Layover In Rome?

MajSteve

Hello: I am booked on Norwegian's transatlantic cruise on the Epic in April. (Can't wait!). I do, however, have a ridiculous layover in Rome after my cruise arrives. (8 hours). Been thinking of riding the train into Rome for a quick visit to the city center. Maybe a circuit on the Hop On/Off bus. Now to my question (finally)...Is there luggage storage at Leonardo da Vinci airport? I would like to store my carry-on bag securely so that I don't have to drag it around the city and look even more like a tourist than I do already! Have searched the web but can't seem to find any storage that would be easily available. Any information or advice would be welcome. Thanks a lot!

Good idea, but run the numbers.   You need three (at least two) hours at FCO prior to the fight.  Factor in train to FCO then round trip train FCO/Rome Termini.  You may end up with only a couple of hours in Rome.  Probably not enough time for a HOHO circuit.  Still good enough for a quick visit to a few sights in Rome.  

Another potential option is to check if there are any disembarkation excursions that will drop you at the airport.  

• Like 1

Will you have checked bags too?  You may need to store them as unlikely you will be able to check them unless within 3 hours or so.

Also, when you say 'layover' what are the actual times?

It's an hour to the airport after you disembark.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Another potential option is to check if there are any disembarkation excursions that will drop you at the airport.

I would bet there is almost a 100% of this being available

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

FCO/Rome Termini

I did the HOHO bus in Rome and can attest that the bus has a stop in front of the train station.  I don't think the loop is much more than 2 hours if you actually stay on the bus for the full loop.  An issue with this approach is that some, maybe most, of the key sites require walking a few blocks from the bus.

• Like 1

You can see very little from any of the multiple HOHO buses in Rome, due to narrow streets that buses cannot drive on.

It doesn't make much sense to go to the airport, then into the city, then back to the airport.  The wiser route would be to go directly to Rome Termini, where you can check your luggage while in the city.  Simply retrieve it when you're ready to head to the airport and jump on the train.

This is the luggage storage inside the station:  Deposito Bagagli KiPoint Roma Termini (kibag.it)

Keep in mind that even though the itinerary may say arrival at, say, 5 AM, that doesn't mean you'll be able to get off the ship.  Walk off with your luggage will be at least an hour later in most cases.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MajSteve said:

Hello: I am booked on Norwegian's transatlantic cruise on the Epic in April. (Can't wait!). I do, however, have a ridiculous layover in Rome after my cruise arrives. (8 hours). Been thinking of riding the train into Rome for a quick visit to the city center. Maybe a circuit on the Hop On/Off bus. Now to my question (finally)...Is there luggage storage at Leonardo da Vinci airport? I would like to store my carry-on bag securely so that I don't have to drag it around the city and look even more like a tourist than I do already! Have searched the web but can't seem to find any storage that would be easily available. Any information or advice would be welcome. Thanks a lot!

Check real time - if your flight is 8 hours after your ship is due in, you probably want to allow three hours at the airport before flight and at least one hour after ship is due in before you are off, then about an hour each way - to Rome and then to airport.  You are looking at perhaps two hours in Rome. If you are thinking of going to the airport first to store luggage and then into Rome, you are cutting time in Rome down to about one hour.

My serious suggestion is to change your flight to a day or two later so you can really see a bit of Rome (how many times are you going to be in the area?).   I am continually amazed at the number of people who unthinkingly fail to take advantage of great embarkation and debarkation ports while booking a cruise - focusing only on the cruise itself.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:14 PM, MajSteve said:

Hello:

The ho-ho bus only passes in front of some of the most interesting sites. The rest have relatively close stops but you will not see the interesting monument.

My suggestion...
Go from Civitavecchia to Rome by train. Remember that you can get off at any of three places before Termini (choose the itinerary and then choose the place where you get off).
Take a taxi. You put your suitcases in the trunk and forget about them. You tell him you want a two-hour tour (or whatever time you have).
To give you an idea, a car tour (according to google maps) that includes passing in front of the Vatican, Castel S.Angelo, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi, steps of the Spanish Steps, Santa Maria la Maggiore, Colosseum, Forum, etc... lasts between 1:20 and 1:30.
If your available time is only two hours, you will have time to see it from the taxi and stop in three or four places to take a photo and get back on the ride.... but you will tour Rome (and you will want to return).

According to this website, a two-hour ride should cost you around 60-70 euros (and two tickets on the ho-ho bus cost 66 euros)
https://www.comune.roma.it/web-resources/cms/documents/Tariffario_Taxi_REV.pdf

When the tour is over you tell him to take you to the airport. According to the same page, it is 50 euros more but you no longer have to look for a taxi. You choose the one that has already taken you.

There is no way you're going to get a taxi to drive around for two hours for just 60-70 euros.  They couldn't make a living at those rates!  It wouldn't cost as much as a car service, but it wouldn't be that cheap either.

For perspective, the fixed fare to the airport, a trip of between 45 - 60 minutes under normal conditions, is 50 euro.  For two hours on the meter you'd be looking at more than double that cost, again less than a car service but also with a non-English speaker driver, in most cases.

Edited by euro cruiser

Thanks for the many useful tips. I do have another quick question: My itinerary is Rome-London-Dallas-Garden City Kansas. Once my bag is checked in at Rome, will I have to reclaim it at the other stops to pass through customs or will it magically go to my stop in Dallas in order to clear USA  Customs? If I do decide to go into Rome, will I have to reclaim my bag and then recheck my bag again? Thanks for your continued assistance and patience!

You're coming off a ship in Rome, right?  If your cruise itinerary is all within the Schengen zone there is no customs check, not that it's anything to speak of anyway.

I haven't flown through the UK post-Brexit but I'm sure someone here has and can comment on whether or not you need to pick up and re-check your bags.

In the States you collect your bags and clear passport control and customs at your first point of entry, in your case Dallas, then recheck for the remainer of the trip.

If your travel is booked on one ticket number (and I know it is all electronic, but there is still a ticket number in the system) then your hold luggage is checked through from Rome to your entry point in the USA.  You stay "airside" in London, you don't touch UK immigration. 

Caution - this assumes a same-airport transfer.... London has six airports and some agents will book an itinerary which requires a change between airports.  This is major hassle to be avoided, not least because bags are never transferred and you need to clear UK immigration.

If the separate legs are on separate tickert numbers then your bags will never be checked through

So does this mean that if I leave the terminal security area in London, say to an airport hotel off of the airport, my bag will not be checked through? I have a 14 hour layover! Thanks...

8 minutes ago, MajSteve said:

So does this mean that if I leave the terminal security area in London, say to an airport hotel off of the airport, my bag will not be checked through? I have a 14 hour layover! Thanks...

Hello

For what you're asking, what's relevant is not customs itself but alliances between airlines. If you travel on the same airline all the time you will be assured. If not, it depends on the alliances there are. Is what you have bought a single ticket or is it a ticket to London, another ticket to...?

In other words. If, when delivering your luggage, they put a Kansas tag, don't worry at all. It is a single ticket and you must pick it up in Kansas. You will arrive in London, you go to the airport and get back up. Your luggage tag will let you know which plane to take it on. For obvious reasons, the suitcase will always go on the same plane that you are traveling on and the airport staff will take care of the rest.

I have a relative who does this at another airport and he taught me what automatic baggage handling was like. They have a waiting luggage area. That is, when more than 4 hours pass since it is delivered (when the connection is more than 4 hours or when the passenger obtains the boarding pass more than 4 hours old).
So don't worry.

• 2 weeks later...