Adding vs changing a guest prior to cruising

I am beginning to plan our next cruise which will be in a little over a year from now (March 2025). I KNOW that we will have 4 people going, but I don't know who that 4th person is.

2 rooms with 2 people each room

So, should I: 

1) book with a 4th person and just change the name later?

or

2) book with 3 people now, and then add the 4th person later when we know who it is.

Will one way vs the other have a lower/higher final cost?

The balances will not be the same between those choices.  I believe it would be better to do the first option.  You can always change the names but your amounts will be correct.  We have a similar situation coming up on Icon.  Our second daughter just got pregnant and will not be able to go, so were scrounging for another couple so we can keep the same rez and payment amounts which are much lower than current pricing.  We'll find someone who wants them and then change the names.

Edited by BecciBoo

Book your 3 names in the 2 cabins, the cabin with just one person in it, just have them put in "TBD" for the second person.

Then wait until you either have a confirmed second person for that second cabin. Best to do it before final payment though.

• Like 1

If you wait too long you may find you can not add the 4th person. It goes by life boat space. So say you book 3. Then the cruise starts filling up. Once your muster station is full you can't add that 4th person. It has happened to a few people that have come here to complain about it. I'd book with 4 and change the name later just to hold the space. 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, toxicfairy said:

If you wait too long you may find you can not add the 4th person. It goes by life boat space. So say you book 3. Then the cruise starts filling up. Once your muster station is full you can't add that 4th person. It has happened to a few people that have come here to complain about it. I'd book with 4 and change the name later just to hold the space. 

This, especially if you are looking at March, typically Spring Break meaning lots of people especially kids.  Better to book with 4 now even if the name is TBD and not worry about if space will be available when you decide who that will be.

Edited by akcruz

We did this for our March 2025 cruise. Put my friends name down and just waiting to figure out who that extra person would be. We booked almost 2 years out and 3 of us were single. The question is which one will have a SO 3 months before the cruise.

22 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

The balances will not be the same between those choices.  I believe it would be better to do the first option.  You can always change the names but your amounts will be correct.  We have a similar situation coming up on Icon.  Our second daughter just got pregnant and will not be able to go, so were scrounging for another couple so we can keep the same rez and payment amounts which are much lower than current pricing.  We'll find someone who wants them and then change the names.

Just remember you can't change both names on a cabin.  One original person in the booking has to sail (although they can change cabins onboard to move people around).

4 hours ago, LeeW said:

Just remember you can't change both names on a cabin.  One original person in the booking has to sail (although they can change cabins onboard to move people around).

While one original persons name must remain on the reservation they can be a no show at the pier and not actually sail.