Refundable OBC and general OBC questions

cusematt4

Hi all,

For an upcoming cruise, I want to continue paying on a card I already started making payments.

Another card is offering me $170 back for a $700 payment or more with Princess (any payment direct with Princess, whether a booking, excursions or anything else - as long as done in one transaction).  Excursions have already been booked.

1 - Is there a way for me to buy refundable OBC for $750?  If so, how can I do this?

2 - How does it work if someone has some refundable and some non-refundable OBC?  If I wind up with leftover OBC, will the nonrefundable OBC be used first so I can get back any unused refundable OBC?  For example, if I have $200 in OBC ($100 refundable/$100 non-refundable) and only have $100 of onboard expenses, would the $100 non-refundable be used first so I could request back the $100 refundable OBC?

Thank you very much.

NON refundable funds from your folio are always used first.  If there is no way to buy that $700 OBC buy a gift card for Princess (Satisfying your requirement to spend $700) from a store that sells gift cards. My supermarket carries gift cards.  The gift card can be applied to OBC when you board as refundable. 

If you are a member of AARP, you can buy Princess gift cards, $100 each for $92 they can be applied to your account as OBC. I believe they get refunded to the card if not used. You can also buy onboard credits from princess through your cruise personalizer for your cruise  under extras. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, hope it helps though.

6 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

If you are a member of AARP, you can buy Princess gift cards, $100 each for $92 they can be applied to your account as OBC. I believe they get refunded to the card if not used. You can also buy onboard credits from princess through your cruise personalizer for your cruise  under extras. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, hope it helps though.

Just to clarify...you don't have to be a member of AARP itself...just their rewards program. Free...

• Thanks 1

I don't believe a 3rd party purchase will work for your credit card credit.  In order to get the credit from your credit card company it has to be a purchase from Princess.  If you purchase the cards from a store or AARP that is what it shows on your credit card, not a purchase from Princess.  This happens for people that purchase their air through Princess with their airline credit card.  They do not receive the credit because it isn't purchased directly with the airline. 

• 2 months later...

Hi.

1) Can Princess OBC be used towards paying Crew Appreciation Payments please?

2) Can OBC be used to pay for purchases in Princess onboard shops?

"...Once on board, you can use Onboard Credit on shore excursions, specialty dining, spa treatments, beverage packages and more."

3) What other uses for OBC are included in their definition of "more" please?

From the Princess website:

Redeeming onboard credit

Before you sail, your Onboard Credit can be used to purchase shore excursions online through Cruise Personalizer. When you check out, we’ll automatically apply your credit to the payment due unless you uncheck the "onboard credit applied" box on the "Reservation Summary" screen.

Once on board, you can use Onboard Credit on shore excursions, specialty dining, spa treatments, beverage packages and more. Purchases will be added to your stateroom folio and your Onboard Credit will be automatically applied before your credit card is charged at the end of your cruise.

Yes to all your questions. OBC is posted as a credit to your onboard account. Any on board purchase, including all those in your questions, when posted to your account nets against the credit balance. It's a simple credit/debit system. Exception: If you purchase Future Cruise Deposits, FCDs, or place a deposit for a future cruise while you are on board those charges go directly to your credit card and bypass your onboard account. Thus OBC can not be used for this purpose.

Regarding Crew Appreciation. My understanding is that crew appreciation is included in the fare for the Australia/NZ market. So, no additional charge. In the U.S. if you purchase the standard fare there will be a daily crew appreciation charge per person of US$16, $17 or $18 depending on cabin category. This is automatically posted daily to your account and nets against any credit balance, OBC.

If you are speaking about providing additional tips to certain crew members then cash is the way to go.

The accounting system automatically uses non refundable OBC first then refundable.  

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, skynight said:

Yes to all your questions. OBC is posted as a credit to your onboard account. Any on board purchase, including all those in your questions, when posted to your account nets against the credit balance. It's a simple credit/debit system. Exception: If you purchase Future Cruise Deposits, FCDs, or place a deposit for a future cruise while you are on board those charges go directly to your credit card and bypass your onboard account. Thus OBC can not be used for this purpose.

Regarding Crew Appreciation. My understanding is that crew appreciation is included in the fare for the Australia/NZ market. So, no additional charge. In the U.S. if you purchase the standard fare there will be a daily crew appreciation charge per person of US$16, $17 or $18 depending on cabin category. This is automatically posted daily to your account and nets against any credit balance, OBC.

If you are speaking about providing additional tips to certain crew members then cash is the way to go.

The accounting system automatically uses non refundable OBC first then refundable.  

Many Thanks skynight for your clear feedback !

(Despite being Princess Elite, this is my first cruise with OBC provided)

My next cruise is in Europe, so I acknowledge the crew appreciation payments will be in addition to my fare, as you say. Thankyou.

Edited by StevenW