Silversea vs Seabourn

babydrum

19 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

We were on the old Crystal. From what I read, the new Crystal is similar. We enjoyed the OC very much, but I find the current pricing of the NC not competitive at all. The ships are still over 25 years old, and the cabins are still small. Not a big factor for us if the price was competitive, but paying 20-25% more for a 210 sqft cabin on a 25 years old ship is just not my definition of value.

You are aware that many of the 210 sq ft cabins have been combined to make 350 to 450 sq ft cabins?? The vast number of cabins are now "suites". How do the rates compare to the new rates with the recent fare increases on the other luxury lines. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

You are aware that many of the 210 sq ft cabins have been combined to make 350 to 450 sq ft cabins?? The vast number of cabins are now "suites". How do the rates compare to the new rates with the recent fare increases on the other luxury lines. 

Yes, I'm well aware of it. But for those bigger cabins, the prices are even crazier.

I just looked at few sailings for summer 2025.

SB has many sailings around $500-550 USD per night. Crystal starts around $600-650 for standard OV room (210 sqft) while AQUAMARINE suites (323 sqft) are around $900. 

To me, those prices are crazy. I don't mind being in a 210 sqft room, but the price should reflect it. I would try Crystal even if the price was similar to entry level cabin on SB, but paying 20-25% more for a smaller cabin on a much older ship just doesn't make sense to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

But how does the comparison work if you are a solo?

If I see a  Seabourn cruise that interests me, I look at the solo pricing and turn away fast.

Sorry, no idea and they weren't published.  It was just a quick scan, and there are quite a lot of things to consider, depending on what is important to you. Some of us want more formal evening dress, more restaurants to choose from etc.  But if perhaps doing three cruises as against two per year appeals, say, price can  be the most important thing.

39 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Yes, I'm well aware of it. But for those bigger cabins, the prices are even crazier.

I just looked at few sailings for summer 2025.

SB has many sailings around $500-550 USD per night. Crystal starts around $600-650 for standard OV room (210 sqft) while AQUAMARINE suites (323 sqft) are around $900. 

To me, those prices are crazy. I don't mind being in a 210 sqft room, but the price should reflect it. I would try Crystal even if the price was similar to entry level cabin on SB, but paying 20-25% more for a smaller cabin on a much older ship just doesn't make sense to me.

Both Seabourn and SSea staff are inconsistent in service and food in my opinion is nowhere near the new Crystal. In my opinion the new Crystal service and food are amazing….I personally believe better than before. Our butlers on Crystal definitely went above and beyond ….much better than any we had on other lines including SSea. My last Crystal cruise in December was when I was recuperating from knee surgery and the concern I received from the staff makes me tear up. The staff really make you feel part of the Crystal family and that is priceless and worth the higher costs. I would rather go on three cruises on Crystal instead of four on SSea and Seabourn. The only SSea we are likely to go on are the Expeditions and we are currently booked on The Endeavour as the ship ( built by Crystal) is technically amazing.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Emdee said:

Both Seabourn and SSea staff are inconsistent in service and food in my opinion is nowhere near the new Crystal. In my opinion the new Crystal service and food are amazing….I personally believe better than before. Our butlers on Crystal definitely went above and beyond ….much better than any we had on other lines including SSea. My last Crystal cruise in December was when I was recuperating from knee surgery and the concern I received from the staff makes me tear up. The staff really make you feel part of the Crystal family and that is priceless and worth the higher costs. I would rather go on three cruises on Crystal instead of four on SSea and Seabourn. The only SSea we are likely to go on are the Expeditions and we are currently booked on The Endeavour as the ship ( built by Crystal) is technically amazing.  

We didn't do SB yet, but I agree that SS service can be inconsistent. And with the recent price increase, I don't find value in SS anymore.

However, we enjoy Oceania very much, and can book it around $400. I find food on O excellent and service very good too. To me there was nothing on SS or Crystal that made them more luxurious than O when we look at things that are important to us.

Crystal might feel like family if you did dozens of cruises on their ships, know the crew and they know you. On our cruise on C in 2019 we felt like outsiders. Doesn't mean the service wasn't good, on the contrary. But part of the family? Not really, at least this was not our feeling. To some people it's worth the extra cost. To others it's not. Especially if you sail for destinations and not see the ship as a destination.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I compared a couple of 2025 itineraries on Silversea in a  Silver Suite (our usual choice)  to the Cystal Symphony Junior Penthouse (which seems to be comparable, although smaller). Despite thd SS price increases, the Crystal Junior Penthouse is about $500 more per person per night-  if you pay in full at booking  - otherwise about $700 more pp per night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

We didn't do SB yet, but I agree that SS service can be inconsistent. And with the recent price increase, I don't find value in SS anymore.

