tips for cruising on my own

zebs

Hello

I might go cruising on my own soon.  Any tips for getting a good price?

I tried doing a dummy booking online to compare prices for 1 person in a cabin, and then 2 people in a cabin, and the price came out cheaper to book for 2 passengers (including discounts and taxes).  So can I book a room for 2 and pretend I have another person with me until the last minute and after I have paid in full? Would I be made to pay the single supplement since I am alone, but have paid for 2 people?  

Thanks in advance  😀

51 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is a whole section of Cruise Critic devoted to solo cruisers:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/

No, you can't pretend you are two, when there is only one. The ship must account for everyone for Immigration and safety purposes.

I’ve heard of folks booking a dummy person, or TBA, and have them be no shows.

• Like 1

As a solo cruiser, I agree with the advice to take a look at the solo cruising board.

If ships persist in creating solo rates higher than a booking for 2 pax, I would say that they can expect a higher percentage of "now show" cabin mates in future!  (Yes, people do it.)

• Like 3

I think the cruise lines are getting pushback from the recent solo fares.  I recently in the last week experimented with Carnival and Celebrity and the solo fare was less, but not much less than the double occupancy fare.  EM

There are some decent solo deals out there. Come over to the solo boards for most of the info you need. Also you don’t mention which cruise line you’re trying to book with.  So far I’ve cruised celebrity and NCL solo and had a ghost scheduled for a RCI cruise but I now have a roommate. 

NCL is setting itself apart by being very solo friendly with gatherings every evening. They have solo cabins in almost every category on every ship. 

Go to the solo board for helpful hints 

If the price to book solo is higher than 2 people, I book for 2 people, have a no show and get taxes and port fees back for the no show.

On 2/15/2024 at 10:09 PM, SoloAlaska said:

There are some decent solo deals out there. Come over to the solo boards for most of the info you need. Also you don’t mention which cruise line you’re trying to book with.  So far I’ve cruised celebrity and NCL solo and had a ghost scheduled for a RCI cruise but I now have a roommate. 

NCL is setting itself apart by being very solo friendly with gatherings every evening. They have solo cabins in almost every category on every ship. 

Except that they dont let anyone know when those solo gatherings will happen. I was just on the Getaway in the Studio accommodations. Very nice.  There were plenty of occupied cabins, I never saw more than one man in the lounge at one time, never saw a bartender although there was a bar. I never saw any announcement or information about a solo gathering anywhere on the ship. It was okay because I wouldnt have gone anyway, I was just trying out the solo accommodations.  So it you are looking for solo gatherings, better ask our room attendant. to be fair, there might have been something in the Dailies. I want looking for that.  I would think there would a notice posted in the Studio lounge

Edited by Smitheroo

7 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

Except that they dont let anyone know when those solo gatherings will happen. I was just on the Getaway in the Studio accommodations. Very nice.  There were plenty of occupied cabins, I never saw more than one man in the lounge at one time, never saw a bartender although there was a bar. I never saw any announcement or information about a solo gathering anywhere on the ship. It was okay because I wouldnt have gone anyway, I was just trying out the solo accommodations.  So it you are looking for solo gatherings, better ask our room attendant. to be fair, there might have been something in the Dailies. I want looking for that.  I would think there would a notice posted in the Studio lounge

It’s in the Dailies every day and on the schedule on the app. Considering a lot of solo cruisers aren’t staying near the studio lounge and many ships don’t even have the lounge it makes sense to post it where everyone can view it. The solo meet up on my Gem TA had well over 100 people on the first night and on average over 40 people per night. They had to switch us to larger venues and get us more bartenders when in spinnaker. Having a great solo coordinator makes all the difference. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

It’s in the Dailies every day and on the schedule on the app. Considering a lot of solo cruisers aren’t staying near the studio lounge and many ships don’t even have the lounge it makes sense to post it where everyone can view it. The solo meet up on my Gem TA had well over 100 people on the first night and on average over 40 people per night. They had to switch us to larger venues and get us more bartenders when in spinnaker. Having a great solo coordinator makes all the difference. 

Well I think its really pushing it for solos to expect to all dine together in the MDR. or sit together at an evening show. Glad I like to hang out by myself or make friends by myself and meet them for dinner.  But you're right- it is in the newsletter but since I wasnt looking for it I didnt notice the announcement right away.    The Studio lounge is nice for people traveling together to get together but I never saw it nor did I ever see a bartender, yet there was a bar. Fine for me, I just went to a bar in the public areas of the ship