Mexican Riviera vs. Pacific Coastal Cruise

I'm debating between a mexican riviera vs. pacific coastal cruise. I do have concerns that the pacific coastal cruise will be rough which is my hesitation regarding that cruise. For mexican riviera i mainly want to go to puerta vallarta and not sure about taking the whole cruise for that reason. I'm not so interested in Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan. I'm thinking for both cruises i could do land vacations instead but san diego and san francisco both have expensive hotel prices. The cruise i'm looking at the cruise is in port in san diego and san francisco 8-10pm so could see quite a bit. Anyways just thinking out loud here. Are there other considerations?

We will be taking our third Pacific Coastal Cruise in April. We have family in San Diego so that will be a full day that we will get to spend with them. San Francisco has become one of our favorite cities to visit. So much to do and lots of good restaurants. We always start planning to take the Mexican Riviera Cruise but always end up booking the Pacific Coastal Cruise. Not sure what the ports are on the cruise you are considering, but Santa Barbara and Catalina Island are both very nice ports. Just my two cents worth!

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Are there other considerations?

Weather would be a big one for me on the Pacific Coastal route.  I would prefer the nicer weather of Mexico.   What time of year are you considering?  

34 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

The pacific coastal i am looking at is in may

San Diego tends to be cloudy along the coast during May.  Locals have expressions for May and June  -   "May Grey" and "June Gloom."  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks. I guess there is a reason they make these spring pacific coastals cheap! I assume weather is ok in mexico in november?

Its the end of hurricane season in November. It can be quite warm and humid the further south in Mexico you go.

32 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

Oh no! I didn't realize it was hurricane season! Maybe i should push to December?

It's the end, and the Pacific side doesn't get the number of hurricanes the Atlantic side has. But they do get them.

I posted in trip advisor and the san diego people didn't think fog was that big a deal. They said there is fog in early morning - it burns off - then fog late afternoon but not every day. Better fog than a hurricane!

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I posted in trip advisor and the san diego people didn't think fog was that big a deal. They said there is fog in early morning - it burns off - then fog late afternoon but not every day. Better fog than a hurricane!

I'm in San Francisco.  Our morning coastal fog clears about 11am and can return in the evenings, sometimes as early as 330 or 4pm.  That's 'our winter'.  Rain is possible any time, and this year we're have a LOT of it ... very grateful for that.  I'd do the PCC in May or October.  

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

san diego people didn't think fog was that big a deal

It really depends on what you want to do.  Just don't plan on a beach day!

32 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I'd do the PCC in May or October.  

From the San Diego perspective I would pick October for clearer skies and sun.

17 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I'm debating between a mexican riviera vs. pacific coastal cruise. I do have concerns that the pacific coastal cruise will be rough which is my hesitation regarding that cruise. For mexican riviera i mainly want to go to puerta vallarta and not sure about taking the whole cruise for that reason. I'm not so interested in Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlan. I'm thinking for both cruises i could do land vacations instead but san diego and san francisco both have expensive hotel prices. The cruise i'm looking at the cruise is in port in san diego and san francisco 8-10pm so could see quite a bit. Anyways just thinking out loud here. Are there other considerations?

I don't have a lot to say, but I want to note that I've done BOTH the Riv (March '23) and the Coastal (April '22).  Both were enjoyable in their own ways.  IIRC, we had plenty of sun for both.  But I was surprised by how cool the temperatures were, especially north of Ensenada. 

We have done both more than once over the years.  As far as rough sea concerns, I can't identify one itinerary really being any different than another.   To me either one of these itineraries can be fun.  Maybe factor in the ship if one appeals more than the other.  I also think if you have not been to those places, you make good points about seeing SF and San Diego from the cruise ship.   Maybe Santa Barbara too.  

• Like 2

Thanks both. Its so hard! Ships are very different. Mexican cruise is norwegian bliss which i like as solo gatherings but not its big size, pacific coastal is on sapphire princess and i like its small size, Maybe i’ll have to do both!

• Like 5

On 2/7/2024 at 12:17 PM, latebuyer said:

Thanks for the reply.The pacific coastal i am looking at is in may and i am looking at a mexican riviera in november 

November is still part of hurricane season in Mexic0.