infinite veranda, does anyone like these things?

sunsetme

9 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Actually we are very active in the climate movement and try and do our small part by not using AC in the evening.

On S and M Class you can't turn the Aircon off - just up and down. If you could you would have no fresh air as the system replaces the air in the cabin around 20 times an hour. Since Covid this air is not recycled it comes in one side of the ship and out the other.

On E class you can turn the aircon off in IV cabins but only by opening the window and I doubt if you would find that comfortable for any length of time. 

44 minutes ago, highway180 said:

Well

i guess you can't open your IV window then

It is only an issue if you lave either one open and then open your cabin door.

Thats what Ive been told

IV's are totally different. Opening the window turns the aircon off so there is no problem. Of course how long you will you be happy with with the atmosphere in the cabin (hot/cold/damp etc depending on what  is happening outside) for any length of time is another matter but you won't be affecting your neighbour or anyone else. 

In all other cabins all you can do is to turn the aircon up and down not off. 

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

On S and M Class you can't turn the Aircon off - just up and down. If you could you would have no fresh air as the system replaces the air in the cabin around 20 times an hour. Since Covid this air is not recycled it comes in one side of the ship and out the other.

On E class you can turn the aircon off in IV cabins but only by opening the window and I doubt if you would find that comfortable for any length of time. 

Update on the above. Just checked the changes Royals/Celebrity introduced due to Covid and the actual figures quoted are:  in cabins the air is replaced 12 times an hour: in public spaces 15 times an hour. No air is recycled - in  one side and out the other. 

We sailed in an IV on the Apex and very much disliked it. As others have said, it’s a window, not a veranda. We will only sail on E-class ships if Sunset verandas are available or we can do a suite. In that instance, maybe Celebrity’s strategy worked, because we are booking more Sky Suites. 

Ultimately, we like the S and M class ships more when doing verandas or AQ. 

Dale

• Like 3

Celebrity could have had their cake and eat it too and not have created all this controversy if they had used an existing architectural term that most people know, a Juliet or French Balcony, which is exactly what an Infinite Veranda is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balconet

https://balconies.global/traditional-balcony-methods/juliet-balconies/#:~:text=Made famous by Shakespeare%2C made,floor of a residential development.

https://bayareacablerailing.com/french-balcony-vs-juliet-whats-the-difference/#:~:text=a Juliet balcony is simple,you can lean out of.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Celebrity could have had their cake and eat it too and not have created all this controversy if they had used an existing architectural term that most people know, a Juliet or French Balcony, which is exactly what an Infinite Veranda is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balconet

https://balconies.global/traditional-balcony-methods/juliet-balconies/#:~:text=Made famous by Shakespeare%2C made,floor of a residential development.

https://bayareacablerailing.com/french-balcony-vs-juliet-whats-the-difference/#:~:text=a Juliet balcony is simple,you can lean out of.

I disagree.  I don't think those terms fit either.  When you look at the pictures you will notice doors that go outside.  The veranda on these vary from a foot to almost 3 feet of balcony.  You may not be able to lay down and lounge, but you can stand up outside.  IMHO a french balcony is a short balcony.  Not a nonexistent balcony.

Not so on the IVs.  It is just an open/close window...

Edited by NMTraveller

25 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Your superiority complex appears to have blinded you to reality. 

"Superiority complex" may be a bit strong RY, but I'll give it to you if it makes you feel good. I will counter with confidence and assuredness that my research into what I am spending my dollars on enables me to understand more about what I am buying. That way, I own the transaction and I am totally responsible for the results. Post #156 says it perfectly. They cruised in an IV, they did not like it, they will never cruise in one again. Concise and to the point. As to blinded by reality, my eyes are wide open and the reality that I see is a Celebrity cabin category that works for me. It's okay that an IV cabin does not work for you or anyone else who considers them to be an aberration. I like "these things", you don't. I will book 'em, you won't. It's as easy as that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

"Superiority complex" may be a bit strong RY, but I'll give it to you if it makes you feel good. I will counter with confidence and assuredness that my research into what I am spending my dollars on enables me to understand more about what I am buying. That way, I own the transaction and I am totally responsible for the results. Post #156 says it perfectly. They cruised in an IV, they did not like it, they will never cruise in one again. Concise and to the point. As to blinded by reality, my eyes are wide open and the reality that I see is a Celebrity cabin category that works for me. It's okay that an IV cabin does not work for you or anyone else who considers them to be an aberration. I like "these things", you don't. I will book 'em, you won't. It's as easy as that. 

You and I are very much alike in the amount of due diligence we do when selecting a cabin on a cruise ship. Where we differ is that I don’t disrespect those that simply book a cruise without that level of research. I certainly don’t blame this group when the stateroom they booked with “veranda” in the title doesn’t actually have a veranda. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We loved it! It made the stateroom larger. We loved the fresh air.

