By Invitation Only — EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR SEABOURN CLUB MEMBERS Dear Valued Gold Guest,

Latest mailing this morning for new cruises September 25 to March 26 - shame that the link takes you those cruises over 6 pages of which all but one are "SOLD OUT" and no prices! So much for "Valued" Guest.

When will they get their act together

• Haha 1

Yup, same old story as before. And everyone will tell you the solution is simple, just call your TA to get a price as the cruises are not “sold out”. Not helpful and a waste of time for TAs unless you are ready to book. Seems like Seabourn did not get the message the last time and fix their technology and find a better way to communicate special offers with their loyal customers.  

I have just received the same email again but with the titles prefixed by “CORRECTION:”. Trouble is the content of the email seems unchanged and the link still goes to sold out cruises.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DaveA said:

I have just received the same email again but with the titles prefixed by “CORRECTION:”. Trouble is the content of the email seems unchanged and the link still goes to sold out cruises.

Same here 

The cruises aren't sold out.  They aren't available to the general public since this is a pre-release for Club members.  You have to call.  In the US I called Seabourn and they gave me the pricing.  Not sure what access travel agents have (they may have to call Seabourn and provide your Club number).  The good news is that some of the prices at least from our observation were pretty good.  The bad news is that Seabourn's website needs some work.  The good news is Seabourn's website is a little better than sister company Cunard's website, which is a relic of 2001.

31 minutes ago, stan01 said:

The cruises aren't sold out.  They aren't available to the general public since this is a pre-release for Club members.  You have to call.  In the US I called Seabourn and they gave me the pricing.  Not sure what access travel agents have (they may have to call Seabourn and provide your Club number).  The good news is that some of the prices at least from our observation were pretty good.  The bad news is that Seabourn's website needs some work.  The good news is Seabourn's website is a little better than sister company Cunard's website, which is a relic of 2001.

Realise they are not really sold out - SB just use that when they do not want to take any bookings online such as when they are offering upgrades etc. Also realise

you need to be a club member, but there must be at least 90 different cruises, are we expected to  telephone and ask for the price of them all? Our cruise choice is based on a mixture of location and price  - and the latter factor is missing.

Am I being to simple but surely if you log in as a club member you should be able to see the prices?

UK TA' s can get special prices but also have to call SB in the UK (mostly closed at weekends).

17 hours ago, DaveA said:

Also got this "Correction" - tried "spot the difference" but gave up!

• Like 2

If you want to be polite to your travel agent call Seabourn to get the quotes because they are the ones with the archaic IT system forcing their employee to sit on the phone for 20-30 minutes giving manual price quotes.  We asked for quotes on 9 cruises Friday, each with a PH and V2.  The lady who helped us was very nice and efficient (US customer).

We have received the same emails. I will have to admit to looking askance at most of Seabourn's marketing.  We tend to choose the itineraries we most want to experience.  Not a money saving decision, but it works for us.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It wouldn’t kill anyone at Seabourn Marketing to say something in their silly campaign ads about how to book ie call TA or direct and give your Gold loyalty number. Or not bother marketing nonsense and confusing everybody.

I mean, really.

Happy and healthy sailing! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, stan01 said:

If you want to be polite to your travel agent call Seabourn to get the quotes because they are the ones with the archaic IT system forcing their employee to sit on the phone for 20-30 minutes giving manual price quotes.  We asked for quotes on 9 cruises Friday, each with a PH and V2.  The lady who helped us was very nice and efficient (US customer).

The issue is that those of us who book through decent discount travel/cruise agencies will get a better deal than booking direct from Sebourn.  One strategy would be to book with SB, and than quickly transfer the booking to one's travel/cruise agency and get it ":enhanced" with a generous OBC (or discount).  But it is a pain in the behind.

Hank

Same problem with email for diamond members.  I always call Seabourn to book and then transfer to my travel agent who gives me a lovely percentage off and often a nice complimentary excursion.

Linda

• Like 1

As just one example, Costco has certain items that display on their website as 'Member only pricing' and require logging in to verify membership to see the price. I'm pretty sure a freshman IT student could write 'If this, then that' code for Seabourn club levels so that appropriate pricing could be shown (or not shown if the member is not a past pax). While better pricing can usually be obtained from a TA it's very helpful to have the SB website pricing as a baseline to decide whether to bother your TA.

Additionally, whether it's TA's doing needless legwork or Seabourn having to devote employee resources to compensate for lack of basic website functionality, we pax pay for the inefficiencies in marginally higher prices (which TA's/Cruise lines set, in part, by the cost of providing services). Home office idiocy, bad management, bad websites, etc. are not cost free and nor is 'you can remedy it later with someone in Seabourn Square' cost free.

