had 8 birthday cakes over that time lol

Β 

Β 

IMG_1674.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

My husbands 80th celebrations ended up over three months, celebrated in Australia, UK and South Africa. He had 8 birthday cakes over that time lol

Β 

Β 

IMG_1674.jpeg

Now THAT is the way to celebrate an eightieth!Β  How wonderful, and he looks about forty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Mareblu said:

Now THAT is the way to celebrate an eightieth!Β  How wonderful, and he looks about forty!

We’re celebrating his 85th this March with Syd to NZ on Majestic Princess. He’s not doing to bad with his aging 🀣🀣🀣

Β 

0b465992-5ce4-4bc5-9e46-2ec425199645.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Β 

Β 

Wow! Lucky you!Β 

Β 

Yes, the PG staterooms are long and thin but spacious enough, and with excellent storage - although the identical Princess ones have even more storage space as the two TVs are wall mounted instead of being placed in a unit, so that space in the unit is also available for storing stuff on Princess. The thing I particularly like is the open closet/dressing area, with lots of hanging space on one side, the bathroom door on the other side and a large cupboard with shelves and the safe at the end. This layout is also in most Princess Grand and Royal class cabins. I like this open setup as sometimes closets with doors aren't quite deep enough and clothes can get caught in the doors, or have to be a little bit squashed in.

Β 

That QG bathroom layout sounds very similar to the Coral Princess suite bathrooms. A very sensible layout. Did the QG bathroom have two entrances?Β 

Β 

The nicest cabin we've ever had so far was on Regent Seven Seas Explorer. Essentially a mini-suite but wider than the Princess/QE ones. The bed faced out to the windows and there was a curtain between it and the sitting area. It also had a huge walking closet/dressing area with plenty of hanging space, plus shelves and drawers near the entrance. The bathroom was wonderful with a separate bath and shower and more than enough shelf space and drawers. I like bathrooms with drawers and even cupboards rather than just tiny shelves. Much tidier!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Β 

Β 

IMG_1674.jpeg

Happy birthday Frank! I find it hard to believe he's 85, he doesn't look a day over 60!Β 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Happy birthday Frank! I find it hard to believe he's 85, he doesn't look a day over 60!Β 

It’s not his birthday til March 25. Then he’ll be 85. It’s just he was holding the first of his 8 cakes that happened 5 years ago. I just added a very recent photo to show how much he’s aged in five years 😁😁😁

• Haha 2

Those 8 cakes don't appear to have done any lasting damaged his waistline πŸ˜‚ - happy birthday for March πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚πŸŽ‚

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

I was thinking the same thing! I don't believe he's over 80!! Where's he hiding the fountain of youth?!πŸ™‚ Must be all that cruising!

Edited by ceeceeDee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1