It was in December and the air was beautiful, maybe in a humid environment I would feel different? We left the blinds open just a little on the bottom so we would wake up gently.  (Yes a little...little noisy when sleeping, but we're used to noises at sea at night). 

6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You and I are very much alike in the amount of due diligence we do when selecting a cabin on a cruise ship. Where we differ is that I don’t disrespect those that simply book a cruise without that level of research. I certainly don’t blame this group when the stateroom they booked with “veranda” in the title doesn’t actually have a veranda. 

Again, RY, disrespect is kind of strong, but I'll give it to you if it makes you feel good. I do not empathize with anyone who berates Celebrity because of differences in how one defines veranda. If you want to play that game, you deserve what you get. And you know what, Celebrity does not have to draw it up according to anyone's specifications except their own. Shouting down X because of a lack of due diligence and a lackadaisical attitude about what one is spending lots of money on, deserves no support. It's a lesson learned.

C'mon, RY. It takes no effort at all to read about IV cabins. It's not about how one defines veranda. It's about how one accepts the functionality of its design. If you book an IV and you don't like it, it's on you. Noone else. I like "these things." 

We liked them but only when we could get them via move up over an OV for a couple hundred dollars.  No way we liked them enough to pay full price, which seems to be the concensus and why we can get them dirt cheap via move up.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

How ? 
Each cabin has its own fan coil unit , with a separate heating and cooling coil 

The aircon is connected in pairs so yes it does affect your neighbour as it puts extra stress on the whole system.

The instruction on the balcony door is very clear.

If you want a more technical explanation ask one of the Engineering Officers next time you are on a cruise -  Great topic of conversation at the Senior Officers Event.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, the penguins said:

IV's are totally different. Opening the window turns the aircon off so there is no problem. Of course how long you will you be happy with with the atmosphere in the cabin (hot/cold/damp etc depending on what  is happening outside) for any length of time is another matter but you won't be affecting your neighbour or anyone else. 

In all other cabins all you can do is to turn the aircon up and down not off. 

Thank you for enlightening me. As stated earlier, i have had experience with both, and quite familiar with the hvac operation.

1 hour ago, highway180 said:

Thank you for enlightening me. As stated earlier, i have had experience with both, and quite familiar with the hvac operation.

Sorry if I misread your earlier post in which I understood you to say that it was ok to leave the balcony door open provided the cabin door was closed. It was that statement I was seeking to clarify as it is incorrect.

We got an I V for the price of an inside on our last cruise. First time on an an icon class ship. We appreciated the openness and airy feeling it provides. Beats an inside every time but I don't think I'd pay extra for it.

Edited by mac66

Our first experience with IV type room was on a river cruise. We really liked it for the view. We would have loved having an IV room for Alaska, it was miserable being out on the balcony and our views were obstructed both above and on the side- we were on an RCCL ship. We went on Beyond and loved the IV room, for the extra room and found the view to be fine. We are going on the Ascent in March, not because of the itinerary, but because of the ship. We have never booked a cruise for a ship, we aren't even cruise people! I have thought about booking a Canada cruise, but I am not sure I will enjoy the older ships as much. If it was an E class ship, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Is the square footage for an IV the same as cabin+balcony sq ft?

I do think people should do their homework.  I had a recent conversation with someone who thought they had a butler in a CC because TA said so.  Should Celebrity be required to give him one, because he didn’t bother to confirm?

Edited by zitsky
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

How ? 
Each cabin has its own fan coil unit , with a separate heating and cooling coil 

That’s not what I’ve heard from engineers on board..maybe they are wrong..maybe the infinite verandas are different..

I know a cruise I was on in the Caribbean on the Equinox, the cabins right around mine were all complaining about the AC at night, turns out they found the culprit a few doors down, sleeping with door open all night..they said the cabins work in groups or something like that with the AC..it got much better the remainder of the cruise. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

That’s not what I’ve heard from engineers on board..maybe they are wrong..maybe the infinite verandas are different..

I know a cruise I was on in the Caribbean on the Equinox, the cabins right around mine were all complaining about the AC at night, turns out they found the culprit a few doors down, sleeping with door open all night..they said the cabins work in groups or something like that with the AC..it got much better the remainder of the cruise. 

If that was the case , why have a stat in each cabin ? 

9 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

If that was the case , why have a stat in each cabin ? 

The stat only enables you to turn the settings up and down not off. With your the balcony door left open this puts a strain on the whole system as it tries to maintain the temperature you have set against the massive inflow of uncontrolled air from outside. Clearly you don't want to accept that your actions can/will  affect passengers in the adjoining cabin(s). Just ask an Engineer/Environmental  Officer on the ship and he/she will happy to give you a detailed explanation.