Communicating on board without wifi package

Jubilee in 21 days. 🎉🎉🎉🙌🙌🙌We haven't cruised since 2018 and never on carnival. We are only getting one Wi-Fi package for my husband so that he can do some work. In my research it seems like you can use the carnival Hub app on airplane mode to communicate with your cabin mates? Is that correct? Are there phones in the rooms?

TIA😘

Your family can all pay $5 each and be able to text with one another through the Hub app.  It is somewhat spotty but a cheap way to communicate with one another.  You would be able to utilize with anyone on the ship with the feature (not just family).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chat is $5 per person for the length of the cruise no matter how long the cruise is and no matter when you buy it.

Phones are in the rooms and all around the ship.

You can also just talk to people the old fashioned way, face to face.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

if you all have iPhones, then you SHOULD be able to chat with each other via iMessage as long as you are connected to the same ship wifi you use for the Hub app (airplane mode ON). Didnt believe it myself before our cruise last year, but it worked like a charm!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScubaDuck said:

if you all have iPhones, then you SHOULD be able to chat with each other via iMessage as long as you are connected to the same ship wifi you use for the Hub app (airplane mode ON). Didnt believe it myself before our cruise last year, but it worked like a charm!

It didn't work for my nephew and sis in law on the Mardi Gras for New Years. They both have iphones and couldn't text or get texts. My mom had the wifi package and my brother communicated with her. He didn't cruise with us due to work.

9 hours ago, ScubaDuck said:

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it doesn't work the entire cruise and sometimes it works for part of a cruise. Sometimes it works the whole cruise. Tough to predict. I wouldn't rely on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/16/2024 at 10:04 PM, ScubaDuck said:

Didn't work for us on our January Valor cruise.

Before signing up, if you have iPhones, try texting once you're at sea. Some lines and ships have a loophole where you can text through the ship's wifi for free using iMessage, which is easier and less clunky than ship apps. I know it worked for me on Norwegian Joy, but I haven't tried it on Carnival.