Finally, as an aside, if they don't want to display prices yet, wouldn't it be better to show it as "Coming Soon!", not as unavailable, or worse, sold out? Lost business resulting in steep discounting later, while beneficial to those getting deals, is paid for by higher prices elsewhere and/or lower quality onboard product.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been bombarded with emails from Seabourn lately.  The latest one this evening mentions several cruises which they say are by invitation only (?). How does that work?  They are all  Spring 2025 and each includes a special event of some sort.  The issue for me is that they are all quite short.  Once we haul ourselves over to Europe we want to sail a bit longer.  I'll take another look in the morning.  The email says there is a 20% savings.  I am always suspicious.  And curiously, where do I go to see the itineraries?  If the cruises are exclusive and by invitation only--I am assuming they would not be on the website?  But no itinerary is shown in the email.  Maybe I am missing something.  All the cruises in "the Collection" are aboard Venture, but they are in Spain, France, and the Med--not in areas where there would usually be expeditions.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 11:49 PM, SLSD said:

I've been bombarded with emails from Seabourn lately.  The latest one this evening mentions several cruises which they say are by invitation only (?). How does that work?  They are all  Spring 2025 and each includes a special event of some sort.  The issue for me is that they are all quite short.  Once we haul ourselves over to Europe we want to sail a bit longer.  I'll take another look in the morning.  The email says there is a 20% savings.  I am always suspicious.  And curiously, where do I go to see the itineraries?  If the cruises are exclusive and by invitation only--I am assuming they would not be on the website?  But no itinerary is shown in the email.  Maybe I am missing something.  All the cruises in "the Collection" are aboard Venture, but they are in Spain, France, and the Med--not in areas where there would usually be expeditions.  

I will be on Venture next month in Spain, France, and the Med, plus northern Africa, ending in England. Not all Venture cruises are expedition-y itineraries.

3 hours ago, Mahogany said:

I will be on Venture next month in Spain, France, and the Med, plus northern Africa, ending in England. Not all Venture cruises are expedition-y itineraries.

I know that not all Venture cruises are expeditions,  but I think the ship is lacking for the regular cruises in terms of dining venues and entertainment.  Perhaps that is just me--but if I sail on Venture, it will be an expedition.  Your mileage and desires may be different.  

Edited by SLSD

14 hours ago, SLSD said:

I know that not all Venture cruises are expeditions,  but I think the ship is lacking for the regular cruises in terms of dining venues and entertainment.  Perhaps that is just me--but if I sail on Venture, it will be an expedition.  Your mileage and desires may be different.  

I agree. I will miss the restaurant variety - only Restaurant and Colonnade, and sushi in the Club - and because I've visited the standard expedition areas, I am going for the ship experience. It may well be "one and done" though I have booked her for Newfoundland to Barbados in Sept. I wish they'd have built another classic instead of Pursuit, but I guess the plan is always to build more than one while you have the design.

Rang TA for a quote as stated and told they can’t live access the pricing on the new releases and they also have to call Seabourn.

Hassle and time wasting for everyone   especially when requesting numerous permutations of suite and back to backs

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Isr45 said:

Rang TA for a quote as stated and told they can’t live access the pricing on the new releases and they also have to call Seabourn.

Hassle and time wasting for everyone   especially when requesting numerous permutations of suite and back to backs

I agree.  This should have been seamless.   

3 hours ago, Mahogany said:

I agree. I will miss the restaurant variety - only Restaurant and Colonnade, and sushi in the Club - and because I've visited the standard expedition areas, I am going for the ship experience. It may well be "one and done" though I have booked her for Newfoundland to Barbados in Sept. I wish they'd have built another classic instead of Pursuit, but I guess the plan is always to build more than one while you have the design.

And since we don't eat sushi, our dining opportunities are very narrow.  I WOULD try an expedition cruise, but not a regular cruise on an expedition ship.  I do think that SB is having a bit of difficulty selling the concept of a non expedition cruise on an expedition ship.  

11 minutes ago, SLSD said:

And since we don't eat sushi, our dining opportunities are very narrow.  I WOULD try an expedition cruise, but not a regular cruise on an expedition ship.  I do think that SB is having a bit of difficulty selling the concept of a non expedition cruise on an expedition ship.  

“Expedition”, need not be defined as Antarctic or Arctic (as is usually thought), but rather should be regarded as travelling to unknown or less travelled unique locations, of which there are many in the world.  We just need the people who design the itineraries to realize that!

25 minutes ago, Sunprince said:

“Expedition”, need not be defined as Antarctic or Arctic (as is usually thought), but rather should be regarded as travelling to unknown or less travelled unique locations, of which there are many in the world.  We just need the people who design the itineraries to realize that!

I know that Sunprince.  There are all kinds of expeditions, but they do differ from classic cruises.  I have not been sent itineraries for the invitation only cruises on Venture.  They are in the Med.  If they are true expeditions, Seabourn needs to send the itinerary and particulars along with their invitation.  The way I understand it, Venture (and Pursuit) are doing some cruises which are NOT expeditions--which also means excursions are NOT included as they are on true expeditions.  It was not made clear in the "invitation only" cruises which kinds of cruises on the Venture are being offered.  

Edited by SLSD

28 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I know that Sunprince.  There are all kinds of expeditions, but they do differ from classic cruises.  I have not been sent itineraries for the invitation only cruises on Venture.  They are in the Med.  If they are true expeditions, Seabourn needs to send the itinerary and particulars along with their invitation.  The way I understand it, Venture (and Pursuit) are doing some cruises which are NOT expeditions--which also means excursions are NOT included as they are on true expeditions.  It was not made clear in the "invitation only" cruises which kinds of cruises on the Venture are being offered.  

You're wrong about the excursions. Most of the ports I'm visiting include complimentary excursions, e.g. a visit to Giverny and a cruise on the Seine (classic ships would probably not be able to do this). A glance at my voyage March 19 - April 14 may surprise you with the range of free excursions as well as the smaller ports we're visiting that likely could not accommodate the classic ships.

But I get it: no sushi, no expedition ships to non-expedition locations. Great we have choices.