Silver Spirits Beverage Package - Spouse Doesn't Drink...

BradDFWTX

Thinking about buying this package for our cruise next week (Polaris - Antarctic), I notice that they only sell it for two if you are in the room with someone else (as in my wife). She doesn't drink alcohol...so, anyone been able to do this package without paying for two people? Seems like a fleecing...I do like to drink and I do like the good stuff...not necessarily worried about the money, it's more principle, I understand Viking's reasoning...but when your spouse doesn't drink, well, hooey! Such is life, I suppose. Appreciate input from those that have or have not been successful with this.

My knowledge on this is that you cannot do this before actually being on the ship and appealing to Guest Services.  You may have to talk with the manager.

They of course do this so that the "non-drinker" does not down the shot when the server turns their back.  I am NOT saying this is your situation... but you know that there are many that will do anything to save a buck.

The one time that I know this was done was when a friend of ours was travelling with her 18 year old granddaughter.  They would not talk to her online or on the phone about it.  She appealed to the Guest Services Manager and then the Beverage manager once on the ship and she got approval.

• Like 1

You may find it just as easy and satisfying to pay as you go, for you. Nothing is outrageously priced.

I suppose you might even surprise yourself and like the included wine at lunch or dinner … but I wouldn’t count on it. 

• Like 4

I also suggest you pay as you go.  On our cruise in Oct 2023, wine or beer by the glass was $8  with no other fees added.  I don't know of a restaurant where you can get a glass of wine for $8.

We have also carried wine on board.  NO CORKAGE fee.

Enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On some lines, one person in cabin can buy a beverage package.  My husband has done it. I don’t drink anything alcoholic. I prefer tea, coffee, soda, and water. On Viking, they insisted that both of us had to buy.  We chose to not buy it. My husband paid by the drink. In reality, he didn’t spend that much. Itinerary was port intensive.  

20 hours ago, Redtravel said:

On some lines, one person in cabin can buy a beverage package.  My husband has done it. I don’t drink anything alcoholic. I prefer tea, coffee, soda, and water. On Viking, they insisted that both of us had to buy.  We chose to not buy it. My husband paid by the drink. In reality, he didn’t spend that much. Itinerary was port intensive.  

I know the lines we've sailed so far, both adults had to buy it. I know we haven't sailed on all of them, LOL! But I'd be surprised if a line let only 1 adult buy the drink package. Now, non-alcoholic, yes, we've done that many times.

Got back last week from the Viking Polaris - what a FUN / EPIC cruise!! So, as a followup to the question I posed: on the first day - once onboard and having lunch I asked our server about purchasing the package and explained that my wife did not drink alcohol at all. She checked with her supervisor and it was A-OK and they sold / charged the package to just me, not for both of us. I did try the house wine and it was not so much to my liking. I definitely did enjoy the premium wines and had many nice drinks throughout the cruise and definitely came out ahead spend-wise by purchasing the package. Cheers!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BradDFWTX said:

Got back last week from the Viking Polaris - what a FUN / EPIC cruise!! So, as a followup to the question I posed: on the first day - once onboard and having lunch I asked our server about purchasing the package and explained that my wife did not drink alcohol at all. She checked with her supervisor and it was A-OK and they sold / charged the package to just me, not for both of us. I did try the house wine and it was not so much to my liking. I definitely did enjoy the premium wines and had many nice drinks throughout the cruise and definitely came out ahead spend-wise by purchasing the package. Cheers!

Wow! That's surprising!

13 hours ago, BradDFWTX said:

As I think we see with a variety of things that it depends on the Viking Crew and Supervisor that are involved what the outcome is.

I will say that you will likely not achieve purchasing for one prior to the cruise, but once onboard, if you talk the right way to the right people, it is not impossible to achieve.

Remember however that you have access to anything that you want at anytime by paying for it so you must be drinking more than the cost of the package per day or it is not worth it.

• Like 2