However, we enjoy Oceania very much, and can book it around $400. I find food on O excellent and service very good too. To me there was nothing on SS or Crystal that made them more luxurious than O when we look at things that are important to us.

Crystal might feel like family if you did dozens of cruises on their ships, know the crew and they know you. On our cruise on C in 2019 we felt like outsiders. Doesn't mean the service wasn't good, on the contrary. But part of the family? Not really, at least this was not our feeling. To some people it's worth the extra cost. To others it's not. Especially if you sail for destinations and not see the ship as a destination.

All of us have our hot buttons and price points as someone on the Crystal Board says choice is good. 
We tried Oceania in 2008 and it wasn’t our cup of tea at all. Have not tried them since then. We are still somewhat itinerary driven so Regent whom we have been cruising with since 2003 and Crystal and the SSea Endeavour cover our needs.  Seabourn has very good Caribbean itineraries so may sail them in order to break up our winter. 

51 minutes ago, Emdee said:

All of us have our hot buttons and price points as someone on the Crystal Board says choice is good. 
We tried Oceania in 2008 and it wasn’t our cup of tea at all. Have not tried them since then. We are still somewhat itinerary driven so Regent whom we have been cruising with since 2003 and Crystal and the SSea Endeavour cover our needs.  Seabourn has very good Caribbean itineraries so may sail them in order to break up our winter. 

Absolutely!

Things might have changed on Oceania in 16 years.. but it's good that not everyone likes it, more Oceania for us!

I think SB and SS are head to head competitors and there are now complaints about both.  At the very least they are both inconsistent but are courting the same clientele.  If the decision is between the two then itinerary should be a big deciding factor.  To me, price consideration comes after because cruising is not the only way I travel and I value going to new, interesting places with as few sea days as possible.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, sea bright said:

I compared a couple of 2025 itineraries on Silversea in a  Silver Suite (our usual choice)  to the Cystal Symphony Junior Penthouse (which seems to be comparable, although smaller). Despite thd SS price increases, the Crystal Junior Penthouse is about $500 more per person per night-  if you pay in full at booking  - otherwise about $700 more pp per night.

I have friends who sail both Silversea and Crystal - the Silver Suite on Silversea and a Sapphire Suite on Crystal. The Junior Crystal Penthouse (new suites built after Manfredi bought the ships) are considered a step up.

What is being proven other than we're people with different tastes/priorities?

I'm not booking something that is not affordable.  Currently SS and SB are high risk propositions for receiving value.  While both might have higher daily rates, Explora and Crystal are low risk for disappointment.  "We had a good time anyway" does not cut it for me.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, saminina said:

What is being proven other than we're people with different tastes/priorities?

I'm not booking something that is not affordable.  Currently SS and SB are high risk propositions for receiving value.  While both might have higher daily rates, Explora and Crystal are low risk for disappointment.  "We had a good time anyway" does not cut it for me.

my Explora was a great disappointment - never again 

different tastes ???

4 hours ago, vistaman said:

my Explora was a great disappointment - never again 

different tastes ???

Of course.  Have enjoyed reading your posts.  More than most on here, you have described yourself enough to be recognized on board.  We both gave up on SB a long time ago.  I passed on SS before you did.  Understand your Explora disappointment.  But how smart is it to catch an early sailing with any line?  No need to repeat what you went thru with Explora, it's a vivid memory in my mind.  All valid points for you and a bit off logic for me.  Note when I write Crystal and Explora being top choices, today or currently is in same sentence.  How long either can maintain what they offer is a question.  Nothing is set in stone with this market, including H-L.

3 minutes ago, saminina said:

Of course.  Have enjoyed reading your posts.  More than most on here, you have described yourself enough to be recognized on board.  We both gave up on SB a long time ago.  I passed on SS before you did.  Understand your Explora disappointment.  But how smart is it to catch an early sailing with any line?  No need to repeat what you went thru with Explora, it's a vivid memory in my mind.  All valid points for you and a bit off logic for me.  Note when I write Crystal and Explora being top choices, today or currently is in same sentence.  How long either can maintain what they offer is a question.  Nothing is set in stone with this market, including H-L.

actually it was the former representative of "old" Crystal for Europe who so strongly did recommend Explora to me " wonderful food , great Champagne , great wines  a service to die for" , and she is aware that I am a gastro freak ... 

I met a  friendly TA yesterday ( not my TA ) telling me a lot of complaints are issued on SS 

I will join new C  on 3rd June , already aware of the closing down of the MDR  and the onerous wine list ... ( will go and shop bubbles at Brussels airport , and in   France Italy and Croatia 🤑

Friends of mine were on the SS Dawn for the crossing in a very expensive top degree -no more fruit the last days .... in Tenerife there is a great food market however ...obviously they had to wait to the containers in Lisbon - is that 5 starred ??? 

• Like 1