Douro River Cruising One Way

bohaiboy

I see many cruises are sailing teh Douro, but they have almost no time (relatively speaking) on the river and too much time in Porto and Lisbon, where we have spent many days, so those stops are useless to us.  Are there any that do one-way trips up the river ending in Madrid (and yes I know we would have to go by bus to Madrid from the final river point).  We are looking for more the higher-end, luxury cruises.  Thanks in advance all.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:20 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

AMA does one-way (with Salamanca on the way to Madrid).  Scenic has an 11-day cruise rt Porto that doesn't spend much time in Porto (and none in Lisbon).

We are booked with AMA in May...  We start with 3 days in Lisbon - then 7 nights on the boat before disembarking in Vega de Terron and heading overland (via Salamanca) for 3 nights.   I expect you could travel the other way (ie: starting in Madrid) , and get off the boat in Porto.  Perhaps discuss ending your trip there if you don't want to spend time in Lisbon again?

We have never been to Portugal or Spain - so really looking forward to this.

Fran

Franski you’ll love it the Portuguese are wonderfully friendly people and the Spanish can be just a tad excitable. Both countries wines and food are superb, try real Spanish tapas and paella. Salamanca is one of Spains most heritage cities it’s beautiful.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, franski said:

We are booked with AMA in May...  We start with 3 days in Lisbon - then 7 nights on the boat before disembarking in Vega de Terron and heading overland (via Salamanca) for 3 nights.   I expect you could travel the other way (ie: starting in Madrid) , and get off the boat in Porto.  Perhaps discuss ending your trip there if you don't want to spend time in Lisbon again?

We have never been to Portugal or Spain - so really looking forward to this.

Fran

That's Flavors of Portugal and Spain – it can be booked as a 7-night cruise from Porto to Vega (or vice versa, but then you're stuck in Vega...) or with 3-night add-ons in Madrid and/or Lisbon.

The itinerary Bohaiboy is looking for is more like:

Enticing Douro – 7-nights roundtrip Porto [3-night add-on in Lisbon is optional]

But I feel that 7-nights roundtrip Porto would have too little time on shore, since all sailing is done in the daytime.  I still think the best Douro itinerary is:

Scenic Unforgettable Douro – 11-nights roundtrip Porto.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 3:31 PM, Canal archive said:

Franski you’ll love it the Portuguese are wonderfully friendly people and the Spanish can be just a tad excitable. Both countries wines and food are superb, try real Spanish tapas and paella. Salamanca is one of Spains most heritage cities it’s beautiful.

Thank you!!  This itinerary is one I have watched for awhile.  But, it doesn't seem to ever go on sale - and it sells out quickly.  Decided to bite the bullet and book anyway - as a way to celebrate our 45th wedding anniversary.

I am excited that AMA also includes a visit to Toledo when you include Madrid.

Fran

Stock your wallet up for a visit to Madrid, wonderful shopping city oh and of course everything Spanish. Toledo steel is beautiful. About the only place in Spain I have yet to visit is the Alhambra.

Edited by Canal archive
  • Like 1