bottle of wine

kdmd3

Silly question from a 'first time in a long time' cruiser: I understand each person can bring 1 bottle of wine onboard. But is that just for the initial onboarding or does it apply to each port? Is there a limit to how big a bottle/box/jug/cask? If you're wondering if I'm an alcoholic; I'll drink to that! Cheers!

• Haha 2

Needs to be a normal size bottle.  As to ports?  It honestly depends on the ship.  You can bring more but you may be charged a corkage fee.  Or there may not be anyone at the desk and you just keep walking.  

• Like 2

😆 On  initial boarding's,  I/we have brought a case of 750's, and have had luck with as many as six 750's (those of you from sun city center, that's 6 ) without confiscation or corkage. however; your experience may vary. 😄

• Like 1

Last time I bought alcohol at a port, they held it until the end of the cruise when I boarded. Never again.

My advice for a wine drinker is to get the premier package. Those $18.00 to $20.00 dollar glasses of wine were so good. Why mess around? Live it up.

• Like 1

I'm told that, if one is embarking in Barcelona, liquor and wine are available for purchase after passing through security and can be brought aboard with no issues. (We did embark in Barcelona once but hadn't read that in advance and made no attempt to bring on "extra" items.

Each adult is permitted to carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine at embarkation for use in the cabin. If this bottle is brought to a public area like a DR it is subject to the $20 corkage fee. Fortified wines are not permitted. 

Additional bottles may be carried on board and are subject to a $20/bottle corkage fee on boarding. These bottles will be marked and can be used anywhere on the ship.

Regarding ports. The rule is any alcoholic beverage carried on at ports will be held and delivered to your cabin on the last evening of the cruise. In actual practice this rule is not consistently  enforced. You can't really know in advance if the bottles will be or will not be flagged by security. 

10 hours ago, 2and2 said:

Last time I bought alcohol at a port, they held it until the end of the cruise when I boarded. Never again.

My advice for a wine drinker is to get the premier package. Those $18.00 to $20.00 dollar glasses of wine were so good. Why mess around? Live it up.

Alcohol is treated differently than wine.  Policy is to hold alcohol.  Wine can be taken on board at ports.  Just know that it could attract the $20 corkage fee if brought to dining room.  Possibly assessed at re-boarding, but more unlikely if only carrying one per person.

Edited by Steelers36

8 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm told that, if one is embarking in Barcelona, liquor and wine are available for purchase after passing through security and can be brought aboard with no issues. (We did embark in Barcelona once but hadn't read that in advance and made no attempt to bring on "extra" items.

Your post reminds me of the "good old days" when PCL stationed a ship (it was the CB in my times) our of San Juan.  The terminal had a wine and liquor store just before boarding the ship, so it was easy to stock up without lugging wine to SJU.  We just did two times out of there back in the days when we went for only 7 nights.