Towel Art

emam

I have just seen a couple of photos of towel art that were taken on Iona. Is this a new thing for P&O or just for certain cabins, ships or pc tiers? We have never seen these on the cruises we have been.

6 minutes ago, emam said:

I have just seen a couple of photos of towel art that were taken on Iona. Is this a new thing for P&O or just for certain cabins, ships or pc tiers? We have never seen these on the cruises we have been.

Perhaps in times gone past but nothing for years on P&O......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, emam said:

Is this a new thing for P&O or just for certain cabins, ships or pc tiers?

Probably more to do with your cabin steward than anything else - perhaps trying for a tip!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, emam said:

It was our wedding anniversary whilst onboard Azura in July last year, and we had a few cards out in the cabin and when we came back we found a towel cake waiting.

IMG_1519.JPEG

Edited by jaydee6969
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, jaydee6969 said:

It was our wedding anniversary whilst onboard Azura in July last year, and we had a few cards out in the cabin and when we came back we found a towel cake waiting.

IMG_1519.JPEG

Out of interest, who did you tell is was your anniversary? Its our 10th in a couple of weeks and we'll be on Azura.

12 minutes ago, Warrior85 said:

Out of interest, who did you tell is was your anniversary? Its our 10th in a couple of weeks and we'll be on Azura.

We didn't tell anyone, this was all down to the cabin stewards.  It was only the anniversary cards visible in the cabin that would have let the stewards know on the morning.  It appeared whilst we were ashore in Monte Carlo.

• Like 4

You still get towel animals on Marella (and choccies on your pillow). We have had mice, elephants but perhaps the most original was a monkey hanging by its arms from the curtain rail! All good stuff!!

• Like 3

On Iona in December and we had 4 towel animals. They were great. Elephant. Monkey. Dog and a bunny. My kids were very impressed. 

But we’ve not seen any since our first cruise in 2012 other than these ones. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 9:56 PM, emam said:

I used to have some done in my cabin on Aurora or Arcadia towards the end of my cruise sometimes, but I haven't seen any since Covid. Now that the cabin stewards have been assigned to other tasks in the evening such as cleaning the public areas, it may be that they mostly don't have the time to do it.

• Like 3

On 1/30/2024 at 10:26 AM, david63 said:

Probably more to do with your cabin steward than anything else - perhaps trying for a tip!

If you want to get the ball rolling, once on board do a towel sculpture yourself and leave it in pride of place somewhere in the cabin.  Once the cabin steward had noticed how pathetic your effort is they may well go totally overboard with humiliating expert examples.  Check on line for props needed like sunglasses, coat hangers etc.  and leave these lying about on show.  If the steward does model something be sure to tell them how impressed you are.

Regards John

• Haha 6

We got a pair of swans on Azura in December. I think it's down to the steward, if there are kids or an occasion, but generally speaking, don't expect towel animals. MSC still do them, along with turndown. 

20231203_094250.jpg

• Like 3

I think it's special occasions only.  I had my birthday on another cruise line (Saga Spirit of Discovery) last month and our cabin steward prepared a towel animal/balloons birthday greeting... he also incorporated our stuffed dog who accompanies us on our travels if we aren't flying....image.thumb.jpeg.1e4116d06c8f1961013c266521dab479.jpeg

• Like 7

Funny 2012 and Azura being mentioned - our first cruise was on Azura in 2012 and we had towel art every day I think, certainly most days.

We also were onboard Azura on my husband’s birthday a few years later and he put his cards out on the desk. When we came back later a card had been left signed by Captain Camby.

I am just watching the news and I was shocked to see the queue outside a dentist waiting to register with an NHS dentist.  I know that there are dental practices who are refusing to take new NHS patients but what I don't understand is why so many people are not already registered with a dentist.

Is it that some dentists are switching from the NHS and dumping previous regular patients?

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I am just watching the news and I was shocked to see the queue outside a dentist waiting to register with an NHS dentist.  I know that there are dental practices who are refusing to take new NHS patients but what I don't understand is why so many people are not already registered with a dentist.

Is it that some dentists are switching from the NHS and dumping previous regular patients?

This has been the situation since the introduction in 2016 of the "new" dental contract.  NHS dentistry simply doesn't pay the dentists well and as a result huge numbers no longer do NHS dentistry.  They didn’t so much dump patients as simply close down completely and restart as private practices.  A large number of dentists have also left the UK for various reasons including emigration for better livelihoods and return to home countries after the pandemic and Brexit.

A few dentists, my own included, offer a sort of halfway house where they do checkups, fillings etc but not things like root canals or complex work.  My friend is currently paying £3,000 to have all her teeth removed and dentures fitted due to an illness having caused serious issues.

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

11 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

This has been the situation since the introduction in 2016 of the "new" dental contract.  NHS dentistry simply doesn't pay the dentists well and as a result huge numbers no longer do NHS dentistry.  They didn’t so much dump patients as simply close down completely and restart as private practices.  A large number of dentists have also left the UK for various reasons including emigration for better livelihoods and return to home countries after the pandemic and Brexit.

A few dentists, my own included, offer a sort of halfway house where they do checkups, fillings etc but not things like root canals or complex work.  My friend is currently paying £3,000 to have all her teeth removed and dentures fitted due to an illness having caused serious issues.

Yes this place closed down and then reopened under new name and the people had to re register. 
so few NHS dentists around now. Our dentist changed to private last year and no where else to go so now pay. 

Edited by Gettingwarmer

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

It seems that many young adults, once they are no longer entitled to totally free NHS dental services, no longer bother about regular check ups, and let their dentist delete them from their NHS list. That is of course until they have problems, then its difficult to find a dentist. 

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Not sure how this morphed into - dentists, but I will add my experience of this. I had been registered with an NHS dentist for 10 years. When I last called to make my regular appointment I was told the last NHS dentist (my dentist) had left the practice so the only choice was to book with a private one. I didn't. There are none available in my area now.

Edited by laslomas

3 hours ago, laslomas said:

Not sure how this morphed into - dentists, but I will add my experience of this. I had been registered with an NHS dentist for 10 years. When I last called to make my regular appointment I was told the last NHS dentist (my dentist) had left the practice so the only choice was to book with a private one. I didn't. There are none available in my area now.

This happened to my daughter a few years ago. Luckily, she was able to find another NHS dentist, but I don’t think that would be possible now as it seems that the few NHS dentists around here are full.