need info on below waterline cabins

screwsmcernst

We just booked a below the waterline cabin on a 2025 AMA Waterways Christmas Market cruise last week, so I'm glad to see all the above responses!  We figured the same as other posters:  not in our room much, cold weather & dark early.  We saved a good amount by not choosing a French balcony cabin & will use that savings towards another trip next year.

We booked the last below the waterline cabin on that cruise, so others have the same thoughts as us!

5 minutes ago, wnycruisefam said:

We booked the last below the waterline cabin on that cruise, so others have the same thoughts as us!

I watch V river trips (Rhine, Danube) and often see the Veranda and up sell out first.  IMHO I'm guessing many who cruise infrequently lean for the less 'economy'.   Don't know if this pattern is true for other itineraries.

20 hours ago, greydog said:

I watch V river trips (Rhine, Danube) and often see the Veranda and up sell out first.  IMHO I'm guessing many who cruise infrequently lean for the less 'economy'.   Don't know if this pattern is true for other itineraries.

I have friends who won't book Aquarium Class as they want a full sized window/sliding door.  Doesn't matter what the itinerary is.  

The cost to upgrade to a balcony (French or otherwise) can be quite significant...  If I have that money to spend, I would sooner pay for Premium Economy air fare.  Or - an extra night or two on land before or after the cruise.  But - that is just me!!

Fran

• Like 5

On 2/11/2024 at 12:41 PM, wnycruisefam said:

We just booked a below the waterline cabin on a 2025 AMA Waterways Christmas Market cruise last week, so I'm glad to see all the above responses!  We figured the same as other posters:  not in our room much, cold weather & dark early.  We saved a good amount by not choosing a French balcony cabin & will use that savings towards another trip next year.

What week are you sailing, and what river?  

7 hours ago, franski said:

I have friends who won't book Aquarium Class as they want a full sized window/sliding door.  Doesn't matter what the itinerary is.  

The cost to upgrade to a balcony (French or otherwise) can be quite significant...  If I have that money to spend, I would sooner pay for Premium Economy air fare.  Or - an extra night or two on land before or after the cruise.  But - that is just me!!

Fran

that is exactly what we decided to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

question for previous travelers about wine we bring onboard.  Are we allowed to open and pour in our cabin and walk around the ship or sit in the lounge, with a glass without being charged a fee?

Enjoying in your cabin is not an issue. I’m not sure what the policy is for drinking in the lounge. You may want to check with your specific cruise line.

2 hours ago, YoungDubFan said:

Enjoying in your cabin is not an issue. I’m not sure what the policy is for drinking in the lounge. You may want to check with your specific cruise line.

You may bring and drink liquor that you have purchased off-ship.  They will even bring you glasses and uncork bottles for you.  Upon returning to the ship you will not be nearly-frisked for "contraband bottles", as many ocean lines do.  Even Viking Ocean allows this we have heard.

12 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

question for previous travelers about wine we bring onboard.  Are we allowed to open and pour in our cabin and walk around the ship or sit in the lounge, with a glass without being charged a fee?

As a Viking many times repeat cruiser, I can tell you with confidence that you can bring wine, beer, or spirits on the ship without concern.  You will never be charged a penny.

You can pour in your cabin and bring to the lounge or consume anywhere on the ship.  No one will bat an eye.

We often buy bottles of wine when we go on winery tours and bring them to the dining room to consume with our meal.  The server will open, pour, and give you best wishes to enjoy the wine!

We were most recently on a River Ship (Viking) over both Christmas and New Year's Eve.  We bought wine off the ship for both of these nights and brought them to the dining room.

BUT - remember that Viking pour unlimited refills of wine and beer at lunch and dinner, so if you are ok with the wines that they are offering, you don't have to bring anything on board.  Many will ask their server to top up their glass before they leave the dining room and carry that glass to the lounge.

• Like 2

Ive always had my laptop backpack that I keep with me until I get access to the room.  Im pretty sure my mother just gave them her carryon the last time as well. The fact that I dont even remember the answer tells me its a non-issue.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, screwsmcernst said:

Next question:  Ama Waterways says we can have 1 bag of luggage each.  Is that one in total?  or is that 1 that they bring to your cabin and we can bring a carry on our selves as well?

In reality you can have as much luggage as you want.  We have sailed on AMA four times, including one post-cruise extension, and nobody paid any attention to how much luggage we had.  [We bring one big suitcase, one carry-on suitcase, and one "personal item" each – and the crew grabbed all of them right from the taxi.]

• Like 2

On 2/21/2024 at 4:18 AM, CDNPolar said:

• Viking include one excursion in each port - do Emerald?

Except that the Viking excursions are almost always a cheap walking tour you can do  at your own pace alone.

On 2/8/2024 at 5:43 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

a middle deck French Balcony is our minimum: quiet with cabins above and below insulating us from noise, and a wall of windows giving lots of light and views much of the time and fresh air when desired.

I love them because you can shoot the breeze with people walking along the tow path right next to the water level French Balconies.

On 2/12/2024 at 5:12 PM, screwsmcernst said:

It’s easier to get forgiveness than to ask permission. Snag a wine glass from the bar . . .

25 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

It’s easier to get forgiveness than to ask permission. Snag a wine glass from the bar . . .

No big deal---they will uncork and pour it for you if you'd like, at no charge.  Or pour it yourself.  They don't care---there is no one frisking you when you reboard the ship!  Walk around the ship with your store-bought wine, bathe in it, whatever, they don't care!!!!

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 10:12 PM, screwsmcernst said:

What the sharkster says.

On my first Viking cruise I brought a wine from home with me because I didn't know what the included wine on board was like. (pretty good actually)

On subsequent cruises I have bought wine during the journey from wineries and wine shops along the way. Waiters happy to open bottles for you and pour your wine for you. Take glass from restaurant to your cabin  or ask for glasses at bar if wine glasses not supplied in your cabin.

• Like 2