Advice needed!

Jamyli3

My family of 8 will be cruising Carnival Panorama out of Long Beach, leaving May 24-June 2. I booked two balcony cabins. My husband will not be going now. Today is my final payment date which I am 100% paid. I have insurance on one cabin but not the one he is in. Should I add it today and then cancel him? Or just do a no show? My issue with that is I have my three older children in with him (he’s first guest) I have my 23 y/o daughter and two 19 y/o daughters assigned to his cabin. In mine I have my two 13 y/o boys and my oldest daughters boyfriend who is 23. My plan was to swap he and my husband out once on board. We’ve done this before. My fear is now without my husband going as guest 1 will they will not allow me to cruise basically with only me (adult) in one cabin? I know my girls are adults but they are under 25. My goal is to cancel him and try to get some money back even if it’s just OBC or future cruise fare. Please help. Thank you!!! 

Just a suggestion. You will likely receive various valid responses to your situation, but as this is a rather complex question, if you booked your cruise through a travel agent I would suggest contacting them for direction and any steps that may need be taken with the cruise line.  That is part of their responsibility in managing your booking.  If you booked directly or on line with the cruise line, you may want to reach out to them via a phone call to discuss your options as they are the ones who will ultimately have the final say on how this is resolved.

11 minutes ago, Jamyli3 said:

Thanks so much. I’ll contact carnival as I did book it through the 1800 number.

Good plan - give them a call and be sure to talk with someone live.  Have your booking numbers at hand and I would suggest providing a brief review of your concerns with whomever you talk to, but confirm with them that they are the right rep and in a position to assist. Some reps are more experienced or have the ability to make those changes than others.  If they are not, ask to elevate your call to a supervisor or other capable representative as you want to be sure your situation is understood and correctly resolved without hassle with that call.

Good luck!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

47 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I believe with Carnival you can book your children without an adult as long as they are in a cabin near you.  You would need to read the specifics on the Carnival website.  EM

the older kids can be booked anywhere on the ship…

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older) traveling in the balcony stateroom with them. 
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer. 
  • Like 1

Given the age of the kids they will have no problem being in that 2nd cabin, per the rules.

As others have suggested, calling Carnival to sort out your best economic outcome is the way to go. The Rep can discuss the various options with you including and fees to sub out your husband, possibly for a new guest. In light of the fact that you are still several months from sailing, I'm guessing there will be better alternatives than an eventual 'no show'.

Enjoy!

If you know that your husband isn't going, and then book trip insurance and file a claim based on his inability to go, that is insurance fraud.  

Edited by staceyglow
  • Like 2

Can you at least change guest 3 or 4 in his room to be guest 1, so you're no longer paying for a fourth guest?

As someone else said, buying insurance for the second room after you know he can't go would be insurance fraud.