Questions about Eclipse

I have been reading the reviews on CC about Eclipse.  They are not good for condition of ship and quality of food.  Has anyone been on her recently and can give their insights?  Is it likely she will have a drydock and refurbishment before January 2025?

We were on the Eclipse for a B2B2B2B last spring.  We were in two different staterooms.  Both staterooms were in excellent condition but the color scheme was rather dated.  Crew were happy and upbeat.  We are scheduled to spend a month on the Eclipse later this year and have no concerns.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We were on the Eclipse for a B2B2B2B last spring.  We were in two different staterooms.  Both staterooms were in excellent condition but the color scheme was rather dated.  Crew were happy and upbeat.  We are scheduled to spend a month on the Eclipse later this year and have no concerns.

Yes...the orange/brown is very dull.  Will be good if/when they revolutionize.

We will be on Eclipse this Fall.  Can anyone confirm whether there are still

books in library ?

Still prefer hard copies over my Kindl, but don t want to bring too many.

Eclipse library had books in December 2023. Food and service were both excellent. The ship needs some work. Our balcony was pretty decrepit. Carpeting needs to be replaced, and yes, the decor is dated. 

Just disembarked Saturday.

Overall ship is maintained in excellent condition. If you care to look very closely there are some worn furnishings, chipped tiles, etc.

The MDR menus are varied, quality is ok to quite good.

Oceanview has a huge selection, quality varies.

The friendliness of the crew is outstanding, no staff shortages evident.

Officers out walking everywhere.

The library sadly has only maybe 25% of its shelves filled with books and is mostly used as a nap room!

I would not hesitate to sail this ship again.

IMG_3751.jpeg

IMG_3577.jpeg

IMG_3578.jpeg

IMG_3572.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, poinsettiaplate said:

I have been reading the reviews on CC about Eclipse.  They are not good for condition of ship and quality of food.  Has anyone been on her recently and can give their insights?  Is it likely she will have a drydock and refurbishment before January 2025?

No complaints from us about the ship or the staff on our October 2023 Eclipse cruise. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Will be good if/when they revolutionize.

We’ll be on the Eclipse this fall and I’m happy she won’t have been revolutionized by then, as the forward-facing outdoor Solstice Deck (Deck 16) won’t have been closed off as the Retreat Sundeck. I hate what they did to the Silhouette. 

• Like 1

According to a Cruise Critic article updated last October (https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles/upcoming-cruise-ship-refurbishments#celebrity-has-multiple-refurbishments-planned-for-older-ships), Eclipse is scheduled for next Spring:

"Ship: Celebrity Eclipse

Dates: Spring 2025

Details: Celebrity Eclipse is slated for all new carpeting in this drydock along with new draperies. All staterooms and suites will get new balcony furniture and the galley is getting new equipment."

It is possible that schedule has changed.

I've only been on 3-4 Celebrity cruises and Eclipse is now my favorite ship.  Not renovated by Kelly Hoppen so still a lot of storage.  It has Murano, which I liked but my husband did not, as much.  He prefers Tuscan for the view.  And a real balcony not IV.  Ensemble Lounge was my favorite bar.  Relaxing but not LOUD music like the Martini Bar which I went to a few times.  

No it wasn't perfect.  One drawer in our cabin was kind of coming apart but it was ok.

I'm cruising on Millie in 10 months.  I don't think I'll like it as much.  No Murano.  Things seem a bit limited compared to S class.  And Kelly removed most of the storage in the Sky Suites.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:58 PM, poinsettiaplate said:

I was looking it up because I was considering a cruise on her this summer. No way, she is not scheduled for refurbishment until the Spring of 25 so I would say no go for you in Jan.

I read on another post how bad the staterooms are last year so it will only get worse. I have only been on the Beyond so I am only willing to go on a new ship or a refurbished one.

1 hour ago, FloridaGram said:

I was looking it up because I was considering a cruise on her this summer. No way, she is not scheduled for refurbishment until the Spring of 25 so I would say no go for you in Jan.

I read on another post how bad the staterooms are last year so it will only get worse. I have only been on the Beyond so I am only willing to go on a new ship or a refurbished one.

I disagree with the reviews.  I’m was on the Eclipse two months ago.  It was quite nice.  I have been on the Beyond.

