Fantastica changes

bruce85

Just booked a 7 night on the seashore, and Fantastica no longer gives you the benefit of choosing your dining time. It does include free room service (not sure if that's a new benefit). But the dining time was important to us. I did email to request a time 

We've  just booked Seashore for Sept. We're brand new to MSC .. so do you reserve your dining time each nite on the ship .. or do you just show up at the dining room when you wish?

30 minutes ago, F27TW said:

We've  just booked Seashore for Sept. We're brand new to MSC .. so do you reserve your dining time each nite on the ship .. or do you just show up at the dining room when you wish?

You will be given a set time when you check in for embarkation. Unless you’re booked in Aurea or YC. Aurea will have any time dining, and YC has its own dining room.

28 minutes ago, Tierun said:

You will be given a set time when you check in for embarkation. Unless you’re booked in Aurea or YC. Aurea will have any time dining, and YC has its own dining room.

We're in Fantastica ... so we have no choice re: time ?

4 minutes ago, F27TW said:

We're in Fantastica ... so we have no choice re: time ?

Sorry, given this post, no real choice. It used to be that Fantastica could give a preference of dining time, for many their preferred time still wasn’t assigned, but now it seems that they no longer even have that ability. Some have had success getting the assigned time changed once onboard. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tierun said:

Sorry, given this post, no real choice. It used to be that Fantastica could give a preference of dining time, for many their preferred time still wasn’t assigned, but now it seems that they no longer even have that ability. Some have had success getting the assigned time changed once onboard. 

Ok good to know ... thanks for the info!

• Thanks 1

Nothing has changed on the UK website since last November.  

It still says Fantastica gets "Chance to request preferred dinner sitting (subject to availability)" and allows dining time selection during booking for both Bella and Fantastica (and in the past I have also changed it by contacting MSC):  image.thumb.png.1a13f9d6a37819bcbd12f65db2d0a28c.png

There were some posts last year that MSC were piloting "anytime dining" on the 3 night cruises from Orlando on MSC Seaside - perhaps what you are seeing is related to that (and cruise specific). 

• Like 1

I'm part of a group cruise so perhaps they will allow us to keep this option?  I can see them making this change to accommodate groups first and then individual cruises.  I imagine there'd be a lot of upset people if they couldn't give members of a group the same dining time.  Our group always does 5 pm dining.  I wouldn't be upset if our time was set for 7 pm and I could watch the sail away the first night.  9 pm is too late for me.  

1 hour ago, Jamie7777 said:

I'm part of a group cruise so perhaps they will allow us to keep this option?  I can see them making this change to accommodate groups first and then individual cruises.  I imagine there'd be a lot of upset people if they couldn't give members of a group the same dining time.  Our group always does 5 pm dining.  I wouldn't be upset if our time was set for 7 pm and I could watch the sail away the first night.  9 pm is too late for me.  

Groups reservations are linked (or should be) which will put them in the same seating time. Why should groups get preferential dining slots or choice thereof is my question?  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, F27TW said:

If nothing has changed, which is currently unclear. With Fantastica you're given an option to request an early or late dining time. It's not guaranteed. The assigned time and MDR is applicable each night. Alternatively, you have the buffet (free) or speciality restaurants (payable) where you can choose your dining time each evening. 

On 1/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, Morgsmom said:

Groups reservations are linked (or should be) which will put them in the same seating time. Why should groups get preferential dining slots or choice thereof is my question?  

I'm not saying it necessarily should be preferential, but starting with groups first would be less of a headache.  It's like putting sand in a jar first and then trying to fill it with rocks.  You put the rocks in first and the sand will slide between the rocks to fill the jar.  It's the same with individual people and groups for reservation times.  Accommodate the big groups first so you can gauge how much space you have left for individuals.  I hope that makes more sense.

45 minutes ago, Jamie7777 said:

I hope that makes more sense.

I just don’t personally agree that the preferences of “groups” should supersede or outweigh those of other travelers. 

2 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I'm booked for fantastica later this year...a "chance to request dining time" is an option for me..also, the room service is only no delivery charge for breakfast..still a charge for the items themselves 

The delivery and the breakfast doesn't incur a charge (*some items in some regions are payable).

4 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

I just don’t personally agree that the preferences of “groups” should supersede or outweigh those of other travelers. 

Two words: Yacht Club.  That's a whole "group" of people whose preferences supersede those of other travelers.

44 minutes ago, Jamie7777 said:

Two words: Yacht Club.  That's a whole "group" of people whose preferences supersede those of other travelers.

What?  They aren’t preferences, they are paid for privileges. 💯 supercede because they are paying for it.  You pay, you get. $500 usd vs $5,000 usd 

I don’t get where you are coming from.

Pay for YC, get more. That’s all 

Otherwise, “groups” are not > individual reservations. 

< very confused 🤷🏼‍♀️ here>

Some random Booking of 8 or 10 cabins is more important than individual bookings?  Don’t think so.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

What?  They aren’t preferences, they are paid for privileges. 💯 supercede because they are paying for it.  You pay, you get. $500 usd vs $5,000 usd 

I don’t get where you are coming from.

Pay for YC, get more. That’s all 

Otherwise, “groups” are not > individual reservations. 

< very confused 🤷🏼‍♀️ here>

Some random Booking of 8 or 10 cabins is more important than individual bookings?  Don’t think so.  

Fantastica is a paid for privilege.  If you pay for the privilege to get the times you want, you paid for it.  Aurea is a paid for privilege.  Guess what?  Aurea passengers get a whole restaurant for themselves and get anytime dining.  I'm not arguing with you tonight.  It is what it is.  I don't own MSC.  Let them do what they want.  Good night.

On 1/30/2024 at 2:29 PM, Jamie7777 said:

I'm not saying it necessarily should be preferential, but starting with groups first would be less of a headache.  It's like putting sand in a jar first and then trying to fill it with rocks.  You put the rocks in first and the sand will slide between the rocks to fill the jar.  It's the same with individual people and groups for reservation times.  Accommodate the big groups first so you can gauge how much space you have left for individuals.  I hope that makes more sense.

Not really. No reason why a couple shouldn't have just as much choice as a "group". Or a solo traveller for that matter.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2024 at 1:44 AM, Jamie7777 said:

Fantastica is a paid for privilege.  If you pay for the privilege to get the times you want, you paid for it.  Aurea is a paid for privilege.  Guess what?  Aurea passengers get a whole restaurant for themselves and get anytime dining.  I'm not arguing with you tonight.  It is what it is.  I don't own MSC.  Let them do what they want.  Good night.

And, if as an individual/couple you've paid the Fantastica privilege of selecting your preferred dining time this shouldn't be impacted by group bookings. Both have paid for the same privilege, groups shouldn't have any priority. YC is irrelevant to Fantastica dining time bookings. 

On 1/30/2024 at 8:16 PM, Morgsmom said:

I don't disagree with you, but being pragmatic, this is how most reservation systems would handle things:

On 1/30/2024 at 7:29 PM, Jamie7777 said:

You put the rocks in first and the sand will slide between the rocks to fill the jar.

The flip side of this is that once groups have been allocated a sitting, they are less likely to be moved on request, and further just because they are allocated first, doesn't mean they will all get their preference as too many large groups in the same sitting can be problematic as well.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bruce85 said:

So here is a screenshot from my booking. My reservations states no timing time as been assigned.

Nor will it be until embarkation.  You’ll have to queue to see the m’D onboard should you wish to change the assigned time.  He’ll be available between certain times in one of the MDRs (usually).  Guest Services will be able to tell you where to go.