On the fence and need honest advice

bdever

Hi everyone,

I am new here and haven’t sailed Oceania. I have sailed with Carnival, Princess, and Virgin Voyages with a Royal Caribbean transatlantic later this year. I am 49 years old and solo. I’m thinking seriously about booking a solo on Sirena for October 2025 10 day Med. I am already booked on an NCL 12 day Med for the same period but with all the bad press NCL has about missing ports I’m having second thoughts. The NCL itinerary is amazing 🤩 and it is $4k. The Sirena is $4.7K and I’m also looking at a Virgin Voyages 10 day for $5.4K. All have similar itineraries. My questions are:

1. Will there be other solos on Oceania my age? Age 45-55?

2. I like to dance & listen to Latin music, go to shows, comedy at night onboard and stay entertained until about midnight including hot tubs at night. Will Sirena hold my interest?

3. Would the transition from sailing on ships of 2,800+ capacity to one of 700 capacity be a hard transition?

4. Should I reconsider the NCL Sky itinerary or consider the Virgin Voyages one instead?

Thanks for your honest input.

IMG_9750.jpeg

1702683384698blob.jpeg

IMG_9754.jpeg

IMG_9753.jpeg

IMG_9752.jpeg

Small ships are great but they do not offer the things you seem to value.

No big shows/production numbers

Average age of the cruisers is definitely higher than yours

Can't really comment on solo passenger ratio but bet it is very low.

Most of the bars shut down by midnight 

Our last cruise had a string quartet playing at various times, afternoon/early evening

Pianist in the main bar shut it down by 10 or 11 pm 

By the way Oceania is owned by NCL  Supposedly they are run independently but I have to think a lot of the issues being blamed on NCL head office could leak over to O.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Well, you've asked us to be honest,  so I will be. I really don't think Oceania has anything going for you. The age group is older, the entertainment minimal and, from our cruise on Nautica last year, the small ship can feel very empty in public rooms at times even when full. It's just not for you. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thebsinmiss said:

Small ships are great but they do not offer the things you seem to value.

No big shows/production numbers

Average age of the cruisers is definitely higher than yours

Can't really comment on solo passenger ratio but bet it is very low.

Most of the bars shut down by midnight 

Our last cruise had a string quartet playing at various times, afternoon/early evening

Pianist in the main bar shut it down by 10 or 11 pm 

By the way Oceania is owned by NCL  Supposedly they are run independently but I have to think a lot of the issues being blamed on NCL head office could leak over to O.  

Ah, thanks! Explains the very similar itineraries 

Entertainment is more low key than what you may be used to but there is a show in the lounge every night starting at 9:30.  When the show is over the ship will be quiet at 10:30 especially if the next day is an early port day.  There are a couple of sea days on this itinerary so the Horizons bar at 10:30 could be livelier on those nights with the band playing. 

My opinion is that you will not feel out of place as a 49-year old. I was on a 7-day Med cruise last year on Nautica and I'd estimate late 40's the average age on that cruise. Many people who were in the prime of their careers. I'm in my late 60's and definitely felt like one of the older folks onboard.  You won't feel out of place as a solo either. 

Enjoy your cruise no matter which one you choose. 

11 minutes ago, sunlover12 said:

Entertainment is more low key than what you may be used to but there is a show in the lounge every night starting at 9:30.  When the show is over the ship will be quiet at 10:30 especially if the next day is an early port day.  There are a couple of sea days on this itinerary so the Horizons bar at 10:30 could be livelier on those nights with the band playing. 

My opinion is that you will not feel out of place as a 49-year old. I was on a 7-day Med cruise last year on Nautica and I'd estimate late 40's the average age on that cruise. Many people who were in the prime of their careers. I'm in my late 60's and definitely felt like one of the older folks onboard.  You won't feel out of place as a solo either. 

Enjoy your cruise no matter which one you choose. 

Thanks what time of year did you sail?

Sailed on Sirena 10 nights 11/2022 in the E. Caribbean. And 30 nights on Riviera, ten in 12/2021 and 20 in 10-11/2023.

"My questions are:

1. Will there be other solos on Oceania my age? Age 45-55? THERE ARE ONLY A HANDFUL OF SOLO CABINS. THE MAJORITY OF CRUISERS WERE SEEN HAVE BEEN IN THEIR 70s. WE ARE IN OUR LATE 50s AND FELT YOUNG BUT IN A DECENT WAY. MET LOTS OF NICE PEOPLE BUT THEY MOSTLY ARE OLDER.

2. I like to dance & listen to Latin music, go to shows, comedy at night onboard and stay entertained until about midnight including hot tubs at night. Will Sirena hold my interest? DOUBTFUL. MUSIC SKEWS TO THINGS LIKE POP AND SHOWTUNES. HAVE ENJOYED THE COMICS BUT YOU'D LIKELY GET 2-3 PERFORMANCES IN 12 NIGHTS. THINGS GO REAL QUITE REAL FAST AFTER ABOUT 10:30 PM. POOL IS VERY SMALL AND MAINLY FOR WALKING, NOT SWIMMING. HOT TUBS CLOSE LONG BEFORE MIDNIGHT.

3. Would the transition from sailing on ships of 2,800+ capacity to one of 700 capacity be a hard transition?  I SUSPECT IT WOULD.