• Like 4

On 2/8/2024 at 11:41 AM, zitsky said:

I'm cruising on Millie in 10 months.  I don't think I'll like it as much.  No Murano.  Things seem a bit limited compared to S class.  And Kelly removed most of the storage in the Sky Suites.

I haven't been on the Millie, but the Summit (also a "Revolutionized" M-class ship) is the ship I've sailed on the most. There are some features of the newer ships that I miss on the Summit, but there are also features of the Summit that I prefer to S- and E-class ships. Storage is actually one of the things I prefer on the Summit (I've only sailed in Concierge and Aqua classes, not suites). 

The Summit is actually my friend's favorite Celebrity ship. Hopefully you'll enjoy its sister Millie.

1 hour ago, Carried_Away said:

I haven't been on the Millie, but the Summit (also a "Revolutionized" M-class ship) is the ship I've sailed on the most. There are some features of the newer ships that I miss on the Summit, but there are also features of the Summit that I prefer to S- and E-class ships. Storage is actually one of the things I prefer on the Summit (I've only sailed in Concierge and Aqua classes, not suites). 

The Summit is actually my friend's favorite Celebrity ship. Hopefully you'll enjoy its sister Millie.

Were any restaurants added to the Summit during the refurbishment?

• Haha 1

I am not seeing anything on Eclipse calendar between April 4 (TA to Portugal) and April 26 (Amsterdam departure for British Isles) next year.  We are on that British Isles cruise so 🤞

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I disagree with the reviews.  I’m was on the Eclipse two months ago.  It was quite nice.  I have been on the Beyond.

That is good to know. Maybe it was just that one room then that the person was describing. I would really like to go to Bermuda and that is the ship. Most of the ships in the northern ports are the older ones. We went on Royal last year from Pt Liberty. It was older but not bad so I am guessing Celebrity would be good.  Thanks for the comment!

8 hours ago, FloridaGram said:

That is good to know. Maybe it was just that one room then that the person was describing. I would really like to go to Bermuda and that is the ship. Most of the ships in the northern ports are the older ones. We went on Royal last year from Pt Liberty. It was older but not bad so I am guessing Celebrity would be good.  Thanks for the comment!

Warning: humor ahead.  Stop reading now!

Speaking of old and tired ships that no one should cruise on.  There was one major problem which completely ruined my cruise on the Eclipse.  

In our cabin, the top drawer was coming slightly apart and needed maintenance.  With that one major problem, I was unable to enjoy the excellent service, food and drinks in Blu, Murano, Tuscan, Martini Bar, and Cellar Masters.  

I could have reported it and Celebrity could fix it but I’d rather tell everyone what a horrible ship it is.  I spent all that money and Celebrity couldn’t have someone walking in front of me every day to make sure my cruise was perfect?

Oh and on the Eclipse, one time a family was rude to me in the Solarium during family hours.  I canceled the cruise and flew home the next day.  😭

So you can see why I’m not a big fan of Celebrity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

As my photos showed, I agree fully with zitsky.

A few nicks and scratches here or there but certainly nothing tired or worn out.

Plus an absolutely outstanding crew in all areas.

No need to wait for a drydock unless your main interest is searching for issues rather than having an enjoyable cruise.

• Like 5

On 2/8/2024 at 11:24 AM, ExArkie said:

All staterooms and suites will get new balcony furniture

Oh oh!  There goes the foot stools and reclining chairs.

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Oh oh!  There goes the foot stools and reclining chairs.

Ok this is not verified.   But I heard if your cabin is missing a footstool, Celebrity will upgrade you to a Celebrity Suite. Is that really true? 😂

/joke ok?

• Haha 1

We were just on the Eclipse in Nov/Dec b2b2b and she is in fine form.  Very lovely lady matter of fact.  It was the staff that made her special. No problems with the food and we certainly did not go away hungry. We ate all our dinners except one in the dining room and the same table. We liked the location.  . The staff were all wonderful.  

Please take some of the negative reviews with a grain of salt. Some people are just hard to please.  

• Like 3

I will be on the Eclipse this July for my first Celebrity sailing coming over from RCI. looking so forward to it. sometimes an older ship shows character and class.

• Like 1