Looking for opinions for cruises out of Cape Liberty

I am looking into 2 cruise options out of Cape Liberty this summer. One is on the Liberty with the only port of call being Bermuda - we are fine with that, we went there on a cruise on Anthem years ago and wished we had more time to explore Bermuda, so that solves that problem as we would be there for 2 days. 

The other option is on the Symphony but it goes to ports we aren't crazy about: Port Canaveral (meh), Coco Cay (big yuck for us), and Nassau (meh). 

Our first cruise many many years ago was on the Navigator when she was brand new, and actually really liked it, so we wouldn't mind Liberty although we know she's old and from what I've read, could use an update. It would definitely be nice to check out the Symphony, but alas the ports are kinda meh.

The last consideration is that I did the math, and I guess Bermuda must be more expensive for the cruise line because overall the Symphony is $362 CAD per person/night for 7 nights, whereas the Libert\y is $408 CAD pp/pn for 5 nights. Also the Symphony is a 7 night cruise which would be nice, it's only a 5 nighter for the Liberty. 

So do I want the newer ship that costs a bit less per night but to ports we aren't crazy about, or an older ship to a port we love at a slightly higher cost per night and a shorter cruise.

Opinions welcome. 🙂 

(edited to add: the cost is for a guarantee balcony - we don't mind living dangerously lol)

Edited by Leela62

We freqently cruise out of Cape Liberty because it's a fairly easy drive for us compared to driving or flying to Florida. So, we have done both of the interaries you mentioned. For me I would go with Symphony and do the 3 ports. There is enough to do on an Oasis class ship that if you don't care for the ports you don't really need to get off the ship. That being said we are going on Anthem next week with the same itinary and we be getting off at Port Canveral and take the shuttle to Ron Jon at Coco Beach. We'll do a little beach time and come back to the Port and stop by Fish Lips and have a beer outside with our ffavorite bartender who is starting to know us. At CocoCay we are going to Hideaway beach to enjoy the heated pool, the lounge chairs with padding and the different food options. Finally at Nassau we are going on a cateraman sail/snorkel tour with a 1 hour open bar. Looking forward to all 3 stops. Next October we will be boarding Symphony and will do it all again. Have a great cruise whichever one you pick.

• Like 4

My last 10 cruises have been out of Bayonne, DH doesn’t like to fly and a less than 2 hour drive. We do not get off the ship in port Canaveral or Nassau. There is so much to do on oasis that you won’t miss getting off the ship. 

• Like 1

Another vote here for Symphony!  I love the Oasis class ships and I've been on the Symphony and it was a great ship.  Those ports aren't my favorites either so like others said...stay on the ship.  I've done the Ron Jon excursion and I liked that.  We walked to the beach and just walked around.  It was hot when we were there but it was still nice.  I live in NJ so Port Liberty is great for us.

• Like 1

We have done the Cape Liberty to Port Canaveral, Coco Cay, Nassau a couple of times now. We get off at every port as it’s still relatively new for us being from the UK.

What I found is not many others get off and in fact next to no one at all got off at Nassau as on both occasions safety seemed to be a concern with most passengers (we have had great days at Junkanoo beach).

Not a problem, everyone is free to do what they want but it seemed to create a strange atmosphere on the ship with people staying on board for 7 days especially during the two sea days on the way back.

For that reason personally I would go to Bermuda.

Edited by Tin can
  • Like 1

Symphony! I love the ship.

Nassau- there are safe and fun things you can do there. You do not have to stay on the ship If you dont want to stay on all week. I was there on 2 cruises during the past two months. Got off both times and did something I enjoyed both  times. Plus, I did not feel unsafe there. It's not like the issues that are being reported there aren't happening in other places all over the world. But, not saying folks should not make their own decisions. Just saying we did not feel unsafe there and that nothing bad happened to us there during our last two recent cruises. 

Happy cruising. Enjoy whatever you choose. 🛳 🚢 

• Like 2

I'm not sure what summer month you are looking to cruise and whether this matters.

