Maleth confirms end of P&O partnership

minsterman

3 hours ago, carlanthony24 said:

It amazes me when during the decent you tell them in preparation for landing please make sure seats are in the up right position, arm rests are down and windows blinds open the amount of people that don’t listen to it or even listen to the safety demonstration. Favourite one departing/landing at night. The lights will now be dimmed incase of an emergency please use the reading light above you. Turn the lights back on erm no.

My favourite hate are "yappers". People who seem unable to keep their mouths shut during an announcement and keep on talking, preventing other people from hearing the announcement as well. Then they complain that no one told them. Yes they did, but you did not stop yapping to listen.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 13

6 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Said with feeling Pete14 ..... and we totally agree. The safety briefing tells you to keep your  belt on anyway and other than when moving around that's what we do. If the plane felt like we were on the Big Dipper I think that it'd be common sense. Sadly that is out of fashion in the blame culture of the C21st. 

I’m one who always keeps my belt on for the duration, even if the sign is off. You are in a metal tube hurtling through the air😂 

I can only (very broadly, and maybe wrongly) assume, these cheap cruise fares are attracting some people who may not have done many long haul flights so are not as accustomed to how to behave on planes. 

18 minutes ago, Glitterati said:

I’m one who always keeps my belt on for the duration, even if the sign is off. You are in a metal tube hurtling through the air😂 

I can only (very broadly, and maybe wrongly) assume, these cheap cruise fares are attracting some people who may not have done many long haul flights so are not as accustomed to how to behave on 

Sorry can't agree with that comment.  I don't think cruise fares have any bearing on how people behave on flights. I fly a lot and very rarely does anyone keep their seat belt on throughout the flight. It is down to the crew to enforce the rules. They failed on the flight concerned- simple as that. 

10 minutes ago, Beachlover62 said:

Sorry can't agree with that comment.  I don't think cruise fares have any bearing on how people behave on flights. I fly a lot and very rarely does anyone keep their seat belt on throughout the flight. It is down to the crew to enforce the rules. They failed on the flight concerned- simple as that. 

Clear air turbulence happens without warning and there would be no time for crew to do much so not sure how you can assume it is the crews fault. We always keep our seat belts loosely fastened and always have and we have also flown a lot.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Beachlover62 said:

It is not a legal requirement to have the belts on when the seatbelt sign is off. We has crew can't enforce it we can only enforce when on and if they disregard then its upon them. Guarentee at the altitude they were at and no turbulence seatbelt signs would of been off. If their had been turbulence serious enough to have them on then crew would go round to check assuming they can if it is safe enough. That is why we recommend to keep them on at all times. Blaming the crew without knowing the full story and really only possible to have two outcomes outlined above.  

I can confirm we were coming back from Tenerife clean air turbulence seat belt signs on we started doing our checks but could not complete due to how bad it got and flight deck told us to take seats where we could. 

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Glitterati said:

I can only (very broadly, and maybe wrongly) assume, these cheap cruise fares are attracting some people who may not have done many long haul flights so are not as accustomed to how to behave on planes. 

But there are the same rules wherever you fly to ..... anywhere in Europe as well as further afield. I've never been on a long haul flight ... and this news doesn't fill me with confidence ... but I know the rules from all other flights. ?????

8 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Clear air turbulence happens without warning and there would be no time for crew to do much so not sure how you can assume it is the crews fault. We always keep our seat belts loosely fastened and always have and we have also flown a lot.

Which is often advised as well 

But it's advice nothing more

Anyone who didn't keep their seatbelt on loosely only has themselves to blame

And may or may not choose to do so next time they fly

I will be keeping my own belt on 

• Like 3

Turbulence doesn’t discriminate between airlines.   Clear air turbulence incidents which this almost certainly is are on the rise.  Many blame it on climate change but the aircraft diverted safely.

any airline would have struggled on Christmas Eve to find a replacement aircraft and crew to fly out.   That’s the only criticism if any that can be levelled at Maleth. There will be the inevitable headlines of no information, stranded in a resort etc etc 

• Like 1

I found the article I read a few months back on the rise in CAT over the last 40 years, appears to be an increase of 55% over the North Atlantic and US, and it continues to rise as the earth warms up. 

I wonder how long it will be before wearing of seatbelts whilst seated is mandatory. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2377658-turbulence-on-flights-is-getting-worse-because-of-climate-change/

11 hours ago, Presto2 said:

But there are the same rules wherever you fly to ..... anywhere in Europe as well as further afield. I've never been on a long haul flight ... and this news doesn't fill me with confidence ... but I know the rules from all other flights. ?????

Correct, but I never really leave my seat on short haul. So long haul you are more likely to get up and about and may not put their belt back on. 

13 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Same here.....adopt the brace position...... charter flight seats ?.....not a chance.

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I found the article I read a few months back on the rise in CAT over the last 40 years, appears to be an increase of 55% over the North Atlantic and US, and it continues to rise as the earth warms up. 

I wonder how long it will be before wearing of seatbelts whilst seated is mandatory. 

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2377658-turbulence-on-flights-is-getting-worse-because-of-climate-change/

I was thinking the same

Make it mandatory

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

You can't police it.  People get up to go to the loo, stretch their legs.  You'd have the cabin crew walking around to make sure they strapped in again?  Wouldn't work.

Use the same system as you do in cars when seatbelt not fastened or insurance companies may decide if you are injured as a result of not using seatbelt then you won’t be covered or get get reduced compensation under insurance for any injuries. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Thedonkeycentrehalf said:

That is an article written by someone who is already terrified of flying.  There are some odd things in it.  So yes thunderstorms are dangerous, that's why you fly round them.  I have been in the cockpit when flying past a huge thunderstorm, you can see it flashing red in the middle.  Weird.  So you don't fly through those and you can see them on radar.  The reason airports cancel flights due to weather, is usually because there are either high winds that stop an aircraft taking off as it's above their minima.  Or thunderstorms in the vicinity of the airfield.

Clear Air turbulence on the other hand is not seen and can come from nowhere.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Use the same system as you do in cars when seatbelt not fastened or insurance companies may decide if you are injured as a result of not using seatbelt then you won’t be covered or get get reduced compensation under insurance for any injuries. 

How to believe they were not wearing a seatbelt.

25 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Wot report them to the police?  !!

Yea the flying squad 🙃

So to recap ..

Clear Air turbulence cannot be detected ,leave your seat at your own risk of getting nicked .

It must be Maleth's fault for having a plane up there 🤣

• Haha 6

On a side note, my Mum did the Virgin fear of flying course and she said it was fantastic! She is so much better after it. Despite flying her entire life she got a fear later on in her 40s. The course got them all up in a plane and the Captain told them what every noise was and why it was happening. They had psychologists and cabin crew helping during the day. I believe Easy Jet and BA offer something similar as well. 

19 hours ago, kalos said:

Yea the flying squad 🙃

So to recap ..

Clear Air turbulence cannot be detected ,leave your seat at your own risk of getting nicked .

It must be Maleth's fault for having a plane up there 🤣

My car tells me when the seat belt isn't fastened. They could have a warning ' If the plane crashed and you weren't wearing your seat belt, you will be in big ,big trouble '.

• Haha 5