Embarcation time

esimon

Embarkation time is usually 11:30am so I pay attention if I’m there.  

I’ve arrived at my check-in time a couple of times, but that was right after the restart and I was conditioned to follow rules.  I’m like Sea42 though; I like to have a leisurely breakfast and get a late check-out.  When I arrive at the port it’s mostly died down.

Does anyone recall when assigned times first started?  Was it before covid?

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

...Does anyone recall when assigned times first started?  Was it before covid?

I remember having assigned times pre-covid because of seeing the large clusters of people. The later times filled in the vacancies left when earlier times were called. 

Our first few sailings post-covid there was an obvious absence of clusters (granted less people). A silver lining, if you will, is times mostly disregarded and the waiting minimized.

• Thanks 1

Since the "recent unpleasantness" (Covid) we've boarded Holland America Line ships in.....

Amsterdam

Santiago/San Antonio

Port Everglades 3x

Seattle

Our "check in" time was always some distant time in the afternoon.  We arrived way before that (usually ~10am) and we were always welcomed to enter and get checked in.

(my cruise fare includes lunch on embarkation day and we plan to partake)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Does anyone recall when assigned times first started?

Our first "check in time" experience was post Covid (October 2021, Maiden voyage of Rotterdam) in Amsterdam. 

There was much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands by all of us on the roll call because of the assigned "check in times" and all the Covid travel hassles/documents/restrictions/EuropeQR codes/masks etc.

It was all for nothing as we arrived early (way before assigned check in time) and the tall, blond Dutch lady was ready to stick a long q-tip up our noses for a pre-board Covid test. 

Luckily, we've never experienced the hassles like the folks experienced when embarking in California, then again, we tend to avoid California. 

Enjoy embarkation....no matter when you plan to arrive....just don't miss the boat!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haljo1935 said:

I remember having assigned times pre-covid because of seeing the large clusters of people. The later times filled in the vacancies left when earlier times were called. 

Our first few sailings post-covid there was an obvious absence of clusters (granted less people). A silver lining, if you will, is times mostly disregarded and the waiting minimized.

As I recall, when Koningsdam launched, they started some testing of assigned check in times. Covid caused the assigned times to be applied to the flight.

We also discovered on a very recent trip that HAL boarding time was officially listed to start at 12PM EST in Port Everglades.  I called to confirm as that seemed rather late to start.  HAL confirmed 12PM was the earliest boarding time - even for the suite and 5 star Mariners with preferred status.  We arrived around 11AM and the ship was already boarding.  Take it for what it's worth, but HAL is its own worst enemy sometimes. . .

5 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Port workers in San Diego 🙄

This! Fancy time signs and everything. It’s the only port where we’ve seen this. Lesson learned, which I guess is what they want.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Someone needs to tell the port workers in San Diego that we are the customers and they should be working to make us happy.

They are making me happy.

• Like 2

Your "priority status" comes into play when boarding the ship....not when arriving for check-in or going through the security screening process.

Boarding Groups aka "Boarding Times" are intended to space out arrivals at the pier in order to improve your experience as well as to allow port workers in San Diego to abide by California state laws regarding lunch periods.

Every employee in San Diego must take a break after 5 hours.  That includes stevedores, traffic enforcement, security, guest services, and check-in agents.

As a result, when disembarkation begins at 7:30 am.....there will be repercussions between 12 noon and 1 pm.  Lines do grow longer.

Arriving after 1:30 pm is suggested.

David

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

We are new to HAL. Boarding NS in Port Everglades at the end of February. How does the whole process work from arriving at port to getting on?  We have done many Princess cruises so we are used to medallion and green/blue lanes. What happens with HAL?

40 minutes ago, Sun Queen II said:

How does the whole process work from arriving at port to getting on?

Welcome to HAL!

Our experience from our last two cruises in 2023......

Security check

Passport face scan

Receive boarding group number

Sit

Board when group number called

Scan boarding pass at entrance to ship

Go to room and keycards are waiting

Easy peezy and our experience has been that you keep moving......not much in the way of lines since the streamlined process of face scanning....

Enjoy the journey........

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Welcome to HAL!

Our experience from our last two cruises in 2023......

Security check

Passport face scan

Receive boarding group number

Sit

Board when group number called

Scan boarding pass at entrance to ship

Go to room and keycards are waiting

Easy peezy and our experience has been that you keep moving......not much in the way of lines since the streamlined process of face scanning....

Enjoy the journey........

Thanks! Does sound easy enough. One last question can you take your carry on luggage to your room right away or do you have to wait for an announcement to say that rooms are ready?

1 minute ago, Sun Queen II said:

Thanks! Does sound easy enough. One last question can you take your carry on luggage to your room right away or do you have to wait for an announcement to say that rooms are ready?

You can drop it off. If your cabin is ready, cards will be at the door. If they're not in there means not ready, so just drop your bags & secure appropriate items in safe. Let Cabin Steward know you're dropping your bags so they don't mistake them as belonging to previous passenger. And recommend leaving them on sofa or in closet so they're not in the way while Steward finishes your cabin.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

Just wondering if we are allowed to carry (wheel) our luggage on board rather than leave it with the baggage handlers?

We are still waiting for our cabin assignment and (call me paranoid) we would not feel comfortable handing over our bags if the cabin number is not displayed.

1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

Just wondering if we are allowed to carry (wheel) our luggage on board rather than leave it with the baggage handlers?

We are still waiting for our cabin assignment and (call me paranoid) we would not feel comfortable handing over our bags if the cabin number is not displayed.

Yes, you can carry it on the ship. walking up the ramps may be difficult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

My experience is that the luggage you bring on has to be X-rayed, placed on the belt moving for X-Ray similar to the airport and thus be carry on size.

If your cabin is assigned very last minute, the stevedores have tags where you can write on your cabin number.  Most times guarantees are assigned in enough time to prep your tag and luggage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

If your cabin is assigned very last minute, the stevedores have tags where you can write on your cabin number.  Most times guarantees are assigned in enough time to prep your tag and luggage.

That's what I am hoping. I like to prep my tags ahead of time and laminate them for strength. I cringe when I see the stevedores scribble a number on a tag before the bag disappears onto a cart. 

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

That's the way we roll...........

We travel with a carry on roller bag and backpack each (use HAL laundry).  

It's so much more convenient to pass by the longshoreman (and the tip requirement) and roll our carry on/roller bag right to the stateroom. No issues.  Easy.  And no waiting on luggage delivery. 

Same but in reverse (and much sadder mood) when we dis-embark and use "self-assisted" dis-embarkation.

(I'd only advise taking your own luggage with you if you can easily handle/drive/steer it...And you travel lite......Sometimes frustrating with the elderly passengers gumming up the early dis-embarkation line with their way too big for them to drive suitcases...thinking some folks need a license before hitting the gangway w/their SUV size luggage)

Enjoy the cruise......

4 hours ago, kazu said:

My experience is that the luggage you bring on has to be X-rayed, placed on the belt moving for X-Ray similar to the airport and thus be carry on size.

I have carried my full-size luggage on to the at the San Diego Port in the past.  It fits thru the x-ray station at the security station.