FL and the Bahamas can be very hot and humid and expect Symphony to have a lot more families with lots of children since it is an Oasis class ship.  

Bermuda is one of our favorites.  Never seems as hot as it does further south.    

I'll be boarding Anthem on March 3rd for same itinerary we have done many times and always have fun and enjoy getting away to warmer weather.  

If you have kiddos and don't mind the heat and humidity then I would do Symphony.    

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Leela62 said:

I am looking into 2 cruise options out of Cape Liberty this summer. One is on the Liberty with the only port of call being Bermuda - we are fine with that, we went there on a cruise on Anthem years ago and wished we had more time to explore Bermuda, so that solves that problem as we would be there for 2 days. 

The other option is on the Symphony but it goes to ports we aren't crazy about: Port Canaveral (meh), Coco Cay (big yuck for us), and Nassau (meh). 

Our first cruise many many years ago was on the Navigator when she was brand new, and actually really liked it, so we wouldn't mind Liberty although we know she's old and from what I've read, could use an update. It would definitely be nice to check out the Symphony, but alas the ports are kinda meh.

The last consideration is that I did the math, and I guess Bermuda must be more expensive for the cruise line because overall the Symphony is $362 CAD per person/night for 7 nights, whereas the Libert\y is $408 CAD pp/pn for 5 nights. Also the Symphony is a 7 night cruise which would be nice, it's only a 5 nighter for the Liberty. 

So do I want the newer ship that costs a bit less per night but to ports we aren't crazy about, or an older ship to a port we love at a slightly higher cost per night and a shorter cruise.

Opinions welcome. 🙂 

(edited to add: the cost is for a guarantee balcony - we don't mind living dangerously lol)

We have the symphony 9 night cruise booked for August.  Since we live on Long Island, NY, we really love a no fly cruise in the summer.  No hassle with airports and cheaper as we fly in a day before if we leave from Florida.

The Symphony is beautiful. It is an oasis class ship- newer and more venues then the Freedom class.  Been to Bermuda multiple times as we used to sail on Celebrity in the summer- but they no longer do Bermuda in August- Found Bermuda boring after a few sailings, the town is meh- While we probably will stay on the ship in Port Canaveral- we enjoy Coco Cay and Nassau.  To me, the ship is our destination.  Important to be on a newer modern ship.  We didn't like the Anthem as we found the layout not great.  Guess to each his/her own. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Leela62 said:

One is on the Liberty with the only port of call being Bermuda - we are fine with that, we went there on a cruise on Anthem years ago and wished we had more time to explore Bermuda, so that solves that problem as we would be there for 2 days. 

Sounds like you just answered your own question.

• Like 1

We are having the same dilemma. Only 90 minute drive to Bayonne,  We sailed oasis out of NJ in October, and sailing Liberty this summer to Bermuda. We really want to sail Symphony next summer, but just can't bring ourselves to basically pay more for the same exact cruise we did on Oasis, and basically the same ship. We LOVE the oasis class ships, but we just really have no interest in stopping at PC, Nassau OR Coco cay again, so we are actually looking at cruises out of Miami for next year, OR maybe doing a Canada run on Liberty, but want to make sure we like the ship this time around, first.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

We are having the same dilemma. Only 90 minute drive to Bayonne,  We sailed oasis out of NJ in October, and sailing Liberty this summer to Bermuda. We really want to sail Symphony next summer, but just can't bring ourselves to basically pay more for the same exact cruise we did on Oasis, and basically the same ship. We LOVE the oasis class ships, but we just really have no interest in stopping at PC, Nassau OR Coco cay again, so we are actually looking at cruises out of Miami for next year, OR maybe doing a Canada run on Liberty, but want to make sure we like the ship this time around, first.

The Canadian maritime ports are great. Something different if you haven't been there. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, HERDFAN said:

The Canadian maritime ports are great. Something different if you haven't been there. 

