Help choosing first European cruise

Barcelona will be more convenient (unless things have changed). The port for Rome is about 40 minutes out but there is a convenient train if you stay near the train station in Rome OR go out and stay at the port the day before - which if you don't plan to sightsee would make it an easy embarkation.

• Like 2

Civitavecchia is a 45 minute drive from Rome FCO airport. The town isn’t blessed with many good hotels but you could stay at an airport hotel and easily transfer to the port the next morning.

Barcelona port is a 20 minute drive from BCN airport, close to the city centre and there are lots of good hotels to choose from.

So on balance I’d go for Barcelona if the flights work for you.

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

Barcelona is the better port for embarkation as it is right there in the city.  The port that is labeled as Rome is, in fact, located in Civitavecchia, about 45 minutes away. I would definitely fly into Barcelona several days early to explore! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TheSweetPotatoQueen said:

Trying to plan our first European cruise and looking for advice on which departure port to select. We’re considering either Rome or Barcelona to sail from. Looking for airport convenience close to cruise port, as well as hotel( we can only fly in a day early). 

The port for Rome is actually in Civitavecchia a good 45 minutes to an hour north of the airport at FCO. We flew into FCO and got a limo service to take us to Civitavecchia. We stayed at the San Giorgio Hotel in Civitavecchia which is about a mile from the port. They have a shuttle service to the port. Very nice, boutique style hotel across the street from the Mediterranean.  Beautiful sunset. If you go this route look up this hotel on-line. Highly recommend. 

• Like 1

My first trip to Europe, we sailed out of Barcelona - but that was mostly due to itinerary.  Also, it was cheaper to fly into Barcelona than Rome.  However, one of our ports was Rome and it was a tiring 10 hour tour day with so much to see.. I feel like I barely scratched the surface.  In September, we are sailing from Rome and flying in a couple days early to spend more time at the places I felt rushed at (like the Colosseum). 

I'd say consider the itinerary, do some mock bookings to get an idea of flight prices, and figure out what you want to see the most.  I did thoroughly enjoy our time in Barcelona so you can't go wrong with either. 

• Like 1

In July we were on a Med cruise out of Barcelona and flew in a few days before. We went to Villefranche, Marseille, Genoa, Portofino, and Livorno and it ended in Civitavecchia. After the cruise we spent 2 nights in Venice and then some time in Rome. It was such an amazing trip!

• Like 1

First decide if you want to visit Rome.  You won’t if you’re just flying in and going straight to the cruise port in Cavitavecchia.

Our cruise ended in “Rome” and we took a private car booked through our hotel and visited Rome for a few days.  You could do the reverse.

We are planning our first TA cruise out of Barcelona in November, so I am also looking for port/hotel info for there. Hopefully spending 2 days pre cruise.

• Like 1

My personal preference would be Rome, but please read my post here to help you decide. In summary, when deciding which port to use, I think it really comes down to 2 questions:

1. Which port would you like to spend extra days in (if you are spending any extra days)
  2. Which port would you not mind seeing "...in a day"

Here's some other previous discussions asking the same thing.

Edited by RobInMN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roupa said:

First decide if you want to visit Rome.  You won’t if you’re just flying in and going straight to the cruise port in Cavitavecchia.

Our cruise ended in “Rome” and we took a private car booked through our hotel and visited Rome for a few days.  You could do the reverse.

We are planning our first TA cruise out of Barcelona in November, so I am also looking for port/hotel info for there. Hopefully spending 2 days pre cruise.

We have done several TA'S out of Barcelona OCT/NOV.  Each time we stayed at Hotel 1898, upscale in the center of La Rambla, very quiet in the hotel,  within walking distance of Sagrada Familia , across from the underground, 10 minute taxi to the port. As soon as you leave the Med it is t shirts and shorts all the way to FLL. check it out. happy TA cruising, it is now our favorite way to cruise, wife and I both in our 70s and we love Oasis Class transatlantics. FYI Port side gets the sun all day, starboard never sees the sun.

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 2

I would definitely go with Barcelona only about 30 mins from airport , fantastic city , inexpensive restaurants, great hotels and tapas bars . We loved hotel universal Barcelona. I would definitely stay minimum 2 nights but prefer 3.

• Like 1

Definitely Barcelona 

The port is about a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport.

Hotel suggestions

Jazz

SB Diagonal Zero 

Hilton Diagonal Mar

Barcelona if sailing on an “ o “ class ship is regarded as day one with Rome ( a minimum 45 minutes transfer time over an hour in heavy traffic ) regarded as interporting,

Be sure to pre book any visitors tickets you may need for Park Guell or La Sagrada Familia.

If you have the time I’d recommend a minimum two or probably three days pre cruise.

Taxis are plentiful and there’s also a very good metro system. 

• Like 2