• Thanks 1

Have you looked into Celebrity?  We took a similar cruise with this itinerary several years ago.  It was out of Southampton, I believe.  I think you would be much happier with Celebrity or one of the other lines you mentioned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Have you looked into Celebrity?  We took a similar cruise with this itinerary several years ago.  It was out of Southampton, I believe.  I think you would be much happier with Celebrity or one of the other lines you mentioned.

Thanks, I didn’t see anything like this itinerary for Celebrity but I will double check again 😁

• Like 1

I took my first O cruise in 2019 as a solo cruiser at 45. When I dropped off my luggage, the porter chuckled and said, "you're going to be the life of the party!" Apparently I was the youngest person he'd seen all day. I was a little apprehensive, but had a great time! Even went to a few solo cruiser meetups. But I'm a happy camper with good food, a comfy room with a balcony, a book, and a glass of wine. I met a lot of lovely people and promptly booked another O cruise. They're now my cruise line of choice.

The cruises you're looking at are pretty port intensive - I would imagine the party won't be going late on any of them. Lots of folks will be getting up early, going all day on shore, and going to bed early. (We did a Carnival sailing around Iceland last summer, and the ship was dead after 10:30 or 11:00!) O won't have huge production shows, late night parties, or a lot of younger folks - but it's relaxing. We quite enjoy the slower pace, smaller crowds, no photographers, and little to no wait to get on/off the ship. 

Long story short, I don't know that O has exactly what you're looking for - but I also think it might surprise you on a port heavy itinerary. Good luck with your choice, OP! I think you'll have a great time no matter what you choose.

• Like 1

It really depends what you are looking for.

We sailed on 12 different lines, once we switched to smaller lines, we never looked back. Service, food, no crowds, no lines - there is no comparison. But we sail mostly for the itineraries, not the ship. Evening entertainment is not the same on small ships (in most cases), but it's less important to us. We typically spend most of the day in ports, come back to the ship, have dinner, go to the evening show and then go to bed around 10-10:30. We are in our late 50s and still are among the youngest couples on most sailings. So what?

That said, I would not take O to the Caribbean cruise. But for Europe, it's among the best, and best value for money in my opinion.

• Like 1

People are different.  Asking the question may get you more mixed up. Relax. I have met singles on many cruise lines.  They are looking for the same thing as couples.  Everyone wants great food, good service, and a pleasant voyage.  Some lines have more activities and entertainment.  If you want big entertainment , the big mass market lines may be more attractive. If you prefer more relaxing atmosphere with no lines or crowds, smaller ships are for you.  Some lines don’t have kids. Some lines can access ports not open to big ships.  Longer cruises often have older people. They have more time.  If you are trying a new line, you might try a week cruise.  
The first time we took a 2 week cruise, I was 50.  When we took the cruise line transfer, we were much younger than the other people on the bus. We wondered if we had made a mistake.  Once onboard, we found other people like us.  Had a great time.  
we have sailed on many cruise lines. We find Oceania is usually a good fit for us.  

14 hours ago, bdever said:

Yes, that is the month Spaniards take annual holiday. Way younger crowds.

The vast majority of passengers on my August cruise were American.  The reason why this particular cruise attracted so many younger people was that it was 7 days.  A short cruise attracts a younger crowd, a long cruise will attract an older crowd.  It was also port intensive with no sea days which, IMO, will skew to the younger side. 

I would stick with Virgin. You are right. The stuff we are hearing out there about NCL is NOT good. I think you will have a better time. When you are older (like sixties or seventies) and food means more to you than dancing, partying, etc. come on back to Oceania. But until then, go have fun on Virgin.

• Like 2

Yes I think a few posters have highlighted the length of a cruise, shorter is cheaper, time of year, summer is busier, hotter (in Europe) and busier (school holidays). So each type of cruise attracts different passengers.

In my experience, and it is only my experience, the Caribbean tends to attract younger passengers especially on 7 night cruises. Europe attracts an ‘older’ crowd, especially from the US I guess in part because of flight costs etc.

Having sailed in the Caribbean, Asia and Europe with Oceania I’m not sure that any itinerary apart from the Caribbean would suit your needs. In saying that, the ‘small ship’ experience, the inclusivity, the service and the food may just suit you really well. The whole experience is different to the large/larger ships when every single thing is an up charge!

Maybe worth trying to see!

14 hours ago, bdever said:

Thanks, I didn’t see anything like this itinerary for Celebrity but I will double check again 😁

The cruise was in 2015, but I have seem similar itineraries since.  I have not looked recently. Below was our  schedule..  We added 4 nights in London.

21 OCT

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND, TENERIFE, CANARY ISLANDS, MADEIRA (FUNCHAL), PORTUGAL, VIGO, SPAIN, AT SEA, LISBON, PORTUGAL, LA CORUNA, SPAIN, AT SEA, AT SEA, GRAN CANARIA, CANARY ISLANDS, SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND  

• Thanks 1

I'm also new to Oceania but when I look at the Itinerary you posted not sure how much of a night owl you may be.    It is a very port intensive itinerary and both you and others may be quite worn out after a long day in port and then dinner. 

While we are outside your target audience, we are European and will never dine until the latest time available to still be let into the restaurant.   Personally we know that Oceania will be different than other (we are also new Oceania cruisers) but thought we would try it out and see if it's a fit for us. 

• Like 1