The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday February 16th,

kazu

Good afternoon from Ensenada.  I'm late today for several reasons beginning with a nice evening yesterday in B. B. King including the Chocotlate Surprise.  This is the best B. B. King group we've seen.  This morning we slept until a little after 8am, and when we woke up, we were already docked.  The captain did a good job of getting us here six hours early.  Even then, we were only going about 17 knots all the way from Hilo.

After breakfast, I made a quick trip into town to pick up some things.  I did not find what I wanted, or if I did, it was not at a price I was willing to pay.  In a few weeks, we'll be making a day trip to Algodones.  The good thing is, no one can beat the prices in Algodones.  Even two merchants adnitted that.

Once back on board, we made quick work of packing 😔, and now we can enjoy the rest of the day.  It's sunny and would be a good afternoon to sit outside on our balcony, if we were on the other side of the ship. There is a stong breeze coming off the Pacific which is making it cool.

I won't be doing a grouch a favor today since I try to avoid them when cruising.  I will salute Elizabeth Peratrovich and the work she did to gain equality for native Alaskan women.  No fish fry tonight.

An interesting quote from a funny man, Buddy Hackett.  Luckily, I normally liked what my mother cooked.

We'll pass on the meal and the drink.  We like a good Melbec, but not at that price.

We have not visited Rockland, Maine, so I don't have any pictures to share.

Four more interesting days in history.

@Mr. Boston  BON VOYAGE.  I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

@Lady Hudson  Welcome home.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, I'm glad you got a little more sleep.  Have you considered taking Benadryl on other nights?  I hope the floor refinishing goes smoothy.

@ger_77  Gerry, it was sad but not unexpected news aboutmtje death of Alexei Navalny.

@Nickelpenny  Penny, have a safe trip, and an early BON VOYAGE.   I probably won't look at the Daily until we get home tomorrow.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I have a reputation for being grumpy, not grouchy. No favors for me today, and also no fish fry. I grew up in the Middle West, in a predominantly Catholic city, and I thought that it was a Jewish custom to eat fish on Friday. That was the only day that fresh ocean fish was available.

Chicken ragout would be OK with me but dinner is actually an aperitif with cheese, vegetable medley, and cacio e pepe. I would try the first version of the cocktail but wouldn't buy the St-Germain to make it at home. I haven't been a fan of Chilean Malbec but never had this one. It's not a variety I expected to find from a Finger Lakes winery, but Thirsty Owl has one, at $33.95, so I probably won't be trying it, either. I've been to Bar Harbor on a cruise ship and Portland, Maine, in a land trip, but never Rockland. I have been to Rockland County in New York.

It is possible that I'm finished with my income-tax return, but I won't file it for several more weeks. Every time that I have filed this early, I've received a corrected document the next day.

Angelspoke.jpg.9534011de8d791a5996b4371b767af62.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 5

13 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Today, the big cake extravaganza was held in the Lido.  I got there before they started serving, even then, there was already a line.  Since it was a port day, there wasn't a big crush of people.

20240216_113849.thumb.jpg.8fa77536d94cfd17a395830645e2beb3.jpg

20240216_113853.thumb.jpg.8d41ed72f05a10f7fd8ae700f1e4d152.jpg

Lenda

Can't say it enough - HAL bakers are the best - they do such best work creating gorgeous cakes. Good job on getting "new" cakes - I can never get there soon enough so most of the cakes in my pictures are missing slices. 😒

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

News is reporting the Trafficking Taskforce found a 12 year old girl today. There has been an Amber Alert for her for 2 days. She was alone in a motel room. Her name and picture have been plastered everywhere as officers and agents have been looking for her, but now the TV station is saying they've been asked to no longer use/show either; I agree with that request. Such a relief she's been found, but frustrating the person(s) responsible for her being there has not been apprehended. 

Also, the rabies results on the coyote that was captured and euthanized yesterday came back negative. That's a huge relief for the children that were attacked as well as any animals that may have survived attacks. Now, they just need to capture the other coyotes.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

I enjoy most of the memes on the Daily, but I particularly enjoyed @Nickelpenny's one on the elevator.  Today was a good day.  Most of the snow is gone, so no problem driving.  A year ago I had a large toenail removed as it was ingrown.  Unfortunately, it didn't grow back very good and if I wear a regular shoe, it presses on it with some pain.  Went to the Bremerton Naval Hospital today and a really nice podiatrist trimmed it properly, prescribed some cream to soften it and when she heard that I was flying to Sydney this weekend, gave me some pressure socks so I don't get a blood clot from my legs on the long flight.  I am really happy that since I retired from the Navy I am able to get healthcare from them.

Tomorrow I will go to SeaTac airport and pick up a rental car.  Will drive it home so we can leave really early to get to SeaTac and catch our 9:00 AM flight to SFO.  Then fly to Auckland, and then to Sydney. 

Then we board the Seabourn Sojourn for 33 days of their World Cruise, debarking in Taiwan.  Plan to stay there 17 days and celebrate our 61st wedding anniversary on 30 March.  Sara found a copy of our wedding invitations from 1963 and noticed that we had our reception at the First Hotel there.  Thinking about hosting a dinner there on that date for our friends and relatives in Taipei.  In 1963 it was one of the better hotels in Taipei.  Need to check it out as it might be kind of shabby by now.

I am 84, but life is still good.

Ray 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Congrats Ray @USN59-79 on your 61st anniversary, your wonderful Seabourn cruise, and the party you will plan in Taiwan.  Sounds memorable to me!  I'm so glad the toe problem was looked at and I hope it begins to heal properly.  Good luck with that flight!  Definitely not my favorite way to spend those hours!

• Like 11

Greetings from the lovely Volendam!

We have been in Fremantle (Perth) for 2 days and having a great time. 

Yesterday along with Lorraine @cruising sisterand Caron @Cruisercl we went on a tour with others from Cruise Critic to the Pinnacles Desert. It was one of the best tours we’ve ever been on. We had dinner and wine while stargazing. They supplied the telescope and binoculars. A good time was had by all!

We didn’t return to the ship until midnight so it was a bit hard to get up early for our wine tasting tour today (but worth it on all counts). 

I’m having trouble uploading photos but here are a few. 

IMG_2504.thumb.jpeg.b5db9a27042babffef27d9fa0db5bcec.jpeg

IMG_2534.thumb.jpeg.f760d48030b6443eb122bb6e9615bdf8.jpeg

IMG_3624.thumb.jpeg.6f197bc69a4eeb17a70234cb2f00d857.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Yesterday along with Lorraine @cruising sisterand Caron @Cruisercl we went on a tour with others from Cruise Critic to the Pinnacles Desert. It was one of the best tours we’ve ever been on. We had dinner and wine while stargazing. They supplied the telescope and binoculars. A good time was had by all!

We didn’t return to the ship until midnight so it was a bit hard to get up early for our wine tasting tour today (but worth it on all counts). 

Pretty shots. We probably won’t catch up as we are in New Zealand but having great cruise and experience. The same wishes to you. B.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Carolyn, I'm you are having a great time.  Thanks for the pictures.

Lenda

• Like 2