28 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Yeah, it seems beautiful, too! 

Yeah they are pretty nice but we are driving from Canada to Bayonne hahahaha - and I'm from Newfoundland so I'll pass of those lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone - you all gave me a lot to think about. We definitely don't want to be on ship for 7 days straight no matter how lovely it is. 

I watched some videos on Nassau and the port area looks a lot different than the last time we were there, so we can just walk around that area where it's fenced in - apparently that area is very safe. 

Coco Cay looks a lot different that the last time we were there too, so we can hop off the ship and do a couple hours there anyway.

Cape Canaveral looks pretty blah to be honest, we aren't really beach people so Coco Cay will be enough of that for us, and there doesn't seem to be anything else to do there (we already did Kennedy and all those attractions other times we vacationed in Orlando). I was kinda hoping we might be able to take some short of shuttle to Orlando but not sure if that's possible. 

Unfortunately with both of our work schedules, we are limited to June/July, and we love the idea of driving to a port from Ontario as opposed to the hassles of flying these days, and flying anywhere from Canada is stupid expensive. 

Edited by Leela62
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Leela62 said:

Thanks everyone - you all gave me a lot to think about. We definitely don't want to be on ship for 7 days straight no matter how lovely it is. 

I watched some videos on Nassau and the port area looks a lot different than the last time we were there, so we can just walk around that area where it's fenced in - apparently that area is very safe. 

Coco Cay looks a lot different that the last time we were there too, so we can hop off the ship and do a couple hours there anyway.

Cape Canaveral looks pretty blah to be honest, we aren't really beach people so Coco Cay will be enough of that for us, and there doesn't seem to be anything else to do there (we already did Kennedy and all those attractions other times we vacationed in Orlando). I was kinda hoping we might be able to take some short of shuttle to Orlando but not sure if that's possible. 

Unfortunately with both of our work schedules, we are limited to June/July, and we love the idea of driving to a port from Ontario as opposed to the hassles of flying these days, and flying anywhere from Canada is stupid expensive. 

Port Canaveral is a nice day to stick around and enjoy the ship, or you can do a few things in town, we took the city bus right outside the port to a mini golf\gator farm type place right down the road. You could also wander over to the restaurants right in the port and grab a drink or two and a bite to eat. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leela62 said:

We're from NJ and had a similar debate recently booking our cruise for summer 2025 -- 9 nights on Liberty to Bermuda & the Caribbean or 7 nights on Symphony to the standard (for NJ) blah ports. It really comes down to what you put an emphasis/priority on.

Symphony has a TON to do, new stuff to see and experience every day, far more dining options (especially if you like to try specialty dining). Liberty offers a far better port experience.

For us, CocoCay is a fantastic stop, Nassau has fine new port area and Port Canaveral has enough (albeit still limited) options that when added to the superior ship makes it our choice. And if you're questioning if you have time to take a shuttle to PC from Orlando --- if you're not looking to go to Disney and get your money's worth out of the park, you should have plenty of time to take a shuttle and shop/eat/etc.

If it's anything like the 5 nighter I just booked for my daughter, I would go with Anthem. Treat the ship as a destination. What I found with the 5 nights to Bermuda, yes, it's great that you're there overnight, but it's an awkward time (at least for their sailing). By the time the ship is cleared, you disembark, and you get to horseshoe bay, the day is getting short.

1 hour ago, Candleonwater said:

If it's anything like the 5 nighter I just booked for my daughter, I would go with Anthem. Treat the ship as a destination. What I found with the 5 nights to Bermuda, yes, it's great that you're there overnight, but it's an awkward time (at least for their sailing). By the time the ship is cleared, you disembark, and you get to horseshoe bay, the day is getting short.

We did the Anthem out of Cape Liberty already. . . it wasn't our favorite ship, no desire to do the same ship out of the same port to the same locations again. Funny though, Anthem isn't sailing out of Port Liberty in June/July when we can sail - they must be moving it elsewhere.